“Excellent history lesson with balanced perspective”

National World War I Museum and Memorial
Kansas City Single Loop City Tour
Ranked #1 of 159 things to do in Kansas City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The National World War I Museum and Memorial is America's leading institution dedicated to remembering, interpreting and understanding the Great War and its enduring impact on the global community. The Museum holds the most diverse collection of World War I objects and documents in the world and is the second-oldest public museum dedicated to preserving the objects, history and experiences of the war. The Museum takes visitors of all ages on an epic journey through a transformative period and shares deeply personal stories of courage, honor, patriotism and sacrifice. Designated by Congress as America's official World War I Museum and Memorial and located in downtown Kansas City, Mo., the National World War I Museum and Memorial inspires thought, dialogue and learning to make the experiences of the Great War era meaningful and relevant for present and future generations.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I expected a typical war museum, heavy on the field pieces, machinery, and guns. I was pleasantly surprised by a museum that focused as much on the human experience as on the tools used. Half of the museum is devoted to the years before the American entry into the war, and half on the latter part of the war and the piece. Exhibits and films did a wonderful job of capturing the social and politicial environment before, during, and after the war - on the front and back home.

The only downside was expected: very light coverage of the theaters that did not include Americans or Brits. But even those were touched on well enough for the tastes of most of us.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Focus on the long term impact of the war on map of Europe. An often forgotten War that bring you back to an important historical era.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We visited more than a year ago and it is time for a 2nd visit. Great place to go and definitely one place everyone should visit. We put it on the list for any guests who come to visit us. If you are a WW I fan - then this is really for you.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I noticed that some people found this attraction terrible. Although it may seem like a whole lot of history dumped on you at once, it is really worth a visit. This museum teaches almost everything about World War I. There are many uniforms, guns, and other interesting artifacts. A wonderful experience!!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a one of a kind museum. I travel a lot and love to visit museums and zoos wherever I go. I haven't seen anything like this anywhere else.