“Nice Stylish Hotel”

Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Had to spend a couple of nights in Kansas City and my friend picked the Ambassador hotel downtown.

The lobby and the bar restaurant space and was decorated in white leather, fur, animal prints and a dash of color but housed in what they told me used to be a bank. Loved the glass chandeliers.

Front desk was nice. Hit or miss on recommendations.

My room was big. Decent tellie, nice comfy bed, clean. I liked the decor; simple, modern, stylish, not cluttered or nonfunctional. The Picasso artwork is some of the best I've seen a hotel yet. Bathroom was big, glass shower, vanity.

We didn't try the food and the bar was usually empty. Not a whole lot around the immediate area of the hotel. Its close to an entertainment district with lots of chain type bars. Other than that most things seemed to be closed after work hours.

Nice hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We are frequent travelers to the Kansas City area and we usually stay around the Plaza area. On this trip we opted for a downtown location and felt comfortable with the Ambassador brand as we have stayed in their sister hotel in Tulsa. This hotel has only been open for a few weeks. Everything is sparkling clean. The decor is beautiful with white leather throughout the facility. The food in the restaurant was imaginative and wonderful. You have to try the lobster corndogs and the crabcakes! The downtown location was a great surprise. We spent several nights dining in the power and light district which is really fun.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I can't say enough about this hotel. From the moment my husband and I checked in, we were at home. The decor is modern and eclectic yet they've managed to make it extremely comfortable. From plush robes to fine linens, it was done up right. We had a spacious corner king room with a desk, couch, dresser and a large walk-in shower. We particularly like the availability of the in-town car service that made traveling to/from dinner in the Plaza a breeze. The only less than exceptional experience was breakfast in the restaurant, which was just okay. However, The staff and service throughout the hotel was sensational throughout our stay. I'd go back to the Ambassador again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed at the Ambassador Hotel in downtown Kansas City in August. The hotel is brand new and the rooms were fabulous. The front desk employees were fast and efficient. The lobby resembles a W-Hotel in the look and feel. The bar area was very nice. I didn't get to try to restaurant, but the seating area was also in the lobby area. The rooms are top notch. Again, it really made me think of the W-Hotel in many ways, although the Ambassador is brand new so the bedding, furniture, fixtures and rugs were all beautiful. The bathroom was huge by hotel standards and the shower was gigantic and covered in tile. The location is perfect for anyone with needing to stay in the Power and Light district. I really can't say enough about this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband and I took a mini vacation to Kansas City and stayed at the Ambassador for a couple of nights. The rooms are amazing. Spacious and brand new! The decor was beautiful.
The bathrooms had a huge walk in shower.
The service was fantastic. We took advantage of the complimentary ride to the plaza and back one night.
It is a convenient location at a price you can't beat for the value.
I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank icanea1
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Over the weekend we recently celebrated our anniversary. We live in the Shawnee Mission area of Kansas but wanted to get out of the house for the night. My wife read the reviews on this site and decided to roll the dice. Neither of us have ever visited a boutique hotel before. I am more of the low budge type when it comes to traveling. My concern was that this was downtown, not the Plaza area. The Plaza Hotels were booked but we liked the pictures and the Ambassador's website. We ate dinner at the Bristol and visited power and light. We checked in late Friday afternoon. Check in was fast. The front desk boy who checked us in helped my wife carry one of her boxes and bags to the room. We tried to tip him but he declined to take it, classy move. The room was definitely modern. It had a new leather smell. We were on the 5th floor away from the elevator. The bed was very soft. The room was quiet and hallway traffic noise was not a factor. Modern elegance is only way to describe the whole place. Check out was also very easy. If I ever stay in downtown or have any friends and family visit I wouldn't hesitate to point them in the Ambassador's direction. I am surprised there has not been more local press about this place. Very cool spot. Great special occasion spot.

Room Tip: Noise not a factor...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jayhawks74
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I normally stay at the Hilton President for work, which is a very nice old historic hotel and I always get treated very well. On my last stay, I stayed at the Ambassador.

The Ambassador is a much smaller, boutique hotel which is in a very nice historic building. It was totally renovated with a pleasing mix of contemporary furnishings and decor but it still maintained the historic integrity of the original building.

My room was a standard size hotel room but with a large bathroom, a very nice walk-in shower and a single sink. There was a flat screen TV, a dresser, an armoire, a desk, 2 side chairs and a bench at the foot of the bed. My king sized bed was very comfortable with nice linens. There was a plush robe for my use hanging on the wall in the bathroom. A nice feature was the Keurig coffeemaker with individual coffee servings.

There is a bar/lounge/restaurant which is just inside the lobby. It is designed very nice, and looks modern and comfortable.

The hotel is brand new and as long as they keep it looking nice and clean, it should be very successful.

If I had my choice between the Hilton President and The Ambassador, I'd stay at the Ambassador because it is smaller, easier to navigate and the parking is more convenient.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business