“Buffet is Outstanding” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #43 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas City, Missouri
“Buffet is Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

If you're a fan of buffets, would say without reservation that Ameristar's rivals any of those in Las Vegas in terms of food items and quality. Whenever we travel to LV, I'm the one who always says proudly "Ours at home are so much BETTER!" There are several other restaurants at the property (steakhouse, sports bar, oyster bar), and while I've never had the chance to eat at any of them (too busy at the Buffet lol), several friends have given them excellent reviews also.

We took advantage of a reduced rate room last summer to beat the heat and were given a king mini-suite - very clean, spacious and a huge flat-screen television. Accidentally ordered a Pay Per View movie from the remote, believe the charge was close to $20, so if you have children keep an eye on that remote. Again, the room was very clean, nice marble-tile bathroom and very quiet, a great spot to get away.

I doubt there is much of a view from any of the rooms, ours overlooked a field leading to the muddy Missouri river, other directions would point to the parking lots and/or the interstate. To our disappointment, there was no swimming pool, spa or even workout facilities, for non-casino entertainment there's pretty much only a movie theatre and small amusement arcade -there is some sort of faciity that watches children while they play on indoor gym equipment for a fee but am not sure of the charge (am not sure it is inexpensive).

If you're in town and have a rental car, as an adult single or couple it would definitely be worth a side trip out to visit.

Room Tip: Book a King Room to get the larger room.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

The hotel rooms at Ameristar are very nice. Lots of high end finishes, large flat screen tv's, upgraded linens and quite. The hotel tower is located away fromt he hustle bustle of the casino and entertainment but is accessible. There are lots of food options and of course the casino if you're interested. There is also a movie theater, arcade and food court if you have kids. The guest service is outstanding and the prices of the rooms are a good value. Ameristar is located close to Worlds of Fun but a 20 minute drive from down town KC or the Plaza.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. Get a players club card (free at the Players Club counter). If you do gamble...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HugoHobbs
spaworker
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

Hotel very nice, Casino staff has abuse of authority! I have been going to Ameristar for a long time, I don't go every week but let's say I am a good customer and I am law abiding, Drink seldom and may have a drink once a year in celebration.

Oct 1 2011 was my 50th birthday, My friends and family had a wonderful supprise dinner and my sister and girl friends after planned a night at the Casino.(Ameristar) They decorated me with a hat and beeds, you know the old lady's over the hill things a group of senior lady's having fun! Yes I did have A drink! They sold it to my friends whom bought it for me.

When my 22 year old daughter got off work she met us at the Casino, she at just getting there was told by a female security gate ID checker (she did not check the old lady's) that if she (my daughter) showed and signs of intoxication would be ask to leave, ok we did not think much about that statement might be what they tell every young person.

I love to play video poker Dueces wild and play at all machines and my freinds wanted to buy me a birthday drink, went to the bar in back thinking they might have a band and love that video poker, And 4 security guards followed us back to the bar and told us we were showing sign of intoxication and we would have to leave!

We were told we could stay at the hotel but we could not go into any resturants for food or drink we had to go to our rooms! Ok everyone was followed out by the security (they made us look like we did something wrong) I let the group go ahead of me because upon exiting gaming floor some little asian guy with suit jacket came upon us to explain the State Law in how they could profile us and that they had to make a judgement on that we were acting intoxicated! I wanted answers, I took mental notes while their 10.50 hr security guards stood with their arms folded like I was going to cause some kind of troulbe. Let me remind you I had more friends and family in the Casino from out of town that has no Idea four of our group was ask to leave because they took our Money for A drink and called us intoxicated.....:( He told me it only takes one person to make a comment that we maybe intoxicated to be ask to leave.

I find it very interesting that they have no training in profileing but I was there to have fun, which I have more fun naturally I don't even drink, and because I was looking over the hill and having fun with it makes them want us to leave, By the way the girls only had one drink also,!

So if you go to Ameristar and They come around and ask you if you want a drink DON"T DO IT!

We got a taxi which cost us more Money but it was worth it because I got to play at other Casinos which new we were not intoxicated!

If you are thinking Ameristar might be a good stock to purchase don't, They lost more money asking us to leave we could have made payroll for the hole security guard shift!

BAD INVESTMENT!!!!! Will never invest another dollar at Ameristar,

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank spaworker
Alisha_Templeton, Social Media Manager at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to speak with our Director of Security. It is our policy, and the policy of the Missouri Gaming Commission, to not allow any guests who appear to be intoxicated on our casino floor. We do have to ask guests to leave if they seem to be showing signs of intoxication. I’m sorry if your experience wasn’t what you had expected of the night. It is our goal to provide all guests with an entertaining experience. I understand that our Director of Security left you with his phone number. I invite you to let us know when you plan to return; we are happy to welcome you back and do what we can to see that you enjoy your visit.
Bates City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

My husband and I go to Ameristar to gamble quite often but never spent the night. The hotel and room was beautiful. More than we expected. Very clean and kept up nicely.
Will be back again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
nixa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

we booked two nights one was our free night from a coupon in the mail the other was a discounted night we thought this was great we go there offin but after the first night we went some where and while we was gone they said we checked out and didnt have the room for two nights even though we had a copy of the reservetions now they say they don't know where our belongings are now what do we do about this ???

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank groomer115
Alisha_Templeton, Social Media Manager at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
We apologize for the inconvenience this situation may have caused you. Please know this was an isolated incident and we are glad we could resolve it to your satisfaction. We look forward to seeing you back at Ameristar.
wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed 1 night at the Ameristar Casino Hotel in Kansas City, Mo. We were greeted in a grand fashion when checking in. The room was gorgeous. Very clean and well kept. You would not want anything else. Food at the restaurants in the casino was also very good. The only glitch in our stay was that their wifi is very weak, or at least in the room we stayed in. And the casino took my money. Other than that, go and enjoy!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Centerton, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2011

Hotel in general is clean and updated. Not conveniently located for outside hotel entertainment, great if there for Casino only. Room is average hotel room, no issues with cleanliness. However, the room had an adjoining door and it sounded like the occupants were standing in our room talking. Bed was VERY FIRM so depends on if you like that type of mattress. WiFI was easy and fast. Room has coffeemaker, fridge and safe. Hotel is attached to movie theater which was added bonus when you get tired of slots. Restaurants are expensive but expected quality for hotel food. Awesome desserts on buffet.

Room Tip: Join members club for future deals and comp points
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
celeste_burks, Public Relations Manager at Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, responded to this review, May 28, 2011
Thank you for the nice compliments. I have passed along your review to our team. - Celeste Burks, Regional Public Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Hotel Phillips Kansas City, Curio Collection by Hilton
Hotel Sorella Country Club Plaza
The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection

Been to Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City? Share your experiences!