“Tough to find, hard to beat.”
Review of Saffron - CLOSED

Saffron
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Less adventurous diners probably wouldn't give an Indian restaurant a second look. That's a shame. Both of my experiences at Saffron took place during the lunch buffet. While not as extensive as some I've seen, even the pickiest eaters would find at least a few things they would like--provided they give the place a chance.

Buffets are notoriously difficult to operate, as the quality of most hot food deteriorates quickly. Saffron addresses this by making small batches, and updating often. The beauty of the buffet here is, diners have the chance to explore in small bites. The most mainstream item, the reasonably-tasty Tandoori Chicken is surprisingly the weakest item available. Maybe that is because the other choices are so good. My two favorites were the Chicken Tikka Massala (chunks of white chicken in a mildly spicy yogurt-based sauce), and Goat Curry with very tender meat in a rich brown sauce which is curry based, though not overpowering. On my first visit, I sampled two other chicken dishes: Butter Chicken-- small chicken chunks in an orange-colored sauce of garlic, ginger, tomato and spices, and Chicken Karahi--larger chunks of white meat in a somewhat spicier brown sauce. Both were delicious, as was the Beef Curry which had more curry flavor than the Goat, yet still not over the top. BTW: Plenty of vegetarian choices are available, like Saag Paneer (spinach with home-made cheese and spices), Yellow Dal (lentils in some unidentifiable yummy yellow stuff) and Veggie Korma (peas, carrots and tomato in a brownish sauce), all of which were surprising good, even for a carnivore.

Fact is, even if the hot buffet wasn't available, I could live on the naan (Indian flatbread) with any of three of the pepper sauces (from hot to damn hot) or the scrumptious cucumber-yogurt sauce Raita, to cool things down. The latter wasn't spoiled by cilantro, though the first batch of naan this visit, was polluted with the nasty green herb. I asked for cilantro-free naan, and it was no problem. Oh yeah, don't miss the Vegetable Pakoras, which are akin to Jeno's Pizza Rolls, if Jeno had graduated Le Cordon Bleu.

The staff is very friendly, and while the dining room is what you would expect in a strip center, nice touches like water goblets and linen tablecloths provide a more upscale feel.

Figure on a $13 tab for the buffet with a soft drink, AND figure on a major food coma for the rest of the afternoon, as you will likely stuff yourself well beyond the comfort zone. I know I'll be in exquisite agony again, after my next visit.

1  Thank KCTiger
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I discovered this place quite by accident and took some food to go. It was early so I was their first customer of the afternoon. The person working behind the counter was very polite and gave me a lovely cup of tea while I waited for my food.

I thought the food was of excellent quality, the service excellent. The food I ordered was really good, and there was certainly a feeling that they cared about what they put on the plate.

If Indian food is your thing, it's certainly worth a try. Don't expect amazing decor, or incredible ambience. But you can expect honest quality food.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We typically eat at another popular Indian restaurant in Zona Rosa. We only ate at Saffron one time, but I think we like Saffron better! Its a little hole in the wall, and there were no customers besides us so we were a little leery. We definitely were impressed after receiving our order and eating. I think the problem is the location- not many people know this newly opened restaurant is back there!
When we first looked at the menu, we thought it was kind of expensive but they give you a TON of food! I ordered the Chicken Biryani, boyfriend ordered Tandoori chicken. The Tandoori chicken came out on a smoking skillet with sauteed green peppers, onions, and lemons. There was so much food, we split our entrees and still had food to take home! It was not very spicy compared to most other Indian restaurants I've eaten at, but full of flavor. I really hope other people find out about this restaurant and give them the business they truly deserve!

Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

This place was recommended to us and my husband and I decided to give it a try. It's located in a strip mall and there was plenty of parking. Of course, when we stepped inside, we realized that there were no other customers. So service was great. I ordered the vegetarian sampler. The presentation was wonderful. It came out on a silver platter with little cups of the different dishes. My entree alone could have fed 2-3 people. The chef here is a little heavy handed on some of the spices but the naan was fantastic. Hope this place gets more business as we would come again.