“Good Food, the Service is Spotty” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zocalo Mexican Cuisine & Tequileria

Zocalo Mexican Cuisine & Tequileria
Reserve with OpenTable
Zocalo Mexican Cuisine & Tequileria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 1,400 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 48th & Jefferson
“Good Food, the Service is Spotty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

I found the food to be pretty good and a place that I would return to. The night I was there, the service was just so-so. They served me, and I dined at an off time. There were sufficient number of servers and bar tenders, but they really didn't pay much attention to the patrons. After my food was delivered, no one asked me how I liked the food or if I didn't. In most restaurants there is a follow up to see if you like the food, not here. The restaurant was not crowded nor that busy. Again the food is the redeeming quality as the service certainly isn't

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Solomon, Kansas
“fantastic upscale mexican”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

All the food and drink was excellent and well presented. Had 3 salsa appetizer, skinny margarita, jalepeno cooler, mexican manhattan, seafood relleno, seafood enchilada, prawn special.Our waiter Chip was great. Atmosphere and location was wonderful. Expensive, but probably average for the Plaza.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank markels
Kansas City, Missouri
“Everyone Agreed--We'll Happily Go Back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

I work in downtown KC, and liked the looks of this place when they sent promotional postcards last fall. But initial reviews were mixed, so we never ended up going.

Went a few weeks ago, and it was really very good. It's uptown Mexican fare--a bit more expensive than some of the SW Boulevard restaurants, but totally worth it and a fun change of pace. Cuisine all has a fun spin to it--for instance, the husband had chorizo meatloaf--and LOVED it (and he can be kind of hard to please). I had an enchilada sampler, they were all great but we agreed the seafood one was absolutely amazing--and we don't generally venture into seafood all that often. Also, the "terrorized" carrots were delish.

Yes, you have to pay for chips and salsa, but you get to select multiple from a menu of really great salsas (not just tomato puree)--according to your flavor and spice preferences--all tasted fantastic. The waiter also recommended the skinny margarita, and it was perfect. Still sweet (many skinnies aren't) but not overkill. Now, I didn't get a huge buzz off it, but it really hit the spot on a hot summer evening.

We'll go back soon!

Also, the bar was packed that Friday night, so we couldn't try it, but I hear their weeknight happy hour is a good deal. When the weather is nice, I bet the patio is wonderful. It was too hot this last time.

• Visited July 2012
Kansas
“AWESOME FOOD and SERVICE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

All I can say is.... Awesome!!! My Husband and I along with son and his wife went before , going to the JT concert, From the beginning we were made to feel welcome. We had made reservations, but arrived early, so took a seat in the nicely appointed bar area.ERIN, our bartender was simply put, OUTSTANDING. Not only did she prepare excellent drinks she explained them and really made some great recommendations. she was also several notch's above on the service and so friendly. i HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE MARGARITAS!!!!!!!!!!! They were wonderful! Would love to have Erin serve us again. we even asked if she served any tables. When we were seated there was sl. confusion as to who would be our waiter. Christian came to our rescue and it was a non issue. Christian was also Awesome!!!! He made us feel like we were the only ones there, (which was tough because they were just getting in to the dinner hour).Zocalo has an eclectic slant to the typical Mexican fare so we were unsure what to order.CHRISTIAN TOOK THE TIME TO EXPLAIN THE MENU! He had us laughing and feeling at home. His service was some of the best we've had for some time! You ask about the food??? We'll certainly be back!! The Empinades were delicious and oh so clean, no grease there!. The Chile rellenos were out of site. Would love to try some with shredded chicken...hint hint. The beans and rice are also excellent and So different.We usually like our Mexican really spicy, but at Zocalo there was so much flavor that we didn't even ask for the "Hot sauce". My Son said" Mom if you ever want to bring this home for dinner. I wouldn't complain." Thanks Zocalo for an excellent experience in EVERY way. A special thanks to Erin and Christian... a job well done!

• Visited July 2012
Saint Louis, MO
“Great new twists to Mexican food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Very good selection. Great location in the Country Club Plaza area. Imaginative menu and preparation. Try the Chorizo Fundido for an appetizer. Perfect! As a side I highly recommend the "Terrorized Carrots". Ask your server why they have that name!!! Great place.

Visited July 2012