“Jewel in KC Mo! CHEERS ambiance. Really the best bar food I’ve ever experienced!”
Review of The Cigar Box

The Cigar Box
Ranked #314 of 1,415 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Italian
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I’ve visited The Cigar Box in Kansas City, Missouri several times over the past several years and every time I come away with WOW! What a cool bar! Once I discovered the place, I took friends there because I could have a quiet conversation. Nothing fancy: just good food, excellent beers on tap and a wide selection of bottled beers... and ambiance. Service is down-home Kansas with sweet, honest Kansas/Missouri girls who will talk your ear off or leave you alone as is your preference. Staff will let you sit for hours and chat on your phone or check email. You are never hurried, but can get instant attention when you want. Clientele are mostly locals of all ages and stripes. This is the closest bar to CHEERS that I’ve encountered (believe me I have checked out 1000s of bars all over the world)! It is a very friendly and comfortable place to spend time. During my recent visits, I had the lunch I describe below. The next day after a long walk exploring Downtown KC Mo, I stopped by The Box to rehydrate. I sat at the bar this time, ordered a glass of Harps Ale and water. The barmaid kept my water filled, was attentive to my wishes

PLEASE EAT HERE! Servings are generous, so come hungry. My favorites: (1) the house side salad with their balsamic vinaigrette (I do NOT ever like balsamic dressings, but theirs just blows out my buds) and that salad arrives crisp and fresh with walnuts (contrast to recent experience at KC,Mo Hyatt and Westin restaurants who serve wilted and bland salads, and these are “5-Star Restaurants!”??); (2) THE BEST Reuben Sandwich I’ve ever had, accompanied with fries to die for. Harp Ale and Guinness (and maybe five others) on tap!

Sometimes I go to a restaurant or bar hungry and looking for good food and have to look hard at the menu to find something appetizing. In stark contrast, The Cigar Box menu is so full of delicious options that I often lock up trying to decide. Can’t go wrong with the Reuben, but try almost anything else on their menu: you won’t be disappointed. Each dish is prepared fresh and delivered at right hot or cold as appropriate.

I don’t smoke but The Box has a walk-in humidor with lots of top quality cigars. I always buy a few for friends. Some evenings there is a live singer. And I’ve always enjoyed him.

I make a point to visit The Cigar Box every time I am in Kansas City. If I lived close to this place, I’d be there at least once a week.

• Visited August 2012