“Friday Friendly during Lent”
Review of Hickok's Bar and Grill - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hickok's Bar and Grill
Cuisines: American
Kansas City, Missouri
“Friday Friendly during Lent”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Had lunch last Friday with a friend at this River Market watering hole and restaurant. Was pleased to see that they had a 25% off special on all seafood dishes during Lent. I had the shrimp enchiladas and thought that they were pretty good. Each enchilada had two medium shrimp that were cooked well and topped with queso sauce - beans and rice came on the side. My friend had their BLT and fries. I thought that the draft beer selection was pretty limited for a saloon type of venue. I will go back.

• Visited February 2012

Morristown, Arizona
“Good Food, Decent Experience- but could really be better”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

The food here is usually pretty good & we like to come here for lunch or an after work dinner/drink. There are not many vegetarian choices, but the food is definitely better than typical bar food. They offer chips & salsa when you get seated which I like. I like the booth seating & there is usually not a wait. I guess it is an easy choice. Oddly, we have been here multiple times (sometimes twice on the same day or next day) & the owner has seen us. He seems really tired or even indifferent towards his return guests- I guess I just think this place would offer a better experience by being a "neighborhood style" bar with a friendlier staff. The service is not bad, just not warm. I really think this place could be better & hope it gets there.

• Visited December 2011
Jefferson County, CO
“Nice Ambiance & Location, Good Food”
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Went for second time recently. The restaurant is in the old bar space occupied by "Niko's" in the 70's. While that incarnation was a real dump, Hickok's has remodeled and expanded into some footage to the north and have created an attractive, comfortable setting.

Regarding the food, first you receive their chips and salsa. While certainly not bad, the chips are a little bland, could have more flavor. The salsa is an earthy, dark, roasted version that I'm sure will please many. I personally prefer a brighter, fresher take on this classic.

Try the calamari. It is a mix of the standard small rings but also includes strips of squid-steak. This makes it special.

The fried burger is chicken fried and adorned with multiple toppings. Very filling and a fun twist on the standard burger.

I also have tried the crispy quesadillas. This didn't work for me because they were mixed with a significant portion of carmelized onions. The combination didn't suit my tastes and, unfortunately, pretty much negated the "crispy" texture that you were promised.

All things considered, Hickok's is a worthy addition to the River Market and has a lengthy and interesting menu to explore.

• Visited October 2011