“Was not impressed”

Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City
Ranked #51 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Considering the cost of our room, I was very much surprised at the cleanliness and the smell. The room smelled like wet dog, which I can only assume means that they had recently cleaned the carpets. To make matters worse, there were hairs on the sheets and in the shower. I'd say that means they need to get someone else to clean the rooms because whoever cleaned ours was apparently in too big of a hurry to do it properly.
To make matters worse, I went into the drawer of the bedside table to find a pen, the bible was covered in obscene drawings and human liquids... I'm not kidding. I ended up throwing it out using a towel and leaving a note for the staff saying why. I was appalled. I didn't want to complain again after already complaining about the sheets and the smell (which still didn't get us another room). I was surprised that I didn't get a call or an e-mail from the company after leaving the survey filled out in the room... so I'm assuming that same made must have found it and thrown it away to avoid getting in trouble?
The casino was fun, they have a decent selection of machines, but there's not a ton for a young couple to do except play the slots, cards or drink. There is a movie theater which we did not go to, and the food was decent at the buffet restaurant. The only real problem I had with this place was the room, which is why I gave it 2 stars instead of 1.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AuthorAmberNewberry
Alisha T, Social Media Manager at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2012

We apologize if the room was not up to expectation. We take cleanliness very seriously and we take our guests' feedback very seriously. I've forwarded this information along to our Hotel Director. I hope you give our hotel another shot so we can show you the exceptional quality that we are known for.

Reviewed February 11, 2012

Spent a week there during a business trip. Great location...minutes from anywhere! Staff was very friendly and eager to get whatever I needed. The Falcon Bakery was a great place to start the day with a hot meal and the Pub & the Steakhouse was a fantastic way to wind down from a long, hard day at work. The valet guys were top notch. Will go back!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We live in Des Moines and frequent both Ameristar properties, Council Bluffs and Kansas City. We usually stay the weekend at Ameristar Kansas City at least once a month. My husband and I are both Ace players and enjoy gambling as our favorite leisure activity. We were very impressed with our last trip to Ameristar Kansas City. The hotel was very clean and our room was ready early. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. We ate in the buffet and Great Plains, both were very good. I do not like buffets in general, my husband does. However this one was not bad at all. We also ate and had drinks in the Star Club. The evening bartender was very fast, efficent, and friendly. She was also fun to talk too and made you feel very welcoming which is something a lot of the other casinos lack. We enjoy going to the Kansas City property because of the great customer service. The only complaint I have is Amerisports menu. It needs revamping and everything comes with waffle fries or bland cole slaw for some strange reason. Other than that we really enjoy our trips to Ameristar Kansas City. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank angieciowa
Reviewed December 14, 2011

I don't give many hotels a 5 star rating but I believe this one deserves one of my higher ratings. The room was large and clean with modern updated furniture. It had a king size bed with a flat sreen TV. There's a separate room (yes, a room) from the tub, shower and toilet with sink which is very convient for two people to get ready at the same time. No smell of smoke in our non-smoking room which is an enormous plus. The lobby is large and very well kept, plus the lobby and rooms are separated and isolated from the casino proper. Checkin and checkout went smoothly, no problems. No free breakfast but I understand with restaurants in the casino area, which I thought were a little high priced, but that's me coming from a small town. As far as the casino, I believe the slots are based on luck, if you win they're loose. and if you lose they're tight. We didn't win but we didn't lose alot either. They have a non-smoking section upstairs for those that don't wish to breath in the smoke which I didn't find all that strong. The slots are also spread out, not jammed together so you don't get that crowded feeling. Overall I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DSchmidtNekoosa_Wi
Reviewed December 2, 2011

If you're a fan of buffets, would say without reservation that Ameristar's rivals any of those in Las Vegas in terms of food items and quality. Whenever we travel to LV, I'm the one who always says proudly "Ours at home are so much BETTER!" There are several other restaurants at the property (steakhouse, sports bar, oyster bar), and while I've never had the chance to eat at any of them (too busy at the Buffet lol), several friends have given them excellent reviews also.

We took advantage of a reduced rate room last summer to beat the heat and were given a king mini-suite - very clean, spacious and a huge flat-screen television. Accidentally ordered a Pay Per View movie from the remote, believe the charge was close to $20, so if you have children keep an eye on that remote. Again, the room was very clean, nice marble-tile bathroom and very quiet, a great spot to get away.

I doubt there is much of a view from any of the rooms, ours overlooked a field leading to the muddy Missouri river, other directions would point to the parking lots and/or the interstate. To our disappointment, there was no swimming pool, spa or even workout facilities, for non-casino entertainment there's pretty much only a movie theatre and small amusement arcade -there is some sort of faciity that watches children while they play on indoor gym equipment for a fee but am not sure of the charge (am not sure it is inexpensive).

If you're in town and have a rental car, as an adult single or couple it would definitely be worth a side trip out to visit.

Room Tip: Book a King Room to get the larger room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 27, 2011

The hotel rooms at Ameristar are very nice. Lots of high end finishes, large flat screen tv's, upgraded linens and quite. The hotel tower is located away fromt he hustle bustle of the casino and entertainment but is accessible. There are lots of food options and of course the casino if you're interested. There is also a movie theater, arcade and food court if you have kids. The guest service is outstanding and the prices of the rooms are a good value. Ameristar is located close to Worlds of Fun but a 20 minute drive from down town KC or the Plaza.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. Get a players club card (free at the Players Club counter). If you do gamble...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HugoHobbs
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Hotel very nice, Casino staff has abuse of authority! I have been going to Ameristar for a long time, I don't go every week but let's say I am a good customer and I am law abiding, Drink seldom and may have a drink once a year in celebration.

Oct 1 2011 was my 50th birthday, My friends and family had a wonderful supprise dinner and my sister and girl friends after planned a night at the Casino.(Ameristar) They decorated me with a hat and beeds, you know the old lady's over the hill things a group of senior lady's having fun! Yes I did have A drink! They sold it to my friends whom bought it for me.

When my 22 year old daughter got off work she met us at the Casino, she at just getting there was told by a female security gate ID checker (she did not check the old lady's) that if she (my daughter) showed and signs of intoxication would be ask to leave, ok we did not think much about that statement might be what they tell every young person.

I love to play video poker Dueces wild and play at all machines and my freinds wanted to buy me a birthday drink, went to the bar in back thinking they might have a band and love that video poker, And 4 security guards followed us back to the bar and told us we were showing sign of intoxication and we would have to leave!

We were told we could stay at the hotel but we could not go into any resturants for food or drink we had to go to our rooms! Ok everyone was followed out by the security (they made us look like we did something wrong) I let the group go ahead of me because upon exiting gaming floor some little asian guy with suit jacket came upon us to explain the State Law in how they could profile us and that they had to make a judgement on that we were acting intoxicated! I wanted answers, I took mental notes while their 10.50 hr security guards stood with their arms folded like I was going to cause some kind of troulbe. Let me remind you I had more friends and family in the Casino from out of town that has no Idea four of our group was ask to leave because they took our Money for A drink and called us intoxicated.....:( He told me it only takes one person to make a comment that we maybe intoxicated to be ask to leave.

I find it very interesting that they have no training in profileing but I was there to have fun, which I have more fun naturally I don't even drink, and because I was looking over the hill and having fun with it makes them want us to leave, By the way the girls only had one drink also,!

So if you go to Ameristar and They come around and ask you if you want a drink DON"T DO IT!

We got a taxi which cost us more Money but it was worth it because I got to play at other Casinos which new we were not intoxicated!

If you are thinking Ameristar might be a good stock to purchase don't, They lost more money asking us to leave we could have made payroll for the hole security guard shift!

BAD INVESTMENT!!!!! Will never invest another dollar at Ameristar,

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank spaworker
Alisha_Templeton, Social Media Manager at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2011

Thanks for taking the time to speak with our Director of Security. It is our policy, and the policy of the Missouri Gaming Commission, to not allow any guests who appear to be intoxicated on our casino floor. We do have to ask guests to leave if they seem to be showing signs of intoxication. I’m sorry if your experience wasn’t what you had expected of the night. It is our goal to provide all guests with an entertaining experience. I understand that our Director of Security left you with his phone number. I invite you to let us know when you plan to return; we are happy to welcome you back and do what we can to see that you enjoy your visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
The Fontaine
The Fontaine
#3 of 111 in Kansas City
The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection

Been to Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City? Share your experiences!