New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown
Ranked #59 of 113 Hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Worth, Texas
“Was Acceptable for a Few Nights”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I was in town for SkillsUSA for a few days. I needed a place to stay in a pinch because my reservations elsewhere were fouled up. My room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was very good; loved the coffee! My only complaint, really, was upon check in they tried charging me a $50 incidental charge. This was not stated anywhere on the website or in my paperwork. After stating this, they waived it. Of course with many kids staying at the hotel for the SkillsUSA, there were a lot of slamming doors all night, etc... but no fault to the hotel. I was expecting it. Over all, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VWhitford, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Mrs, JenniferB71

Thank you for taking the time and leaving us a review on how your stay was last week. Yes Skills USA was a very busy time, but we enjoyed having everyone with us. The 50$ autho is for incidentals the 50$ goes back on your debit/credit card after you check out. With some banks it shows as a charge but is only a authorization. I will speak with ownership about having our sites updated for this.We hope to see you again maybe next year for Skills. Have a good 4th.

Cecily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful! My main complaint with the hotel was not enough parking. The parking lot is not large enough to accommodate for the number of guests in the hotel. I came back late from a wedding reception and had to park across the street and walk in the dark carrying my infant son. The breakfast was alright. Would like to have had some bacon :) good location because it is easy to get on and off main highways and was close to everything we were there for, although the neighborhood is a little scary at night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VWhitford, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear. Jennakaye

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review regarding our property. I understand your feelings on the parking situation. The ownership has honestly been doing everything in their power to try and make the parking more manageable. We purchased the lot on the corner to help with over flow. I am sorry that you had to walk across with an infant, we are working on getting more lighting put up over at the other lot, to try and make guests feel safer. Just like any change it will take time to get all the glitches figured out completely.

Have a great 4th of July
Las Vegas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Expectations met but don't arrive hungry late at night because there are no places around for a quick bit to eat. We ended up ordering pizza at the suggestion of the hotel clerk and called Sarpinos (816.931.8600) and it was FANTASTICLY delicious and the frustration of driving around looking for a place to eat was quickly forgotten.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
VWhitford, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Lily P

Thank you for your review regarding Comfort Inn & Suites. Sapinos is def. a great place to eat. There are alot of places to eat near our hotel within a mile down the road, some closer. We are located near P&L and crown center where there is a variety of restaurants. As we also have delivery menus in our lobby. I hope that next time you come to KC you choose to stay with us as well, and possibly try some famous BBQ!
toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

The hotel is clean, rooms are nice, flat screen t.v., comfortable beds, although the pillows are too soft. The pool and hot tub are nice and the breakfast is one of the better ones with a big choice of foods to eat. But, the Internet connection was extremely slow. My biggest complaint is that we requested a late check out since their check out time is 11 am and our airplane wasn't leaving until 4:15. I asked for 1:30 check out and they refused and would only give us noon. I note that the cleaning women were still doing rooms way down the hall and I think they didn't have to chase us out so quickly. We really had nothing to do from noon until 2:30 when we had to return our rental car.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Torontojudy

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor regarding Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown. We appreciate everyones feed back regarding our Facility. I am sorry about the inconvenience on the late check out and the WIFI signal. Unfortunately I am unable to look up your reservation, so I am unable to give a adequate reason on why you did not receive a late check out. I know on weekends especially on Saturdays we are almost always sold out, so we do have to give housekeepers plenty of time to get all rooms clean by 2p, one way to assure a late check out is by signing up for Choice Privileges. We do hope to see you again on your next trip to KC.
Kansas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Parking is a disaster!!! Very little parking available. NO SIGNS to direct us to another parking lot, which ended up being across the street and appears to be private parking for other buildings. There was no way to know that until you have already been driving around for 20 minutes in the dark and gave up to ask the staff who told us to park across the street when full. The dark parking lot across the street was a horrible and unsafe place to have to leave your car and drag your children through. Homeless men camped out in the lot as well. We ended up parking between two huge garbage freights. ALSO YOU MUST HAVE A PARKING TAG OR YOU WILL BE TOWED!!!! This place is disgusting. Beds were worn down and sunken into a thin lumpy U-shape. Floors are so dirty your feet turn black.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Krystal H
Dear KrystalH

I am sorry you were displeased with your stay, we pride our selves on guests having a great experience while staying with us. On our busier nights parking can be a issue, which is why we purchased the lot on the corner to help with overflow. There are signs located at entrance and at front counter, informing where to park if hotel is full. We want to make sure every guests has a area to leave their vehicle.The hotel has been going through alot of renovations, all new bathrooms being put in, we have had Cintas come in and shampoo carpets with construstion things do tend to get a little dirtier. I did send maintenance to the room that you and your family stayed in to check the mattresses. Thank you for leaving a response and we hope you can give us a chance to make this better
KC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

If you can afford a better place to stay when coming to KC - please do! I was looking forward to being downtown and walking where I wanted to go - not from THIS place! The best part of the whole place - free parking.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KcKansas
VWhitford, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear KcKansas

I am sorry you did not feel safe at our property. We do take people saftely very serious here. I myself since I have been here, there has not been anything dangerous. I have also spoken with members of the team that have been here years, and they have said the same. I hope there is something I can do to make this right to you. Please feel free to contact me directly

Cecily Lara
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I love this hotel, it's always clean with nice folks working there and my business is always close to this location. My room was the best I've had there, a choice corner room with a window on each side. Right at the end of the hallway by the stairs, it was the perfect location for running out to get something to eat or running down for breakfast. Speaking of breakfast, it's a great one here: scrambled eggs, sausages, hard boiled eggs, waffles, packets of oatmeal; anything you'd want or need in the way of breakfast. I think they even had biscuits and gravy if a person wanted that for breakfast. Parking is semi-secure with a fence around the whole property, and there's a great pool and workout room inside for staying in shape on the road. This is my go-to hotel in Kansas City, there's not a thing I don't like about it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Scottyg7777

Thank you so much for the review, we are always glad to see these comments on both Tripadvisor and through Choice. Hope to see you again soon!

Cecily Lara