“Pot Roast in a Cup!”

The Majestic Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Majestic Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 1,530 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The Majestic Restaurant carries on the Kansas City traditions of great food and great jazz. We serve brunch Saturday and Sunday, lunch Monday-Friday, and dinner seven nights a week. Featuring Kansas City's best dry-aged beef, chops, and seafood and located in the historic Fitzpatrick Saloon building at 10th and Broadway in downtown Kansas City, The Majestic Restaurant offers a true Kansas City dining experience like no other. Enjoy a great steak and fine wine in our main dining room alongside a grand bar dating back to 1910, or have dinner in our lower level jazz club, the site of an actual speakeasy during prohibition, all while listening to some of Kansas City's best jazz musicians seven nights a week. An extensive wine list, creative cocktails by nationally renowned bartender Shawn Moriarty, a list of over 100 whiskeys, and a sinful selection of delectable homemade desserts provide the perfect accompaniment to the meal and the music.
Reviewed January 13, 2017

We went for KC Restaurant Week. It was our first visit to what is talked about as a KC staple. The building is registered as an historic landmark. The look is very much like a saloon from the '20s. It is not a stuffy place, but one feels like they should at least wear a collared shirt and slacks. The downstairs has live jazz, but we did not sit there and did not get to hear the music. The music playing on the stereo was jazz, mostly light and of the Benny Goodman type. Not too loud and good for the ambiance.

The food was good, but looking at the main menu it can get pricey. The prix fixe menu for KC Restaurant Week was a very good deal. I tried the steak soup as my starter. It was like pot roast in a cup! The broth was more like a gravy, but in a very good and tasty way. Nice chunks of steak, some onion and the great broth. A bowl would have been an entree.

Sourdough bread comes with the meals and it is nicely done. It seemed to have a bit of foccacia texture and look, but the taste was sourdough. Nice touch.

For the main entree a nice bone in strip steak was my choice. It was about 8 oz, nice and thick. The meat was perfectly cooked, medium rare in my case, and had great flavor. It was a bit hard to cut especially around the bone, but I think it was the choice of steak knives provided.

The sides were orange ginger carrots and roasted potatoes. The carrots were cooked, but retained some crispness. The potatoes were buttered with a peppery taste.

The finale was a toffee bread pudding. It was a large portion and well sauced. Although it was a tad on the heavy side, it was not overly sweet.

The only minor (very minor) negative was the service. Although very nice and professional, our waiter did not seem to be familiar with the menu when we asked questions. A few orders were placed in front of the wrong persons at the table.

I would like to give this a solid 5 rating but if the everyday steak costs, on average, well over $40, the steak should be easier to cut and the staff extremely knowledgeable of the offerings.

Reviewed December 30, 2016

Don't let the old outside decor of the restaurant fool you. Salmon from a Scotland and local steak very good. Live jazz in the basement or dine quietly upstairs.

Reviewed December 29, 2016 via mobile

We were there the middle of December having dinner with our friends who had been to the majestic several times. It was in fact our first time there. We had 6 o'clock reservations downstairs in the jazz club. The dinner tables were very close together, crowded in fact. It was very busy so it affected service greatly. When our waitress was asked how many tables she was providing service for, she stated seven. We thought service was quite slow. My husband had a steak that was cooked to his perfection. My experience was not so good, I had ordered a salad with grilled salmon. When it arrived The salmon was not cooked thoroughly, was in fact slimy. Was not pleasing for my appetite. I felt like with prices as exorbitant as theirs is it should've been much better. The jazz music was very enjoyable for the dinner experience though. I'm not sure I would return.

Reviewed December 18, 2016 via mobile

A group of 7 were there pre-concert. (I use Open Table to make my reservations and it is flawless) It is a beef oriented menu but there are other items as well. I think vegetarians will probably not be impressed. The service was absolutely top notch. The steak soup is not to be missed. For all of the different orders, they all came out at the same time and were done perfectly. It is not the lowest cost choice for a dinner, but the quality of the food and service makes a "must visit" for anyone who wants a great steak.

Reviewed December 15, 2016

We arrived 20 minutes early for our reservation to check things out and see if we wanted to eat in Jazz Club area. While waiting we had a drink at the bar the drinks we awesome along with the bartender. After that when our friends arrived we went downstairs for dinner. The food was delicious. We had steaks, prime rib and scallops and everything was great. Service was awesome as well.