“Wonderful Experience”

Hampton Inn & Suites Kansas City Country Club Plaza
Ranked #6 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This is definitely the place to stay on the Country Club Plaza. The entire staff was cheerful, friendly and very helpful. Our room was extremely clean and we even had a sign on our bed stating all sheets and duvets were changed for our arrival. Great variety for their continental breakfast, something for everyone. Always greeted with a smile and how can we help you...Would not stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Great location just north of the Country Club Plaza. The Front Desk was extremely knowledgeable on area restaurants. Recommended Gram & Dun for dinner, excellent! Self-parking is easy and convenient below the hotel. No extra charge for parking, like other hotels in area. King Suite is superb.

1  Thank T2298OLandrewm
Reviewed April 24, 2014

If the room was better equipped to keep outside noise down, I'd give this hotel the highest rating possible. But since I felt like I could hear everything going on outside my room, even at average noise levels, I have to take my rating down a bit.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We had such a great time here. I've stayed in extremely nice hotels worldwide (fancy hotels are one of my only splurges in life), and this ranks with the best

We booked a suite because we have small children and needed the extra room and also an area where we could separate ourselves from them after they went to bed. The suite is totally worth it. The living room and kitchen are combined into one HUGE room. The living room has a TV, couch (ours folded out into a sleeper), and two upholstered chairs and ottomans. The kitchen was awesome and a nice little surprise--it is a real, functioning kitchen, with a dishwasher, range, fridge, etc--not just a fridge and sink. They also had dish soap, paper towels, etc., as well as dishes (nice ones, too) and silverware. Completely functional. We ate dinner one night in the kitchen, just for fun, and it felt like home.

The bedroom was also very large, bathroom was OK. There was no fan, which is a pet peeve of mine. The room seemed strangely noisey at night for being at the corner on the 9th (top) floor. The location is top-notch, seriously just around the corner from the Plaza, an extremely pleasant walk on a nice evening, even with two young children.

Check in was great; the staff was SO friendly and sweet. Breakfast was pretty good, although I wish there were more fresh fruit offered. We did use the pool and it was nice, although freezing, and made from a strange stainless steel material that made it extremely slippery. There is an outdoor patio area outside the pool that would have been fun if the weather was nicer. There is a manager's reception with free soda and snacks, but beer and wine were $3 a glass.

My biggest concern was the windows. We were on the 9th floor, and the windows opened enough for my 3 year old to have easily climbed out. This was extremely disturbing to me. There were locks on the windows (I thought flimsy ones), but he could have easily reached the lower lock, and none of the windows were locked when we got in there anyway. Why they would do this is absolutely beyond me, and I have to admit I had some anxiety about the whole thing when he was sleeping in the bedroom and we were in the other room watching TV. He is not one to get into mischief; he's a very sweet, respectful boy, but kids can be kids, and I was worried about what might happen if he wanted to explore. There should have been bars, or screens, or better yet, no opening, or an opening configured in a way to prevent kids from climbing out. This made an otherwise 5-star experience into a 4-star one.

Regardless, we would stay again, and didn't let it detract much from an otherwise fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: Spring for a suite! Totally worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was a lovely place to stay. The interior was very nicely done and I was impressed with the area available for breakfast. The food was tasty as well as having healthy choices available. The staff was helpful courteous and welcoming.

1  Thank Sheryl C
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The Hampton Inn was just like being away from home from the time you check in and get a nice warm cookie with a smile to when you walk into your super clean and relaxing room. This hotel is located by some of the best shopping and eating facilities and a super neighborhood. Highly recommend this hotel and will stay again at this hotel if I ever visit again in Kansas City.

1  Thank Teddy C
Reviewed April 17, 2014

The location of this hotel really makes it a worth while stop. I traveled for business, but was lucky enough to find time to explore the surrounding area before heading out.

First, The ROOM. Checked in later at night. Check-in was quick even though one of the front desk attendants was dealing with an upset guest- they tried not to let it impact me. They did give me all the info I needed for the morning and for my stay, which was nice. The room was clean and the bed Very comfortable! The duvet was just right for me (I like a weighted duvet). Best part- there was a note stating they clean the duvets for each guest! Very reassuring and it made me confident with snuggling up under it. Though the sticky note on the headboard with the message seemed a little out of place, I'm glad it was there! The in-room directory was hard to thumb through being in a plastic binder with no clear organization (tabs or something) to separate sections. The shower was huge and the bath amenities were pleasant. I Loved the brand of make-up remover wipes found in the room. Very soft and effective. The shampoo actually smelled nice (it was Neutrogena!). I didn't turn on the tv while I was there, so can't comment on that. There was a Huge mirror on the wall and I to my delight I found that is was actually a swinging door to the closet! Convenient for all my attire changes to attend various meetings and events that week.

Next, THE HOTEL: There was some shouting outside the first morning- Early... like ranting outside (I was above the front entrance on the 6th floor). Lasted for about 20 minutes, then did not occur again. There were a lot of sirens throughout my 3 night stay too, could hear those and a lot of the other guests- perhaps some sound proofing is needed? Taxi service was easy to get when needed. Valet parking was offered for those who had cars. The Breakfast was included and not your typical 'free breakfast'. They offered hot and fresh cold items. I was surprised by the cheese omelets and the amount of food items offered- very nice. The snack shop was convenient too. The pool area was ok, but I wouldn't recommend swimming. The water had a lot of things floating in it: a hair ball, dirt, debris. Didn't make use of the work-out room, but it looked nice.

Finally, THE AREA: The best part of the stay really was the final day when I was able to get out early in the morning and stroll about the Country Club Plaza area. The fountains are interesting, the architecture is cool, the shops and restaurants were all very charming. I loved the bistro that had a patio out over the busy street! Worth while to plan an extra day to simply explore the area, enjoy the unique fountains hidden all over and hit the shops. Just wish I had more time. I plan to take my family for a trip and even stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk for a map of the shops and nearby area- very helpful!
2  Thank Daisy H