“Awful experience”

Courtyard Kansas City at Briarcliff
Ranked #34 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The soundproofing in this hotel in NONEXISTANT. Both nights I stayed I could literall hear people above us. It sounded as if there was a herd of elephants partying all night. I did call the front desk twice on the first night. After the second call, I could hear the front desk knock on the door of the room above me...so that makes me wonder how loud the upstairs guest really were?

The morning of my last day at this hotel, I went out to my car to discover that my car had been side-swiped and whomever did it left the scene. I went back into the hotel to ask them if they had cameras on the parking lot...and they showed me that they did, but THEY DO NOT RECORD! What a joke is that? I had to go to the police station and file a report and they said the same thing... A hotel parking lot without cameras that record is a complete WASTE. the officer told me that everyone knows that hotel lots are a hotspot to break into cars, and by not recording they are in complete disregard for their guests safety.

I would exect more that that.

Room Tip: top floor to avoid unsual amount of noise coming from upper floors
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Kansas City at Briarcliff

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel has no valet, no bellman and NO ROOM SERVICE! It is a lovely hotel and has private areas for watching TV in the lobby. However, you can't grab a bite and/or a cocktail without being right in the middle of the lobby with no privacy. You get a well furnished, clean room with a coffee maker and a view..no services. I am not big on self-service hotels and it isn't inexpensive. They do have a great event venue.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is a new building (September), still with some construction going on. In most ways, this is a typical new style Courtyard, with a bistro and lots of communal lobby seating. While the room was pretty typical and comfortable, there were many small problems that lead to a less than stellar stay. Two rows of parking in front of the hotel are marked for energy efficient cars and carpools. I want to join the carpool that stays at a hotel! Our typical Courtyard room is a king bed with a couch. In this hotel, king beds are charged at a premium, so we stayed in a two bed room with a chair. We travel on business, and often have to wait for the other to complete the day's meetings. At most Marriotts, a late check out is usually 2, sometimes 3 (we are Rewards members). An unhelpful desk clerk allowed us an ungenerous extension of 1:00, and then didn't record it, so we got calls the next day. To get to our room, we had to navigate contractor's extension cords laying unsupervised in front of the elevator. It seems that every door in the place is extremely heavy, hard to open, and have a quirk that pops out the dead bolt so the door doesn't fully close when you enter your room. Certainly a security problem. All public areas require you to swipe your key card, I understand the pool, but to get back inside from the patio? Are they afraid someone is going to hijack the lobby? There is a little food/convenience store, but prices are only listed on a sheet on a high shelf, lit by a light that shines right in your eyes as you are trying to see. Internet seems usually OK , but has oddly timed very slow periods. I had to spend some time in the lobby waiting to leave, but the loud music prevented me from doing much work. The hotel is in the typical Courtyard sterile setting, in an office park, a long uninteresting walk to a small "upscale" shopping center with a few restaurants and a small natural foods grocery. The pool, spa, and workout room are above average, with the same great views as the patio overlooking downtown Kansas City and the sunset. Unfortunately, you must cross the entire lobby and eating area to get to the pool, not fun in a dripping wet swimsuit. It appears that planning and management for this hotel is well below average. Enough griping. And I'm usually prett easy to please.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in February for a family wedding. This was our first outing with our baby at a hotel and are a little upset with how the staff handled our reservation. We called 3 weeks before the wedding to reserve a room in the block of rooms that was held for the wedding. We were told that all we had to do was give our name and the room would be available. We also asked for a crib or pack n play, as this would be the first time traveling with our newborn at a hotel and were told all nice hotels had them. The girl that took our name, held her hand over the phone to ask someone if the hotel had them, then came back with a small giggle and said, no they didn't. On the day of the wedding we arrived to check in and the lady at the front, said that they may not have a room available! After we called 3 weeks ago to reserve the room, this was VERY frustrating. Eventually they found ONE room left. REALLY?? If they hadn't we would have been very upset. The wedding was very nice, although the atrium where the ceremony was held was sauna like, the staff for the wedding was very friendly. Our night stay in the room was good. Room was clean and new. The next day when we checked out we told them about some of our issues and were told that the hotel does in fact have cribs for little ones. Overall this was a very nice hotel, but we have had MUCH better service by booking on Priceline at half the price. And probably wont be staying in this hotel again. If booking here I would make sure that the staff has been well trained and all reservation issues have been resolved.

Room Tip: If booking here I would make sure that the staff has been well trained and all reservation issues ha...
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Courtyard (by Marriott) in North Kansas City is a convenient location if you have business that will take you either North on I-29/I-71 toward the KC international airport, and/or North on I-169. You are only a couple miles south of these major interchanges. The hotel is just north of the Missouri River and all of the industrial businesses associated with North Kansas City (train yard, shipping etc). The Courtyard is newly built and appears to be a part of the same Briarcliff shopping development that has upscale shopping and dining. The surrounding neighborhood consists mostly of nice homes perched on a cliff that overlook Kansas City to the south. The view is mostly of the river and industry (not exactly beautiful in the daytime, but at night the lights are lovely).

The hotel itself is new, modern, stylish, comfortable and clean. Some of the guest conveniences are: both an indoor and outdoor pool; a mini-convenience corner in the lobby selling commonly forgotten items (razors/tylenol), candy bars, drinks and microwavable meals; a smallish cafe/grill where you can purchase breakfast, lunch, and dinner items; an adequate fitness center with ellipticals, treadmills, stationary bikes, and hand weights, and a guest coin laundry.

Our room was a large double queen, tall ceilings, desk, wardrobe, a tiny coffee-bar nook with a mini-fridge underneath (empty so that you can store you own items), ipod/iphone 4s and below compatible clock radio (does not have the new iphone 5 charging port, but you could use a converter). Free wifi Internet. No problems connecting. Fast service.

The one complaint we had was that the temperature of the shower/bath water was lukewarm. The water that came from the sink faucet was perfectly hot, but the shower water was almost cold. If they have installed temperature controls on the shower, they will need to adjust them so that guests can get hotter water.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We're former residents of Kansas City who moved away a few years back. We've bounced around trying different hotels whenever we are back in town, and we've decided to try this hotel as soon as it opened. Its in a great location for visiting friends allover town and the rooms have great views of downtown KC. The sheets were over starched, but otherwise great stay!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is one of the nicest Courtyards I have stayed in and I stayed 170 nights in them last year. Great people. Friendly and helpful. If the wifi wasn't slower than dial up it would have been perfect. HDTV to switch off and use cell for data.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Econo Lodge
#2 of 4 in North Kansas City
Comfort Inn & Suites near Worlds of Fun
Hampton Inn Kansas City/near Worlds of Fun

Been to Courtyard Kansas City at Briarcliff? Share your experiences!