“If You Are Looking For Different, This Is The Place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Affare

Affare
Reserve with OpenTable
Affare is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #98 of 1,400 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: German, European, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 19th Avenue
Transit: Max stop in front of restaurant
Description: Modern German cuisine and a great wine and cocktail list! Affäre supports local farmers and family-owned, biodynamic wineries. Wine Wednesday: Free wine tasting every week from 5-7! Saturday & Sunday Brunch 10-2:30: enjoy Endless Mimosas for $10! Courtyard seating and Private Dining available. Great lounge and bar, offering seasonal cocktails and spirits from craft distilleries. Great beer selection!
Liberty, Missouri
“If You Are Looking For Different, This Is The Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We recently visited this restaurant and were very pleased with the variety of cuisine offered. Since Affare is known for the contemporary German cuisine, I went with the bratwurst plate with a side order of sauerkraut. You can choose from a variety of brats or go with the chef's choice, which is what I did. They were cooked excellently and served on a platter made out of a log slice. Very cool! It came with three different dipping sauces, two mustards and one basil dip. I liked the two mustards, did not care for the basil dip. The brat I really liked was the turkey and cranberry. Excellent! The side of sauerkraut was also great. Not as tart as I am used to which was a nice change.

My wife had the weinerschnitzel and said it was not quite as good as what we have had in our visits to Austria/Germany.

The waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and beer pairings. Great place and would strongly encourage anyone to give it a try.

Kansas City, Missouri
“Great place in KC!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect from a German restaurant but I really enjoyed dinner.
They had many options besides the true German dishes which I am not very familiar with.
My husband and I had an appetizer, entree and dessert. I loved everything! The portion is ideal for a 3 course meal. The service was excellent! It was one of the best date nights my husband and I had in KC. I cannot wait to go back. They heard we were celebrating a special date and send us champagne. Super nice and thoughtful of them.

Kansas City, MO
“Sauerbraten!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Sauerbraten is a specialty few restaurants attempt and few do well. Sauerbraten is beef marinated in vinegar and other ingredients for a number of days. Affäre marinates theirs for a week. Affäre's version is perfectly done and is accompanied by a light, absorbent potato dumpling that is also a perfect accompaniment and an apple compote. Sauce was perfectly balanced and had raisins to balance the potential tartness. Sauerbraten was one of my mother's best recipes and I have not found a version that compares. Affäre's, while quite different, does just that. The wine, a recommendation of Katrin the Owner/Sommelier, was a Chinon Loire Cabernet Franc which was a perfect compliment. Highly, highly recommended.
One of the best restaurant meals I've had in years.

1 Thank kcmoal
Kansas City, Missouri
“Unforgettable German Affair”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Just returned from Milwaukee and disappointed in the German food there. Now a notch up comes Affare. It is what they claim, a contemporary German cuisine. It deviates from the traditional big plate German fares although some of those dishes are offered. The white table cloths without tacky paper protectors already defines the place from the first visual impact. The choice of freshly backed pretzels for bread is excellent and so was their flavor and texture. Some of our local friends, meat and potato aficionados, had defined the restaurant as one that serves unusual meats. Well, we chose one of those, the quail wrapped in cabbage and it was exquisite and the only other "unusual' meats we found elk and Texas boar we reserved for another visit. This time I went for the seared shrimp and scallops over a squid-ink pasta bed of blended subtle flavors. For dessert we went traditional and ordered their elegant apple strudel with enough raisins and nuts that separates it from the standard voluminous wrapped cinnamon apples served elsewhere.
We were in a hurry and the waiter responded appropriately and efficiently. With their extensive menu suitable for choices from the traditional to modern German/Continental cuisine we will visit Affare often. It is among the 6 best restaurants in Kansas City.

2 Thank martinezcm
RODEO
“Different-not what I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Our group of former military members stationed in Germany many years ago, during our reunion wanted German food. Atmosphere was nice, staff very friendly and accommodating. Set up our group in private room in one big square table. Food was average to good. Portions were on the small side, staff even said people sometimes place muliple orders. I was expecting a filling German traditional jager and spaetzel dinner. I got a light lunch meal. To me this place reeked of Nouvo cuisine. If you've never experienced a real German meal, I guess this is an okay place. It's not a bad restaurant, but I probably would not return,because I now know it' not what I expect in a German meal.

• 2 of 5 bubbles