“Surprise Visitor”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Wichita, Kansas
“Surprise Visitor”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Great location, very clean rooms, and one of the best breakfast attendants I've ever met. I met a buddy in KC for the Warrior Dash on May 5th. We were in bed by 10:30pm the night after the race, which happened to be Cinco de Mayo as well. At 2:00am, we heard repeated attempts of a key trying to get access to our room. We assumed it was a drunk woman that just had the wrong room. Well, after about six attempts, she was successful! Our door opened and thankfully the metal stopper/latch kept her from getting in. When he jumped up and approached the door, she smarted off, and a group of six drunk lasses moved on. When I mentioned the incident to the front desk clerk the next morning, she said "sorry" while barely looking up from whatever she was working on. Good thing that latch kept them from getting in. And good thing it wasn't six drunk men that got access to two 24-year-old women's room. Or good thing it wasn't a destitute, desperate criminal getting access to an affluent little old woman's room. My buddy and I laughed it off, but if they tables were turned, I'm sure Comfort Inn Downtown would be party to a giant lawsuit. The clerk's lack of concern was surprising and disappointing.

Room Tip: Get one with a door latch. And use it.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Matthew C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Oklahoma City
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This hotel was very clean and the staff was very acommodating. My grandaughter enjoyed the indoor pool. It was less than a mile away from the Kansas City Convention Center where we were attending a dance competition, so the location was very convenient for that. If there is any drawback it would be a lack of surrounding eating places, but you can get back on the interstate easily, go a couple miles and exit to restaurants and fast food places. This is not a "luxury hotel" but is perfect for our needs: it is modern and clean, has a pool, small gym, in-room coffee pot, hair dryer, microwave and frig. I called the front desk the day I returned home and asked if the maid had found my i-phone charger. She had found it and turned it in. The yound man at the front desk mailed it to me and 2 days later I received it. I appreciate the excellent service provided by both employees. I will continue to stay there when visiting Kansas City, MO.

Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

Booked this hotel because if its location in the downtown area. I am a choice rewards member and received a good deal on the rate. I got exactly what I didn't pay for! The first room we were given smelled very strongly of mold and there was something that appeared to be mold growing on the ceiling. We went back to the desk and were changed to a different room and it was ok. I wanted to move to a different hotel but it was late. There isn't anything fancy about this hotel, it has all the basics.

• Stayed April 2012
Northwest
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We stayed here one night and found the rooms comfortable and spacious. They were also clean and well priced. There was a sitting room with a faucet, fridge, desk, coffee table, and sofa. The continental breakfast was well supplied and had quite a bit of variety.

• Stayed April 2012
Houston, tx
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Close to the highway and fairly noisy. ask for a top floor room so no tromping around upstairs. breakfast on the weekend was okay but no eggs or sausage like there was the first day on Friday. I never eat biscuits and gravy and that was the only "hot" choice that didn't require time (like the waffles). bathroom switch, yes, should be on the inside of the bathroom. no way to turn on the light and NOT wake up everyone else in the place. bed was not very comfortable, and the pullout bed in the couch was unbearable. also the halls smelled like someone had been smoking out there.

HOWEVER Amber working at the front desk was a total doll. she went above and beyond, starting from when she checked us in at 12:45 in the morning, and then every time we needed any and everything after that. she gets top marks for customer service from us!!! otherwise, it was a standard lower level hotel experience.

Room Tip: top floor for sure!
1 Thank Mylinda F
Long Island
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We were in KC for a volleyball tourney, and I have to say I was somewhat nervous about what this hotel would be like after reading some of the reviews about the area, but I have to say, that although the immediate area isn't that picturesque (close the interstate and on the edge of the city). The inside of the hotel and the rooms were very nice. The room was large and had a safe, fridge and microwave. A nice breakfast is available, it has a nice selection and is well attended too.
The rooms were immaculate, and the front desk staff was very nice and helpful. There is no charge for parking either, although the lot is a little small when the hotel is full.
If we are ever back in the area we would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the side away from the interstate if you think the noise will be an issue. I hardl...
1 Thank Mish7777
Omaha
Reviewed April 15, 2012

After a long day of travel, who doesn't want a hot shower? At this Comfort Inn in Kansas City, there was NO hot water. The front desk was called. Said the manager wasn't there. Really? That's the solution? I guess I could use the cup sized coffee pot to warm up water for a bath. Next morning, STILL no hot water. Called the front desk. Said they'd call the manager. At checkout, I very kindly told the front desk about the hot water issue. Apparently, we weren't the only ones. I suggested that part of my room should be refunded as compensation. You guessed it.....he would have to talk to the manager. I have NO confidence that this will ever happen.

Beds were fine, room was clean. Bathroom was lacking. Hated having the light switch to the bathroom OUTSIDE of the bathroom. Bad idea. Tall fence around the hotel and parking lot was a little unnerving. Located right next to the interstate so a little noisy. OK breakfast. Ran out of coffee.

Hopefully the hot water was the exception in our case. Was disappointed that the hotel didn't do a better job at fixing our hot water problem. They should have offered to compensate.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business