“Exellent”

Kansas City Hop on-Hop off Day Pass
Ranked #1 of 153 things to do in Kansas City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The National World War I Museum and Memorial is America's leading institution dedicated to remembering, interpreting and understanding the Great War and its enduring impact on the global community. The Museum holds the most diverse collection of World War I objects and documents in the world and is the second-oldest public museum dedicated to preserving the objects, history and experiences of the war. The Museum takes visitors of all ages on an epic journey through a transformative period and shares deeply personal stories of courage, honor, patriotism and sacrifice. Designated by Congress as America's official World War I Museum and Memorial and located in downtown Kansas City, Mo., the National World War I Museum and Memorial inspires thought, dialogue and learning to make the experiences of the Great War era meaningful and relevant for present and future generations.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Kansas City, Missouri
3 attraction reviews
“Exellent”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Our family had a great time. Great experience to kids ages 8+ .Our kids ages 15, 12, and 10 gave it 5 stars.This was a very educational opportunity for each of us and we all came away feeling grateful for our country and those who had the foresight and vision to create this valuable museum to help us younger generations to remember and understand such a big part of our world history.

• Thai first
Kansas City
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Prepare to spend the entire day, it's unreal”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I just recently went to this museum. I went years and years ago before it was remodeled, so I had no idea what I was walking into. Let me tell you something, there was so much to see, read, and do that we shut the place down. It was unbelievable. If you are a war buff or if you have any interest in the history of WWI at all, I highly recommend this museum, and if you are a visitor with limited time, I would recommend this museum over any other in the Kansas City area except perhaps the Nelson-Atkins. Here's the highlights and the lowlights:
Pros:
--The museum is beautifully laid out and the sheer volume of displays is mind boggling.
--There were pretty awesome multimedia experiences to be had and even a volunteer in period dress showing people how different pieces of field equipment worked.
--The gift shop alone was worth the visit. It had so many really neat things to see and most of them were very reasonably priced!
--There was a detailed timeline of the events leading up to the war and the war itself that was incredible that stretched through the museum. I took the time to read every word, and it was utterly captivating. I thought I knew a lot about WWI and I learned a ton of things I didn't know from reading through the timeline!
--There is a field of poppies that you walk over by way of a glass bridge to get to the museum itself that is very affecting.

Cons:
--I have to put the glass bridge here too, because I am not afraid of heights and I got some serious vertigo from looking down at the poppies. I didn't see any other way to get to the museum except to walk over the field of poppies and it's pretty far below the glass, so if you're afraid of heights, this is going to be a terrifying experience for you.
--It doesn't seem like a museum that would be a good choice for small children. Now, as a person who has no small children, that made it an IDEAL museum for me, but fair warning! If you have children under 12, unless they are fairly precocious, they are probably going to be pretty bored through a lot of it.
--It seems like from the reviews that people had very different experiences with the volunteers. So did I. The person who sold us the admission tickets was very friendly, as was the volunteer in period dress. But the person who took our tickets at the end of the glass bridge was an absolute harridan, really rude and bossy.
--It really is best to see this museum when the weather is nice so you can see the view and see the two "mini-museums" that are at the top of the monument without having to dash through the elements to get to them.

Have a great visit!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank busitrav33
Saint Louis, Missouri
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Incredible”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I didn't really know what to expect when my boyfriend and I considered going to the WW1 museum. But what I found was incredible. There is so much in the collection that it really does take a few hours to digest it all. The volunteers are all very knowledgeable and friendly. On most days (basically unless there is ice present) you are able to go to the top of the tower and it is supposed to be a gorgeous view. I really liked all the interactive digital exhibits. Definitely a must see!

1 Thank Erin501
Lindstrom, Minnesota
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Must see- only WWI museum”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Very nice museum. Amazing amount of artifacts and information. Good short videos. I would not recommend for people with young children. Most if not all exhibits are mostly reading. We were here for about 2 hours and will need to come back to see the rest. Volunteers are very helpful and knowledgable. A must see in KC!

2 Thank Innga
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Loved interactivity of exhibits”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

This would be a great place to visit for just about anyone, but especially those who appreciate history. Lots of great artifacts and liked how interactive the entire museum was. The only thing that startled me was that the museum workers/volunteers were a little bossy and it felt kind of like I was a school kid being watched by a teacher. Overall good visit. All tickets are two day passes. Also, make sure to type in address to federal reserve and not the main address on website when using a GPS to find. We got lost at first, but after viewing the "getting here" portion of the website got there with no problem.