WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City

Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City
Ranked #45 of 113 Hotels in Kansas City
North Kansas City, Missouri
“It may cost you more than you expect.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

This property is fairly nice though not nearly as nice as their St. Charles property. There is no pool or gym at the hotel and if you look at the AMENITIES & SERVICES on their web site you find that they have many ATM machines, check cashing and foreign exchange to make it convenient for you to get cash to blow in the CASINO. All the restaurants are nice and serve good food, not too overly priced and there is even a movie theater to send the kids to while you play. So as you can see, it is really all about the CASINO. If you play I recommend that you use your player card so when you lose lots of money you can get food comps or a very small percent of your cash back. Also by using your player card you can keep track of how much money you lose, not that you can deduct it from your taxes. Also take note that if you use your credit card at the cashier to get a cash advance you better read the fine print on your card agreement. Some cards will cancel your credit for purchasing gambling chips. Basically this property is about taking your money and putting it into their pocket so if you want somewhere to go and blow your savings account this is your ticket. Even if you’re just here for a ball game, graduation, wedding or other event, you can’t really avoid the casino as it is right there at the hotel. So come to KC, have a good time but beware of the slot machines, they are very alluring and the atmosphere will let you get carried away. Don’t expect to win anything. I’ve visited this casino over 500 times and know all of the machines well, yet I have only won on 3 occasions, that adds up to well under 1% player hold. I’ve met visitors who got carried away and spent way over their budget, so it may cost you. After all, it is a CASINO. Good luck, have a safe and happy trip wherever you choose to stay.

Room Tip: If you get a room higher up you might have to wait on the elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
17 Thank MoMan43
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
I’m sorry you feel this way, MoMan43. We do appreciate you staying with us and your feedback. We see you enjoy concerts - if you’re looking for something other than the casino and you stay with us on the weekends, you may want to check out our live music on the train in Depot #9. Also our brewery, Amerisports, always has all the big games on our 52 screens, an extensive menu and a selection of beers that we brew here on site. Hope your next visit is a better one. Look us up on Facebook or Twitter with any questions during your next stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Branson West, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Our recent stay at the Ameristar was excellent. The rooms were large, comfortable and spotless. Check was fast and the receptionist was pleasent and helpful. The entire property is clean and safe. The casino is easy to get to and the sellection of restaurants on the property is amazing. The buffet is well worth stopping at. Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thanks for your recommendation and for visiting! I'm glad you had a fun stay and we hope to see you again soon.
Fort Smith, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

On checking in, the front desk clerk was very courteous and helpful. As I was in the elevator on my way to the room, I noticed that the carpet in the elevator had just been replaced--obviously part of regular, on-going maintenance at the hotel. My hotel room was very clean and in good condition. The furnishings in my room all appeared to be new and in working order and the only criticism of the room is that the lighting wasn't very good. The room had a desk with free high speed internet service that I used during the trip with no problem. The only real downside to the stay was that the trip was for two days. After the first night, I left a tip of $5.00 for the housekeeper (which I consider to be fairly generous), yet the housekeeper did not replace two used bath towels. The two old towels were removed but no clean towels were provided which left my wife and I with only a single towel for the two of us on our last day. We were disappointed with the housekeeper (who didn't receive a tip on our last day) but believe that this was likely an isolated event or the hotel would not have been nearly as clean as it was. I've been to this hotel/casino several times in the past and never had a similar problem.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thanks so much for staying with us and for sharing your review. I apologize for the inconvenience regarding your towels. We appreciate your understanding, as we do our best to make sure each and every guest receives hospitable service while staying with us. We do hope to see you again soon!
White Bear Lake, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Room was nothing special. There was a KC Chiefs vs Oakland Raiders game that day. All kind of football fans staying there and only one person at the desk to check in with. Went to the buffet downstairs for supper. And even though there were more than 50 empty tables I waited over 7 mins after paying for my food(doesn't count the 5 waiting to pay) and still hadn't been seated before I asked for a refund. The manager came up and said to the cashier "oh he has only been waiting 7 mins for a seat". I feel my time is valuable and to me with that many tables empty why is it taking so long. Again it was over priced it would have been over 22 dollars.

Also this large hotel and gaming place does not have a shuttle to and from anywhere including the airport.

Room Tip: I would stay somewhere else and if you wanted to travel then stay somewhere else and drive over.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Pat N
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Pat, I'm so sorry if you were unsatisfied with your experience with us. We want all of our guests to receive quality service when they visit. We do really value your time and feedback, and I will be sure to pass it along. Please feel free to reach out to us at atyourservicekc@ameristar.com with your contact info and details of your visit and we will get back to you to personally discuss you stay.
Conway, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

As all the other reviews say, this is a very nice property! The staff is very friendly, the rooms are very plush, and I really liked the location overlooking the River. We upgraded to a Players Suite for $10 a night, and it was well worth it to have a sitting area and a balcony. As for the casino, all 4 of the people with me came away with more money then we came with. Three of us were playing table games and 1 a combination of table games and slots. The comp system in the casino is a little bit confusing, but the staff is more then happy to explain.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I'm so glad you had a great stay with us and enjoyed your Players Suite! Thanks for sharing your review and we hope to see you again.
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I don't get to come to Kansas City often, but when I do I always stay at the Ameristar. Their Service Is A+, the rooms are great. They are accomandating to your needs and very helpful. The valet service is fast and friendly. I reccommand anyone to stay and enjoy the hotel and casino it so much fun. I can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Ask About upgrades, you won't believe your eyes.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank lacresha5
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for the recommendation! I'm happy to hear you had a fun and exciting experience with us. We hope to see you again soon.
Cleveland, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife and myself travel out through KC on the way to UT one time a year and always look forward to staying at the Ameristar in KC. This is a first class hotel and casino. The rooms are great and the casino has the latest slots and games. The hotel and Casino are located in an area where it is quite and easy accessable from I-435. Already looking forward to next year. We have stayed here for the past four years.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hey Horace, thanks for posting your review and for your loyalty over the years. I'm glad you and your wife enjoy visiting us and we look forward to seeing the two of you next year.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
#70 of 113 in Kansas City
Hotel Sorella Country Club Plaza
Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center
Comfort Inn & Suites near Worlds of Fun

Been to Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City? Share your experiences!