“A lovely boutique hotel in downtown KC”

Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed here earlier this month while in MO for business. I chose this hotel since it is downtown, and I got a good rate for 2 nights. The front desk was very friendly, the room I stayed in on the 6th floor was very spacious and clean, and the lobby bar/restaurant was inviting.

My one criticism is that what they call a "fitness room" is barely a closet in the basement. It is about 6ft x 15ft and contains an elliptical, a treadmill, and a recumbent bike plus a few dumb bells and a TV. There is room for 3 guests to stare at each other while sweating and breathing heavily...so I worked out in my room, since it was twice the size :)

There is on-site parking in the adjacent lot for $15/night, and the Power & Light district is a few blocks away...if you like the touristy style restaurants and bars.

1  Thank Mark L
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to learn that our downtown location and reasonable rates influenced your decision to stay at the Ambassador Hotel. Being centrally located is a major perk, as many enticing shops, restaurants and attractions are merely minutes away. And with rates like ours, you get a lot of bang for your buck. I do, however, apologize if our fitness facility did not meet your expectations, as it is compact in size and equipped with the basics. If you have any needs or concerns during your next visit, do not hesitate to ask. Our staff will be more than happy to assist you.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I found this hotel while looking on a search engine for a downtown hotel near Power and Light. I loved the pictures of the décor so we decided to try it. We love this hotel! We stayed in a parlor suite which has a living room, bedroom, full bath (shower only, no bathtub) and a half bath. Upon entering the hotel lobby (which is small) the décor looks comfortable and inviting. The bar at the end of the lobby caught our attention immediately. There are different kinds of very comfortable and interesting seating areas in the bar/ restaurant area. It's a kind of hip but cozy atmosphere. The room was fantastic! I'm usually not a big fan of white leather couches but for some reason it really works. The bed was super comfortable and the linens soft. Having the two bathrooms is great. Our only complaint was that there were only two bath towels in the bathroom (I know, we could have asked for more but it would have been nice to have them there without asking). The hotel is a very short walk from the Sprint Center and the Power and Light district which is full of bars, restaurants and nightclubs. This is a completely non-smoking hotel which is nice. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: there are only 7 floors and we were on the 2nd. We will ask for a higher floor next time since we ha...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am happy to hear you felt comfortable in the "hip but cozy" atmosphere of The Ambassador. Formerly a bank, this beautifully restored building is brimming with both old-world charm and modern appeal. I am also pleased to hear you stayed in the Parlor Suite, as it Is one of our most popular rooms. We do, however, have a larger suite if you find yourself wanting something a bit more luxurious during your next visit to Kansas City. Equipped with a kitchenette, dining area, 1 1/2 bathrooms, a living room and a master bedroom, our 2-story Loft Suite is truly exceptional.
We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Kansas City is one of my favorites places and I try a new hotel every time. The Ambassador was a very nice experience. The room service breakfast was fast and all small requests [ new iron ] were handled stat. The vibe is very hip and metropolitan with spacious rooms and a chic lobby. Had dinner there one night and it was wonderful along with a nice visit from the chef. The staff gets a A+ for friendliness !

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Thank you for your review. It seems as though our objective to deliver the best customer service possible was met during your stay. Any request, no matter how big or small, is merely a phone call away. Our friendly staff is more than eager to assist you. I am also happy to hear you experienced the convenience of in-room dining, as well as our exquisite dinner menu in our restaurant, Reserve. Thank you, we hope you choose the Ambassador for your next Kansas City excursion.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our 15th anniversary after spending a few days at a family reunion. We were ready for some pampering and we got it at the Ambassador. The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. We felt like we were special. The room was amazing, the bed and linens were luxurious. The food and the bar were amazing! We utilized the car service a couple of time and our driver, Cassanova, was extremely polite and personable. We would definitely stay here again! Thanks for a memorable experience!

Room Tip: I think that we were in room 707. I would definitely recommend it!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the incredible review. We are so grateful to have played a part in celebrating such a memorable occasion. Our goal at The Ambassador is to create a special experience for all of our guests, and it delights me knowing this was the experience you had. I will pass along your kind comments to our driver and staff respectively. We look forward to having you again. Cheers.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Checking out today after a three night stay for business. 1st time at this hotel and Ambassador property in general. Visit KC 3-4 times per year.

Great location on Grand, walking distance to many bars and restaurants. Did not rent a car so cannot speak to parking fees or ease. Checkin was seamless. Rooms (3) were ready upon arrival at 1 p.m. on a Monday.

Corner king for average rate of $233 per night. Room was spacious and well appointed. Bed was comfortable. Stayed on pet free floor(507) and web request for feather free pillows was honored and they were already in the room when I arrived. Large bathroom with huge walk in shower. Plenty of hot water and good pressure. Very quiet hotel as you barely see another guest and there is zero noise coming in from the outside.40 total rooms and they were near capacity most of my stay.

Reserve bar was very good and bar tenders were super friendly. Good top shelf selection and conversation. Breakfast from the Reserve via room service was decent. Not the best or worst I have eaten from a hotel restaurant.

Use of hotel car was a nice perk. They will drop off and pick up within 5 miles of hotel. We used this 4 times and it was quick and easy for each use. Other nice perks were two bottles of water daily, free wifi and no resort fee. Staff professionalland friendly at each encounter. They arranged our airport transportation and extended a late checkout with no issue.

If there were anything that prevented 5 starts it would be housekeeping. A previous guest must have spilled coffee on the nightstand and dripped down the wall and baseboard. It looks like it has been there for a while. Also, the drawer in the bathroom vanity was caked with "stuff" from previous guests. Didn't feel good about using it. Left a note on day two asking for extra large towels. Note was gone but no extra towels. Some training and attention to detail can remedy this fairly easily.

This will be our new "go to" when we stay in KC without a doubt.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review of the Ambassador Hotel. It pleases me knowing we were able to accommodate your early arrival and late check-out respectively. Although our standard check-in time is 3PM, and our standard check-out time is noon, we understand that certain situations arise where a room is needed outside of that timeframe. We do our best to accommodate those requests. I am also happy to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms, amenities, and that our friendly staff and services were to your satisfaction. Regarding our shuttle service, you are correct in stating that we will transport our guests within a 5-mile radius. For further destinations, our front desk staff is more than happy to arrange your choice of a town car or a taxi, as we work closely with a few local transportation companies. I do regret your experience with housekeeping, and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I have passed along your comments to the staff. I can assure you that this issue will not occur again.
We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Staying in this amazing hotel in the downtown has been really pleasent. The Hotel in brand new with huge rooms with new amenities. Gym was nice as well and open 24/7.
The hotel is located on the main aveanue in the city center but room seem well isolated and my stay was great.
Staff was ok and kind in suggesting me a great steak house for the night with a free shuttle service.

Room Tip: All rooms seems OK
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Thank you for your review of the Ambassador. As you mentioned, we are centrally located downtown, yet our rooms are isolated from the noise and hubbub of the city. Great dining and entertainment are just blocks away, and our staff is more than happy to make suggestions as to where to go. Our complimentary shuttle service is also applicable to many of Kansas City's most popular destinations.
We hope you choose the Ambassador again in the future.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the weekend before a business meeting. Outside look of hotel was a little worrisome at first but once you step inside you know it's what's inside that matters. Warm welcome from the staff, room was spacious and tastefully decorated, bathroom was large and modern. Lobby was also very clean and inviting with restaurant and bar easily accessible. Close enough to Power and Light district to walk to sand from the nightlife. Hotel also provided complimentary car service including down to the Plaza district.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MDHNorthTustin_CA

Thank you for your review. I am glad you were impressed by our modern, yet welcoming décor. We've worked hard to evoke a sleek, elegant environment that is also warm and inviting to our guests. We hope to see you again during your next visit to Kansas City.