Residence Inn Kansas City Country Club Plaza
  • Restaurant
$178
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus Seville Plaza Hotel(Kansas City)(Great Value!)
$118
Best Western Country Inn - North(Kansas City)(Great Value!)
$83
$72
816 Hotel(Kansas City)(Great Value!)
$104
$101
$229
Hyatt Place Kansas City Airport(Kansas City)(Great Value!)
$111
Priceline
All reviewscountry club plazagas fireplacefree covered parkingstudio roomgreat restaurants and shopssmall kitchenslow elevatorfull kitchenliving areaclub areahappy hourlocation is greatstreet noisethree roomswithin easy walking distancenice breakfasta great place to stay
Reviewed April 29, 2010

This place was perfect. My wife and I traveled to KC to catch a Twins/Royals game in Late April and this place was just what we wanted. The hotel has an excellent location walking distance to lots of restraunts and shopping during the day or evening, area is very safe around the hotel. Short Cab ride to the lights district downtown. Was only a 15 minute drive to arrowhead and kauffman stadium. Room was a studio suite and a had everything Free Wi-Fi, fridge, coffemaker, hair dryer, pull out couch, flat screen TV's etc... Hotel has pool and hot tub, and complimentary breakfast weekday mornings. very comfortable accomodations. We were very satisfied with the hotel overall.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2010

They don’t really mention it on their website, but they have an on-site laundry room with two washers and four dryers. Each costs $1.50. The washers run for 40 minutes and the dryers run for an hour.

I initially got a first floor room in the East wing. These rooms require that you walk outside to get to the main building where the food is served. That was fine during nice weather, but it snowed twice during my stay. There are two rooms to a floor and no elevator. Shortly after I went to bed my first night, an upstairs neighbor came pounding down the stairs and slammed the front door to the outside. Even the maids would slam the outside door. Repeatedly. At 8 AM. On the weekend.

It seemed rather noisy, so I asked to change rooms. I couldn’t because the hotel was full. However, later in the week I was able to move into the tower. In retrospect, that was a mistake. The walls in the tower are really thin. I woke up to the beeping of the clock radio alarm of my next door neighbor at 4:45 AM. The next day was a weekend, so their alarm didn’t go off until 5 AM. It took me a long time to fall back asleep after both times. Sitting at the desk in the room, I could hear some kids having a good time in a bathtub. It turns out they were in the room on the other side of that wall. So, despite the short walk to the tower, I would recommend the East wing, though on an upper floor. One of my associates had an opera singer above him. He said that this man sang for an hour every afternoon and stomped the floor at night. In my new room, I could hear my early-alarm neighbor snoring as I tried to fall asleep.

My associates would turn on the furnace fan at night to mask the noises. Since the furnace woke me up every time it came on, I didn't try that.

The studio rooms are quite large, so much better than a regular hotel room. In a king bed room, you get two upholstered chairs. In a queen bed room, you get a sofa bed and one chair. Both include a desk with a nice office chair and a small two-person dining table. The kitchenette has a stove-top, coffee maker, toaster, microwave, refrigerator and dishwasher. There are some plates, flatware, glasses and cookware. My tower room had no sharp knives or serving utensils like those that were in the East wing room.

However, you might not need to use the kitchenette, because they offer a very nice breakfast every morning. They also have a social hour Monday through Wednesday that provides some food with beer and wine. While it’s high salt and high fat, it is more generous than other suite hotels, even other Residence Inns in KC. The kitchen and dining staff are very sweet and work really hard to please you.

The maid service does the bare minimum, so don’t expect clean where a vacuum can’t easily reach. If it doesn’t look dirty, it doesn’t get cleaned.

Another of my associates had two men walk into her room. It’s difficult for me to understand how a hotel can give guests a key card to a room that is already occupied. Either they are idiots or they have really lousy software. Perhaps both.

The hotel is currently being remodeled one floor at a time. The fifth floor reeked of glue from the week-old carpet. The smell was overpowering. Apparently buying low-VOC glue is not a priority. The remodel seems to be just new carpet, paint and window dressings for the room. I base this on the large chips in the bathtub and that the grout hadn’t been changed around the tub or door in many years. The wallpaper is either really ugly or very old; probably old. The fans really don’t have enough pull to move out odors. The windows seem to be vintage 1984. The refrigerators are noisy, so don’t appear to be new. It’s really too bad that they didn’t add some sound suppression in the walls when they “remodeled” the rooms. As a bonus in my room, the track for the drapes wasn’t hung level, so the right side rolled back to the center as soon as I opened them.

This is my second time staying here. I like to use the stairs, but apparently the staff doesn’t. On the back staircase, trash on the stairs can stay for days. I recall this from last year, also.

The “hot” tub is only lukewarm. The front desk said that the city has a limit on the temperature. It wasn’t worth using. After I asked them to turn up the hot tub heat, maintenance came into my room during the day and turned up my thermostat. Not sure how that helped.

The hotel has a great location near the Country Club Plaza. There is a creek just past the plaza with a wide concrete trail along it. My group stays here because of the room size, price, kitchen staff and food offerings.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 17, 2010

The staff made my valentine's day experience worry free. They let us enjoy ourselves and even recommended places to go within walking distance. I love the location of the Plaza Residence Inn...

Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2009

I have almost nothing bad to say about this hotel. The property was just beautiful, the staff friendly, and most importantly the location could not be beat! Just 5 minutes walk from the middle of the Country Club Plaza. We ate at Jack Stack BBQ and were back in the room 10 minutes later.

Ok, so two minor complaints and only one really has anything to do with the hotel.
#1. WHY do people insist on going to breakfast in their pajamas? When did it become acceptable for people to go to a public location (such as the breakfast area at a Residence Inn) wearing pajamas, slippers (or no shoes at all). Seriously people.

#2. The bed was extraordinarily uncomfortable. Felt like sleeping on concrete. We also had a suite and the sofa bed (where my 3 year old was sleeping) looked like a cereal bowl it was sunken so low in the middle. We all had a heck of a time sleeping.

Other than those two things.we loved the hotel and the area. We'll be trying the Hampton Inn next month as the beds are more consistent with that brand.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 24, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights and were very comfortable. The building we were in (the "east wing") was an obviously older building, but updated furnishings and fixtures helped to overlook the thin walls and squeaky floors. We had a minor maintenance issue that was quickly addressed. The room was clean and we had no real complaints.

The location was great, within an easy walking distance of great restaurants and shops. Definitely an upscale area!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple