“You can't miss this if you have children”

Science City at Union Station
Ranked #14 of 168 things to do in Kansas City
More attraction details
Owner description: See how astronauts train for space missions or discover the chemistry behind some of your favorite beverages. Kids and adults alike will be entertained for hours at this center dedicated to showing how science is a part of our everyday lives.
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We keep an annual membership to union station to bring our kids (8 & 12) by anytime we are in KC. We have only been on weekdays, I am not sure about crowd control on the weekends. You can spend a day or an hour. It is very interactive and will wear out the kids. I always recommend this to friends as a destination during cold or rainy days. I recently encouraged a co-worker to take her 1 year old and she said they had a blast in the toddler area, her daughter fell asleep on the way back to the car. We usually add a movie in Union Station, a trip through the train museum, and watch a few rounds of the toy trains to round out the day before leaving.

Side note: I often like the revolving exhibits in Union Station. For example, a couple years ago the Princess Diana exhibit came through. Science City was a great place for my husband to take the kids, while I leisurely walked through the exhibit and actually got to stop and read about the items on display. It was a rare treat!

All reviews
"gift shop"
"couple of hours"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

I will start out by saying this place is really cool-lots to do, all of it very engaging and interesting. We went during spring break, which is a very popular time of course, and there were alot of people there. And just like everywhere else, some people make their children behave and others let their children go wild. It's not science city's fault of course, but if you can go at a time that is not so busy you will have more fun.

Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

This station is completely renovated. Its a gorgeous train station. The kids, even if there were none with us had huge smiles on their faces. There are different food options all of which very good. Staff is super friendly.

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Spent a Friday morning here with 6 kids - 11, 8, 7, 5, 3, 2. They all had fun for a little while but I saw more play and less science. It was good for an hour or two. My biggest complaint was that it was dusty, the exhibits need cleaned badly