“Believe the reviews -- this place is terrible!”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Kansas City Airport
Ranked #81 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed March 28, 2009

Folks, listen to the negative reviews of this place. I had one of the worst hotel customer service experiences of my life there.

We arrived at about 10:00 a.m. after our flight got in. We had booked the place through hotels.com, and a room was ready. The catch? We had to pay a $25 surcharge for "early check in." Now the room was ready to go. They simply refused to honor the hotels.com price. When I asked to speak to a manager, he refused to come out, talked with me on the phone, and when he asked me to ask the desk clerk a question, actually said to me, "She's stupid! Put her on the line." I am not making this up. When I asked to speak to the franchise owner, she refused to take my call, but relayed messages through the desk clerk, who was actually trying to be helpful.

The management here is a total joke. I stayed at the Fairfield by Marriott nearby instead, and it was FAR better. Avoid this place at all costs! Such service needs NEVER to be rewarded!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Douglas D

Reviewed February 23, 2009

Never stay there! I took a chance , because of the low rates, and I certainly did get what i didn't pay for. The room had been refurbished, but was still dirty, and the linens were old and threadbare. And the airprot shuttle van driver was slurring his words and smelled of booze. Thank goodness it was only a five minute trip from the airport, and not on a major road. I intended to complain about the van driver, but when i went to the lobby the next morning, the clerk didn't seem much more sober than the van driver. This was the worst hotel experience of my entire life.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank no1youknow
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I felt the need to get online and write this review literally while I am still in this hotel. Upon arrival a gentleman was standing in the hotel entrance smoking. Assuming he was a guest I passed by him.... until he asked "How may I help you?" I told him that I was there to check in. This was a little past 2:00pm. He told me that he would have to charge me extra money to check in even though it was less than an hour before their check in time of 3:00pm. I decided to come back at 3:00pm instead of paying more. Upon returning there was a guest in the lobby that had his motorcycle stolen in the parking lot and another customer that had their car window broken. The attendant was telling them there was nothing she could do for them. When I was brought to my room it was the size of a closet and disgusting. I was shown two other rooms which were the same if not worse. Everything was stained and the sheets had not been changed. I asked to speak with the owner which she said was out of town and had double lung surgery and the other manager was on vacation. She proceeded to gossip about me and told another employee that I was complaining about my room literally while I was down the hallway! When I finally demanded o speak with the owner again, she put him on the phone. He could barely speak English and told me that since I booked through Expedia I lose. He said they get paid a lot less when people book through Expedia. This had nothing to do with my complaint. He spoke terrible broken English and not only could I barely understand him, he was rude and wouldn't let me explain my situation. This is literally the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. It is dirty and has no customer service. DO NOT STAY HERE! I am stuck here overnight in a dark fowl smelling room. Do not put yourself through this. The Four Points that is directly across the street is fabulous for a few more dollars.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank femaletraveler_8
Reviewed June 25, 2008

My wife had made a reservation far in advance and on the day of the reservation called in the afternoon and was told there was no problem. When she arrived and showed them her confirmation number sht was told she didn't have a room as they were "overbooked" In other words someone apparently paid them more and she had no room. She was given no help in finding another room and no voucher. Don't believe a word they say and don't expect to get a reservation here. The room was guaranteed with a credit card. Apparently Microtel doesn't have a system to guarantee reservations. BEWARE

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank amicoitaly
Reviewed March 20, 2008

The motel staff was friendly and polite, and upon arrival they gave me a little bag with an odd assortment of antiperspirant, toothpaste, Alka-Seltzer, skin lotion, and breath fresheners. A plastic food storage container sat on the front desk with store bought chocolate chip cookies for the guests. I have had better cookies.

Although the linen was clean, the small room smelled like sweaty athletic shoes. The walls were scuffed, dented, and badly patched, which I plainly noticed even in the dim light. Fortunately, I had shower shoes to walk over the rug so I did not have to disinfect my feet.

The austere continental breakfast was served in a grubby dining area with a fake floral décor that truly was ugly. A small TV sat in one corner of the dining area trailing cords and looking like it had been there since the hotel was built.

I would rate this motel as a no different than a Motel 6 establishment with a kitchenette. The atmosphere screamed thrift, and I was glad that I only had to stay one night. I don’t expect to stay again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank Mr_Rex
Reviewed March 20, 2008

We arrived very late in the evening (after 11:00 pm) but the front desk clerk was bright-eyed and very friendly, offering us chocolate chip cookies, water, and a small gift. The hotels.com phone reservationist apparently did not know that the rate she quoted was for single occupancy and that there was an extra charge of $10 per additional person. We were tired and the clerk was very apologetic so we paid the additional fee. The hotel appeared to have many amenities including a pool and continental breakfast but our visit was so short we were unable to enjoy them.

In addition, the hotels.com rep indicated the hotel charges $4/night for park & ride but it was actually $5/night which was still pretty reasonable. There was no parking lot security, but one look at the other cars in the lot (mostly luxury models) told us that our old minivan would not be at risk. So we set our wake-up call and signed up for the shuttle and went up to our room.

The room was small but very clean and comfortable. The bath & shower worked well and the bed was very nice. I was glad my husband set the in-room alarm clock because we did not get our wake-up call. Once again, the desk clerk was very apologetic. The shuttle driver was very friendly and ready to go when we came downstairs at 5:00 a.m.

Upon our return, we used the airport phone to call Microtel and the shuttle picked us up right outside baggage claim in less than 10 minutes. All in all it was a very positive experience and we would definitely consider staying there again or recommending it to our friends.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JenniInOz
Reviewed January 7, 2008

As I was driving to the hotel from the airport, I had a little trouble finding the hotel but when I called the hotel the lady who answered the phone was very helpful, I got turned around without any trouble and found it right away. The check-in was great, never expected to get a mug filled with candy. Bed was wonderful, breakfast was ok to get me going in the morning. Would stay here again. Price was excellent.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo