“Romantic, rich, elegance”

Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, prime location close to most of downtown venues. Only two blocks from P&L. Great gated parking lot. Beautiful colors and pure elegance. The reserve restaurant was amazing. Food was served on beautiful plating design and delicious. Recommendations for the sliders, chicken coq au vin, and mushroom ravioli. Enjoyed the stay in our king suite. Great shower, loved my make up table, robe, closet. Got cold but found a blanket in a drawer by tv. Mini bar great, room service was A+ and the Cadillac escalade shuttle service rocked. Loved our bed and breakfast package deal. Highly recommend this place! Will be back.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

What a pleasure to read your review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your Ambassador experience. I appreciate your comments regarding our wonderful décor, great accommodations, convenient location to the Power & Light district, and our excellent cuisine. I have shared them all with our staff, and of course, our chef Shaun. We appreciate having your business and look forward to future visits. Happy holidays!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

My husband and I came to KC for a surprise weekend for my birthday. The hotel is beautiful but there are some details that while not a huge deal in the end, certainly matter when asked to dish out the money per night that the Ambassador does.

Cons: the duvet cover had brown stains on it. Gross. The water pressure in the shower is pretty low.

The television channel line up has over 50 channels BUT our remote was only programmed for 10 channels. This meant looking at the channel line up card and manually inputting any channel outside of those 10 that we wanted to view. That didn't last long.

I woke up around 5am feeling kind of sick and wanted some juice. The mini bar is stocked with coke, sprite and energy drinks. The room service menu listed various juices for $4. At the bottom of the menu in small writing was a statement that a delivery fee of $3.50 AND 20% gratuity is added to each order. Thinking this was insane for ONE glass of juice, we called the front desk to see if both charges still applied to one $4.00 glass of juice? Yep, sure does. So we would have had to pay upwards of almost $9 for a glass of juice. No bueno. I know it's supposed to be a high end hotel but sticking guests for every little thing when they are already paying quite a bit to stay here is tacky.

The ventilation system for the heat is loud, overtakes the room.

Pros: staff at the bar and check in were very friendly.

The room itself is set up very nicely.

I do agree with a previous reviewer about the parking. What's the point of having "gated" parking if there is an unlocked pedestrian gate which allows ANYONE access to the cars??

Overall, nice hotel but for the money, I'll stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: December 2013
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay, feedback like you provided is very valuable for us to hear. Please allow me to apologize for the issues you encountered. I have shared your thoughts with out team and we will ensure we take the necessary steps to avoid this type of situation in the future. I hope you will contact me directly next time you decide to come to Kansas City, I would like you to experience the Ambassador Hotel again so you will have more favorable memories.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We stayed at the Ambassador because we attended a concert downtown at the Midland. We were so thrilled we did because we were very impressed with the room & bathroom...both quite large and very nice. If you are attending an event downtown, the location of this hotel is perfect because you can walk to all of the restaurants, it’s only a half block from the Sprint Center and a couple of blocks from the Midland Theater. The one perk the Ambassador offers is complimentary car service within six miles if where you are going isn’t in walking distance or the weather is bad. We definitely plan to stay at the Ambassador in future. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay! Our luxurious accommodations guarantee our guests an experience of the highest quality, and we couldn't be more pleased knowing that this is the experience you were given. We are happy you enjoyed your spacious room, and that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle service. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

What a beautiful hotel! I think the only downside was no drink machines, I didn't want to pay $3 for a can of pop, and parking dis cost but it was a one time fee and you could come and go as you pleased. We were in the same floor as a bunch of girls that were quite loud but it wasn't too bad. The bathroom was big, the bed was like a cloud. I'm for sure staying here again!

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for reviewing The Ambassador Hotel of Downtown Kansas City. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. As you mentioned, there are no vending machines on the premises. However, in addition to the variety of mini bar items stocked in each guest room, 24/hour gourmet room service is also available to satisfy any late-night snack attacks. Regarding the level of noise near your room, I do apologize and I can assure you it will not be an issue again.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed here earlier this month while in MO for business. I chose this hotel since it is downtown, and I got a good rate for 2 nights. The front desk was very friendly, the room I stayed in on the 6th floor was very spacious and clean, and the lobby bar/restaurant was inviting.

My one criticism is that what they call a "fitness room" is barely a closet in the basement. It is about 6ft x 15ft and contains an elliptical, a treadmill, and a recumbent bike plus a few dumb bells and a TV. There is room for 3 guests to stare at each other while sweating and breathing heavily...so I worked out in my room, since it was twice the size :)

There is on-site parking in the adjacent lot for $15/night, and the Power & Light district is a few blocks away...if you like the touristy style restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark L
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to learn that our downtown location and reasonable rates influenced your decision to stay at the Ambassador Hotel. Being centrally located is a major perk, as many enticing shops, restaurants and attractions are merely minutes away. And with rates like ours, you get a lot of bang for your buck. I do, however, apologize if our fitness facility did not meet your expectations, as it is compact in size and equipped with the basics. If you have any needs or concerns during your next visit, do not hesitate to ask. Our staff will be more than happy to assist you.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I found this hotel while looking on a search engine for a downtown hotel near Power and Light. I loved the pictures of the décor so we decided to try it. We love this hotel! We stayed in a parlor suite which has a living room, bedroom, full bath (shower only, no bathtub) and a half bath. Upon entering the hotel lobby (which is small) the décor looks comfortable and inviting. The bar at the end of the lobby caught our attention immediately. There are different kinds of very comfortable and interesting seating areas in the bar/ restaurant area. It's a kind of hip but cozy atmosphere. The room was fantastic! I'm usually not a big fan of white leather couches but for some reason it really works. The bed was super comfortable and the linens soft. Having the two bathrooms is great. Our only complaint was that there were only two bath towels in the bathroom (I know, we could have asked for more but it would have been nice to have them there without asking). The hotel is a very short walk from the Sprint Center and the Power and Light district which is full of bars, restaurants and nightclubs. This is a completely non-smoking hotel which is nice. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: there are only 7 floors and we were on the 2nd. We will ask for a higher floor next time since we ha...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am happy to hear you felt comfortable in the "hip but cozy" atmosphere of The Ambassador. Formerly a bank, this beautifully restored building is brimming with both old-world charm and modern appeal. I am also pleased to hear you stayed in the Parlor Suite, as it Is one of our most popular rooms. We do, however, have a larger suite if you find yourself wanting something a bit more luxurious during your next visit to Kansas City. Equipped with a kitchenette, dining area, 1 1/2 bathrooms, a living room and a master bedroom, our 2-story Loft Suite is truly exceptional.
We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Kansas City is one of my favorites places and I try a new hotel every time. The Ambassador was a very nice experience. The room service breakfast was fast and all small requests [ new iron ] were handled stat. The vibe is very hip and metropolitan with spacious rooms and a chic lobby. Had dinner there one night and it was wonderful along with a nice visit from the chef. The staff gets a A+ for friendliness !

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Thank you for your review. It seems as though our objective to deliver the best customer service possible was met during your stay. Any request, no matter how big or small, is merely a phone call away. Our friendly staff is more than eager to assist you. I am also happy to hear you experienced the convenience of in-room dining, as well as our exquisite dinner menu in our restaurant, Reserve. Thank you, we hope you choose the Ambassador for your next Kansas City excursion.