“Nice Hotel in Good Area for various activities”

Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here doing business nearby. The hotel was modern despite being in an older building. It was a comfortable stay. Arriving late in the day, I did not feel in being too adventurous for dinner and elected to eat in the hotel. The food was quite good and enjoyable. When I elected to try the beignets for dessert and they didn't any, the cook offered an apple and berry crumble based on an old family recipe (which I enjoyed much more than I would have the beignets).

On the second night, I walked down a couple of blocks to the "power and light district" and there are a number of restaurants and bars located here.

The rooms were large and well equipped.

My only issue was that I was given a room at the end of the hall and with the door closed, the wireless internet just didn't reach well enough. I ended up sitting with my computer right by the door to get the best possible signal. I also used the lobby a couple of times when I wanted the best connection. I alerted the staff and they did try to reset it, but it didn't help.

Room Tip: If Internet is important, I would get a room near the middle of the hallways where the routers are l...
2  Thank TxLonestar
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

We are excited to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. The Ambassador was originally built in 1920 as the Gates City National Bank and has been completely renovated into the stunning hotel you will find today. Reserve, our restaurant located just inside our lobby, is preparing award winning dishes that are sure to satisfy any appetite. The Ambassador also has a perfect location whether your looking for entertainment, dinning, or shopping! We are just two blocks north of both the Power and Light District, and The Sprint Center. I will share your comments with my team, and we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed at the ambassador for our anniversary. We live in KC but wanted to get away downtown for a night.

I called ahead and reserved a corner king room and let them know we would be on our anniversary. When we checked in, they didn't remember this at all. They didn't say happy anniversary, nothing special prepared, etc. This isn't the reason for the poor review, but it would have been nice. We ate at the Bristol at P&L... they had a card on the table and gave us preferential seating and free dessert. Not required, but appreciated and I will be a repeat customer. I wish the Ambassador understood this concept.

The reason for a poor review is the uncleanliness of the room. It is nicely decorated but was dirty. The counter was dirty. There was long hair on the sheets on the bed. There was hair on the counter in the bathroom. The mirror was dirty. I went to pull out the robes and they had long hair and big stain around the neck. One towel in the bathroom was not folded it was just sitting on the floor dirty. Gross. I went to take a shower the night we stayed and there was hair on the tile floor and a huge gunk of hair and dirt stuck over the floor drain. I cleaned it up before my wife had to see it. The bed was comfy and the air worked. Room is very loud though and music coming from lounge downstairs was loud on a saturday night.

I did go down and try to get new robes, but the front desk girl was on her cell phone and I couldn't get her attention :( This isn't a pricey place compared to hotels I've stayed at in Chicago, NYC, etc... but its Kansas City. If people are asked to pay 250+ here the cleanliness, the staff, the service has to be all there.

The sent me a followup email to see how my stay was. I told them the problems I had. No reply.
Speaks volumes.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jon B

On behalf of my entire team I would like to offer our sincerest apology. I would be happy to contact you to discuss your experience. Please feel free to contact me at any time by calling the hotel and asking for me.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at The Ambassador for two nights while traveling for a photo shoot. The decor enhances this refurbished bank building and the rooms are large and comfortable. I had a king size room with wonderful bedding. The bathroom had a lovely outer area with a massive internally lit mirror. A bench pulled out from under the vanity/sink so you could sit and do your make-up or hair. Ginormous windows graced this lovely dark eggplant painted room.

The location is excellent for entertainment as you are only steps away from a wonderful food and music conglomeration of fun!

Great food from a small but varied menu. Had the beignets for breakfast one morning. Dee-lish! This is a small Hotel Group that owns other properties in Wichita, Oklahoma City and Tulsa. From my experience in KC, it seems as though they really care. I would definitely choose this hotel again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Heidi G
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Ambassador KC is located just minutes from the Power and Light District, a favorite among out of town guests and KC natives. We are pleased to hear that you received excellent service from our staff and I'll be sure to share your remarks with my team! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Fabulous!

I stayed two nights, but wish it could have been longer!

The service is top notch. Large, comfortable rooms and I could have stayed in the bed all day.

I've found my new favorite hotel in KC!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SCarp1225

Thank you for your review. We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed 3 nights here recently,a great friendly hotel.Super staff,lovely rooms they even have a Cadillac to take you anywhere within 5 miles and bring you back,for free!
Micheal the manager is a gem.Great restaurants nearby down at Union Station

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank drs911
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you! I'll be sure to let my staff know about your review. We love that you enjoyed our complimentary shuttle and top notch service. All of us here at the Ambassador would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us while in Kansas City!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

It is located right by the Kansas City Power and Light District and just north of the Sprint Center. It was an old bank that was totally gutted and made into a hotel. The furnishings in my room although modern just blended well with the architecture of the building. There were modern fixtures for the bath with a sink and lighted make-up mirror in an alcove of the bedroom. The toilet and shower were in a room with a door that closed for privacy. It was well lit and nice tile, glass shower door, and good ventilation. As another poster already mentioned and also on the downside for me was that the fan for the airconditioning in the room ran all night long. It was either that or turn the air off which I decided would make the room too warm, so I listened to the fan run all night. I was in a King room that had west facing windows, and the curtains did darken the room, so I was not bothered by lights from the street. Even though it was the downtown area, I didn't hear noise or sirens except once during the night although I admit my stay was not during a weekend or a major event in the area. There was a small gated parking lot just to the south of the building (additional fee but well worth it since parking is prime in that area). I was working a couple blocks from there and did not feel the least bit uncomfortable even though I was by myself for this business trip. There was a nice restaurant in the lobby area and entrance to the hotel, and I noticed there were locals that came in to enjoy the Happy Hour after work which I always think is a positive for a hotel property. I believe the same owner renovated buildings in Tulsa, OK and Wichita, KS so check out the website if you are interested in further information.

2  Thank TopekaDucky

Thank you for your detailed review. The Ambassador KC has one of the best locations in the downtown area, just two blocks north of both the Sprint Center and the Power and Light District, making exciting attractions within walking distance. We also have a complimentary shuttle that will take you to any attraction within 5 miles of the property! We do also have properties in Tulsa, OK, Wichita, KS, and have started construction in Oklahoma City, OK! There are lots of exciting things happening here at the Ambassador, and we cant thank you enough for staying with us! We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed here for a week on a work trip.

Pros - The hotel and atmosphere is really cool. The snack bar in the room is a nice touch. The rooms are very nice and larger than I would think for a boutique hotel. The bartenders were very courteous. You can't beat the location. You can walk to the Power and Light District and all it has to offer. The area is also nice enough to run outside.

Cons - The ventilation in the room was weird. Everything was very dry and really messed up my sinuses. That led to not a very good sleep experience. The air in my room would not stay on unless I kept the fan on all the time. The fan was extremely loud, also making it hard to sleep.

I ordered breakfast room service one morning. My order was wrong the first time so I called room service and sent it back. They brought another order up, which was wrong again. The third time they got it right, but they still charged me the standard gratuity and didn't seem too concerned. The food was cold when I finally got to eat it. Its really frustrating to have gratuity tacked on to your bill when it obviously didn't deserve the 15%-20% (I don't remember exactly) that they add automatically.

I didn't have much interaction with the front desk, but the lady who checked me out after my stay was exceptionally friendly.

Overall, I would probably give it another shot if I have to stay in the area again.

1  Thank mattrbailey