“Was hoping for so much more”

Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I live between Kansas City and Los Angeles and we thought it would be a nice treat to stay in a highly rated downtown hotel for a quick weekend trip back to KC rather than staying at our place in the river market.
When we arrived the sidewalk was being paved, so we had to walk around cars parked in front and squirm around traffic to reach the entrance with our luggage.
Note: the sidewalk was back to normal by the time we checked out.
We checked in but were rushed through the check-in process since there was only one attendant and multiple ringing phones. I get it, I travel a lot, no biggie. I can figure it all out.
We stayed in room 301 which is located just off the elevators. The room itself was really nice with a great street view onto Grand. If you want to sleep in or go to bed early on a weekend make sure you ask for another room. The modern elevator is cool, but incredibly loud and annoying at 6am when you are still in another time zone (perhaps my biggest gripe - the mornings - we know KC so we expected the noise on Grand at 1am, it's a party place!)
We put up the do not disturb sign on Saturday and got a big surprise when our room was entered and cleaned when we stepped out for half an hour. I'm just glad I wasn't sleeping or taking a shower!
In room dining was ok, but not memorable. No room service menu in the room, food delivered without utensils, blah blah blah.
Oh, and condoms in the desk drawer were a surprise. Apparently the last visitor finished all but the last two off.
I wrote the hotel a note about our weekend, I'll repost if I receive any feedback.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LAK1976
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you for your review of the Ambassador Hotel Kansas City. On behalf of my entire team I wish to apologize for the unpleasant experience you had last weekend. I sent a note to the email address we have on file and left a voice mail at the number on file so we could discuss your stay. I hope we have the opportunity to speak very soon.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We agree with all the reviews, clean, elegant, spacious. The driver took us wherever we wished to go in the area, which was a plus as the parking situation requires contacting the front desk by means of an outdoor intercom. The decorating was first rate and still reflected the old bank buildings former glory. Downsides: room wasn't serviced until 4:30 p.m. and we had a party to dress for at 6. "Hannah" asked if we had our "service sign" out - yes, we did at 9 that morning. Hannah should have responded, we will make sure housekeeping is aware of that next time. Restaurant: serve some bread or snacks while the customer waits for the meal to come (average wait was about l5 to 20 min.). At breakfast, we got one cup of coffee because our waitress was running the room service cart upstairs to other rooms. Leave the coffee pot on the table, we are happy to serve ourselves. Refining the little things makes the whole experience "world-class" and we can tell everyone is making the effort to provide a super stay.

Room Tip: Other than the heavy stairwell fire doors slamming shut, we had a very quiet and sunny room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The rooms are clean, elegant, and spacious. The staff is friendly and helpful. And the location is excellet (a block away from the Power & Light District and the College Basketball museum). I had a great stay, and will look to book there again on my next trip to KC.

Highlights:

- Thoughtful and consistent style (even in the elevators)
- Giant Shower
- Flat Screen TV's
- Blackout Curtains (really good ones)
- Comfy Bed

Room for improvement:

- Lack of valet parking
- Limited options for room service

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Having never been to Kansas City before I was happy there was such a stylish hotel. The rooms were a good size, the staff was mostly very nice and helpful, the beds were comfortable, the cocktails are great, there are many places to walk to from the hotel and they have a very handy driver who will drive you for free on a first come first served basis.

The downside: This is a party hotel - most of which takes place on the 5th floor so when you book stay far away from that floor. The walls and windows are very thin and partiers get very drunk and very loud. Also stay away from the elevators - they are extremely loud and can be heard through the walls.

While the design is good the workmanship is not up to par - tiles mislaid in the shower resulted in pools of water during and after showering, bathroom doors unlevel so don't stay shut, room numbers falling right off the doors, the food is very greasy and very salty.

My disappointment with this hotel is that with their design it seems they are trying to cater to people who appreciate details but there are trouble in the details everywhere you look. (I know this is silly but even the massive tiles behind the front desk are mislaid and don't line up properly - I think that's actually very telling about the whole place. Saying, "Welcome, we're not quite perfect but we don't think you'll notice.")

Then again, maybe they're just trying to be the somewhat trendy option in town - if that's the case, they'll do fine until they're no longer new.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jjenred5
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for taking time to review your experience of the Ambassador Hotel Kansas City. I am pleased you enjoyed our comfortable beds and had the opportunity to use our complimentary car service during your visit. As you mentioned our signature cocktails in Reserve are great and our location is the best in Kansas City. I appreciate your kind words regarding our colleagues as well, we have a dedicated team that strives to always exceed our guests expectations. I apologize that you were disturbed by other guests staying the hotel, and I have shared your comments regarding the shower with my team. Thank you again for your feedback, we hope you will stay with us again next time you visit Kansas City.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed there for a weekend getaway in August. The hotel was extremely nice. The shower was the best part. HUGE. It is within walking distance of great restaurants and entertainment. The hotel is complete with modern furnishings, and everything looks top of the line. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Located right in the middle of everything!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed at the Ambassador for four nights last week when I was in KC for a business trip. I live in Washington, DC and have stayed in luxury hotels around the world... and I thought the Ambassador hotel was fabulous. The modern decor signified impeccable taste and was comfortable at the same time. The staff was friendly and the bar/restaurant was a fun place to hang out. When in Kansas City, stay at the Ambassador and make sure to visit the nearby Crossroads art district. The new restaurant in Crossroads, the Jacobson, is better than much of the food I get in DC and NYC. Their Kansas City strip steak (with bone marrow butter on the side) and the Crossroads salad with avocado, house-cured bacon, and a poached egg on top should not be missed.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at the Ambassador Hotel in downtown Kansas City for one night during the second week of September, 2012. This hotel is an excellent boutique hotel with new, very modern style furnishings. I recommend it for both business and pleasure.

This hotel is part of a trend I am seeing in many larger cities in the United States, namely, taking an older elegant property and refurbishing it for a boutique hotel.

I originally expected to arrive late but upon arriving at the airport earlier than expected, I called the hotel and let them know I needed to check-in quickly before a business meeting. The front desk did an excellent job of very quickly checking me in and I was in my room and out for a business meeting in no time. Located downtown, the hotel had an excellent location within a block or two of my business meeting.

I had an executive king room that was nicely furnished and quite large. The furnishings appear to be brand-new. They did a very good job of refurbishing this older classic building. It gives the impression of a elegant older building but with modern furnishings. Amenities included a nice thick robe, not one of the cheap ones you see at other hotels, a Keurig coffeemaker with Starbucks coffee, good Wifi (included), an iHome radio to charge your iPhone (and listen to your own music), a small frig, and turndown service with cookies as an added touch. It was nice to make a drinkable cup of coffee in the room, as opposed to the terrible in-room coffee and coffee makers at every other hotel I've ever stayed at. Large modern bathroom with walk-in shower. Since the rooms are new, they have never had someone smoking in them. It appears to be a non-smoking hotel.

My business meeting ran late so I ate at the nearby 801 Chophouse which has excellent fillet mignon and steaks. There are a lot of restaurants near the hotel. I hope to try the restaurant at the hotel on my next visit.

The hotel front desk staff was very helpful in getting me checked out quickly for an early flight out. Overall, I highly recommend the Ambassador Hotel. By the way, the hotel appears to be so new that I had to give instructions to the taxi driver as to its location. Look for a large dark red flag hanging outside the front of the hotel that says Ambassador Hotel.