“What Was I Thinking!?”

Ranked #80 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Jefferson County, CO
“What Was I Thinking!?”
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I was looking for a clean, inexpensive motel to hang out in during a Chiefs game weekend. Saw the mixed reviews on this Microtel and decided to roll the dice.

Snake eyes!

The facility was worn and tired. The room was genuinely grungy. Many stains, cigarette burns, etc. At least it seemed as though the carpet was vacuumed but that was the highlight of the room. Remote control for the flat screen was MIA.

Although I looked far and wide for bed bugs and did not find them, I felt the entire time that I was living in a cootie-condo!

But you know what; this place was so cheap that I really blamed myself. I am old enough to know the truth of the old saw "You get what you pay for" and I fell victim to frugality.

So if you are an incredible cheapskate or your vision is 20/100 and you won't see how bad it is, this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Go across the street to the Sheraton Four Points.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ObscureDave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed October 4, 2011

The room was to small not comfortable at all, but the bed was comfortable, the man works at the front desk which I believe he's a senior, is kind of serious and very unfriendly I was a little bit concern when I had to talk to him or to request anything, because he didn't treat us as a guest he just treated us like when you going to a supermarket cashier to pay something... The breakfast was very poor, and I would say the only good about this hotel was, BED, TV, PRICE AND FREE LONG DISTANCE CALLS IN USA AND CANADA. The hotel staff are not friendly and not helpful neither...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 22, 2011

This hotel was about as bare as it comes. The hotel staff was very friendly except for the day guy. He was kind of a grumpy old man...I asked him what the difference was between a suite and a standard room and he said nothing....which was a lie....we needed more space for the 3 of us...plus I really needed a coffee maker! Will choose a different hotel next time.

• Stayed September 2011
Beaver, Utah
Reviewed September 15, 2011

This hotel is the worst place we have ever stayed. The bed linens smelled, the eletrical outlets in the room didn't work, the hair dryer didn't work and overall it was dirty and smelly. The breakfast was horrible -- the fruit was rotten. If you value your property, don't stay there. We left our Ipod connected to the headphones on our bed and discovered when we came back both were gone. The management was not interested in trying to find it. A day later the headphones turned up but the Ipod was gone. Even though it was obvious that the Ipod was stolen, since both were connected and only the headphones were found, neither the owner or manager was concerned. They absolutely knew someone on their staff stole the Ipod, but wouldn't pursue it. We realize they aren't responsible for personal property, but to steal from the room a customer is staying in goes beyond that. We've stayed at many, many hotels across the country, and never have had theft at any hotels. We will absolutely never stay at any of their properties again, and will make sure our family and friends know what kind of hotels they operate.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ralph W
Kingston, New York
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We went to Kansas City for the Ringside Boxing World Championship in August 2011. We were there for 6 nights. They pick you up from the Airport and bring you back. I had a 6 AM flight and they brought me at 4:30 AM so I would be on time. The overnight worker is best. He made sure there was coffee, juice and bagels at 4 AM on date of departure. The room or suite was a room. It was nice. We had a King size bed and a pull out couch with fridge and microwave. If you need two beds be very clear. We stayed there because it is next door to the expo center. It is very far from downtown Kansas City. A taxi is about $40 each way. You will want to rent a car or if you don't need to be at the Expo Center you may want to stay downtown or you will need a car.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Winnipeg
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Hotel was a little tough to find, it was late so at first we thought our GPS had us on a wild goose chase, but eventually we found it.

The room was a good size, the internet worked and the bed was comfy.

The only negative worth mentioning is the breakfast .. cereal was stale, not a big selection and I watched as one of the staff restocked the bagels with his bare hands. Maybe this is the norm in the US but in Canada I have gotten used to seeing all food workers use utensils and wear plastic gloves so I was a little put off by what I witnessed.

Not ruling out this hotel in the future, but will definitely not eat there again.

That's my rant, take it for what it is worth.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I stayed one night during a recent trip because I had an early morning flight out of MCI. Parking is free if you are staying in the hotel overnight. It's an older hotel but the rooms have been updated a little bit with flat screen TVs and the bed linens were okay. The beds are a bit soft and the pillows a bit thick, but it was okay. For sixty dollars for the night including tax I was able to book a queen suite room for the same price as a regular room. The suite is quite large and would be great for a family, it included a microwave, sink, and fridge in the kitchenette area as well as a small dining table, a sofa, coffee table, etc. The furniture is a bit dated but everything was clean. The shower had good water pressure and the towels were actually thicker than expected. It was a bit noisy, the walls are thin and you can hear doors slamming in the hallways, but most hotels at this level don't have the best insulation/soundproofing. The front desk staff was nice. For the price, it's a very good value. Of note, I stayed at the Sheraton across the street and it's just a tiny bit of an upgrade I felt from this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo