“Great steaks - old fashioned (good) service”

The Majestic Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Majestic Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 1,424 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The Majestic Restaurant carries on the Kansas City traditions of great food and great jazz. We serve brunch Saturday and Sunday, lunch Monday-Friday, and dinner seven nights a week. Featuring Kansas City's best dry-aged beef, chops, and seafood and located in the historic Fitzpatrick Saloon building at 10th and Broadway in downtown Kansas City, The Majestic Restaurant offers a true Kansas City dining experience like no other. Enjoy a great steak and fine wine in our main dining room alongside a grand bar dating back to 1910, or have dinner in our lower level jazz club, the site of an actual speakeasy during prohibition, all while listening to some of Kansas City's best jazz musicians seven nights a week. An extensive wine list, creative cocktails by nationally renowned bartender Shawn Moriarty, a list of over 100 whiskeys, and a sinful selection of delectable homemade desserts provide the perfect accompaniment to the meal and the music.
Columbia, Missouri
“Great steaks - old fashioned (good) service”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

A few years ago, I was in Kansas City on a business trip and stumbled on this restaraunt in the central district near my hotel. Last week I finally had a chance to go back. I had remembered the meal as very good, but I had forgotten how good! I ordered the Majestic steak (Broiled with peppercorn cream sauce), My lady ordered the small filet. The meat was dry-aged, melt in your mouth wonderful! The sauce was flavorful, but not overwhelming. We each ordered asparagus and we split one potato. The asparagus was roasted and to my taste slightly overdone, but that was the only discordant note for an otherwise superb meal.
The service was quick, efficiently unobtrusive. we were made to feel welcome and our needs anticipated. They did not come around with cutesy talk and we were able to enjoy a quiet dinner that felt more relaxed than any we've had in a long time. I would highly recommend this to anyone desiring a great, intimate dinner with a sweetheart or if you would like a great meal to end a business day.

• Visited June 2013

Huntington Beach, California
“Who Knew?”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We wanted a little KC style jazz. We needed a little KC style jazz. The front desk gal at the Hilton President suggested this local joint because it offered music every night and wouldn't be packed.

We made an early reservation for dinner (6:30) after being informed the music started at 6:00 pm and went on to 10:00 pm. On Thursdays, Friday and Saturdays, the music is performed in the basement of the building and goes into the night, but this being a "work day", 10:00 pm was it.

The restaurant is relatively small and inconspicuous right on Broadway. We were early. A table was available but we asked to go to the bar first for a cocktail and ultimately ate dinner at the bar.

Our bartender, Joe, kept us enterainted with information about Kansas City. The piano player and guitar player kept us entertained with upbeat jazz. Joe's recommendation to split the special of the night, a 12 oz flank steak, was right on.

In a city known for beef, Majestic may not be the most famous but it certainly knows how to do it right. In addition to a perfectly cooked steak we took advantage of the added portions that come with the split charge. Just the right amount of food.

A perfect rendition of a Kansas City dinner complete with jazz.

Visited May 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
“Excellent”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We were a party of 9 sited in the basement with the jazz quartet. My 8yr old grand daughter said as we were leaving I have always liked jazz. The steaks were excellent. The waiter could not have done more for us. When the water server poured water in Graces pop they immediately replaced it. The quartet was excellent, I have 2 professional musicians in the family and they both agreed the group was out standing. We all tried the chiefs special carrots which were very tasty. Only draw back the twice baked potatoes needed a touch of something. Maybe a touch expensive for a weekly outing, but for special occasions.

Kansas City, Missouri
“Very elegant dining”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The food was perfect and our waiter provided exceptional service. We were seated toward the back so the noise level from the live music was just right. I can't believe I've lived here since 1962 and this was my first visit - it won't be my last.

Wautoma, Wisconsin
“Jazz & an entertaining mixologist”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Visited KC with my sister in April 2013 for their BBQ & Jazz. The 1st place we went to for some live jazz was The Majestic. We went downstairs to the Jazz Club & sat at the bar. The Hermon Mehari trio was playing (drums, horn & stand up bass). Music was good & not too loud that we couldn't hear each other talk. We were kind of indecisive about what we wanted to drink - & thus the real entertainment started. The bartender said he could help figure out our drink order if we would answer some simple questions. For some reason I had difficulty answering the questions (what's your favorite fruit? What's your favorite vegetable? Dah - I don't know, I like 'em all, what can I say. (In hindsight, I have some great answers now) After being no help to him, I finally told him the kind of drinks I usually have. So he made me the prohibition era precursor to the Manhattan. Delicious - cheers!! My sister had a different set of questions which she answered easily. He made her the Bourbon Hamlet. Also delicious. The menu looked good as did the orders that came out to the tables near us. However, it was early & we had so many more places to check out for live music. So we didn't eat there, & left when the band took a break. We would definitely go back again & hopefully next time for a meal. But even if you just go for drinks & jazz - it is a great venue for that.