“Excellent location & breath taking view of part of the city”

Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza
Ranked #38 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Peoria, Illinois
“Excellent location & breath taking view of part of the city”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

My husband & I drove to Kansas City due to the fact that he had an exam to take. We booked a last minute overnight trip at this hotel. Finding the entrance was a bit confusing but the staff was very welcoming. Our room had a wonderful view of the plaza from sunset to sunrise. However, we opted for a feather free room, our pillows were somewhat comfortable and it was very disappointing to sleep with a rough vellux blanket stuffed in a duvet cover. It was not what I expected for the bedding at a Marriott. Parking was a little expensive but I guess parking fees are charged everywhere in Kansas City. Now for the positive feedback,other than the minor bedding situation we had a pleasant stay. The room was very clean, it included a small refrigerator, and the view of the plaza from our room was spectacular. The hotel is conveniently located near the plaza. I loved that our room had hanging photographs of the plaza instead of random pictures. It was very welcoming and it made us want to explore the plaza instead of staying in our room. The hotel has a shuttle which is wonderful, I guess that compensates for parking fees. The plaza is walking distance for those who prefer walking. It features a vast variety of shops and wonderful restaurants. There is also a museum that offers free admission located behind the hotel's parking garage. Finally, the hotel has a wonderful exercise facility for those who cannot live with out their daily work out routine. It was a memorable short trip and we will most definitely come back to visit and stay here.

Room Tip: Request a room in the higher level facing the plaza area. The entrance is very tricky,there is also...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
izabellatoma, Guest Relations Manager at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Thank you so much for all the great comments! I was disappointed to hear the blanket that was feather free was not comfortable but this is something we can easily change. Most of our rooms have feather duvets but with a feather free request we also need to have a comprable standard.
We hope to have you back and thanks again for all of the great feedback from Illinois!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Ottawa, Kansas
Reviewed January 24, 2012

My wife and I recently visited Kansas City for a get-away weekend and decided that we wanted to stay on the Country Club Plaza. I have a preference for Marriot hotels as I have found them to be consistently good places to stay no matter what city or country. This Marriot is an excellent example of a "typical" Marriot. Our room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was immaculate, though the one in our room was a little bit smaller than I would have expected. One oddity for me was that the hair dryer is stored in a cloth bag in the closet rather than in the bathroom itself. One up side to staying at a Marriot is that you can request extra towels when reserving the room on line.
The hotel offers valet parking as well as self-parking. Either way, you are going to pay to park your car on site. One should not shy away from the hotel because of the parking charges. Literally anyplace where you want to park in this area has a fee attached. Driving your car onto the Plaza for dinner is going to cost you at least as much as the valet service at the hotel. The Marriot offers a free shuttle service both to and from the Plaza. Of course, if you prefer to walk, it is about a quarter mile to get from the front door to the shops in the Plaza. Those who have visited the Plaza before know that you will do quite a bit of walking if you want to visit all that the Plaza has to offer. We had about a ten minute wait to take the shuttle to the plaza. When we wished to return to the hotel, we called the service number and the shuttle was pulled up to the curb within five minutes of the call.
The thing that sets Marriot apart from other hotels is the level of service that you receive. After leaving our vehicle with the valet, my wife realized that she had left her coat in the car. A call down to the desk resulted in an associate arriving at our door (on the tenth floor) with my wife's coat in a matter of minutes. Had I parked myself, I would have had to go get that coat myself.
The lady at the front desk was very polite and efficient; in fact, everyone from the valet to the shuttle driver were extremely polite and accomodating.
My only real issue with the hotel is the fact that IF they have noisy guests out in the hallway, you are probably going to be able to hear it, so keep that in mind if you are planning to stay on weekends or around holidays etc.
The hotel has a bar and a restaurant, but with the Plaza night-life being so close, we had no reason to try the ammenities. A small refrigerator is available upon request for a charge as is internet access. I would prefer that Internet is complimentary in this day and age, but this is not the case.
I would conclude this review with a couple of comments. First, if you are staying here, you need to remember that everything in the area is "upscale" and thus has a little higher price tag on it than you might find in other parts of the greater Kansas City area. The second comment is that the Plaza is centrally located, so exploring Kansas City is rather convenient when using the Plaza as a start point.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Recently stayed there for a business meeting and it was perfect. The rooms were nice and spacious, the bar was more than adequate, parking was easy, free shuttle to local resteraunts and shopping and the staff members were great. I couldn't ask for anything else. Definitely recommend this hotel in KC.

• Stayed January 2012
izabellatoma, Owner at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback!

We are delighted that we met all your expectations during your stay. Our goal is to make every guest feel welcome and right at home.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Sales and Marketing
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Took the kids to stay where we could see the Plaza Lights. Even though this hotel is not right on the Plaza, they do have rooms that still provide a nice view of the lights. Staff was very nice and room was updated and very functional. Overall a very nice stay. One word of warning, the pool is really a lap pool, not the best for small children.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Plaza View.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mauimeplease
Thank you for your review!

It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, we appreciate the positive feedback.

We hope to have you as our guest again in the near future!

Sales and Marketing
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I arrived at the hotel from a funeral, unfortunately the same weekend as New Year's Eve. When I checked in, the desk clerk asked if I was self parking or valet parking. I said I would park myself and he instructed me how to enter the garage. The arm gate was raised with no attendant, so I parked, Upon leaving the hotel, I saw on my bill $14 a day for parking. When I asked the desk clerk about this saying that is was implied that it was a guest amenity, he said prices were clearly marked on all the garage entrances. I stayed on the 5th floor which upon leaving the elevator smells like feces or an open sewer. Having read older reviews of this hotel, there are several others who make the same claim. My room had a picture missing, with anchor hooks exposed, the desk chair was broken, mirror frame chipped, and when I took a shower, I stood in three inches of my own bath water. The windows were screwed shut, so escaping the poo smell from the hall I had to play the A/C - Heater game to try and push fresh temperate air into my room. Lastly, a group of white trash drunks, I'd say about 8 of them in about three rooms on our floor came home late on New Year's Eve yelling and fighting at the top of their lungs. Several other guests poked out of their rooms asking them to be quiet. Finally I called the front desk and told them to do something, or I'd call the police. It took 45 minutes for a security guard to finally arrive and tell them to quiet down. All in all, these crooks are in the money making business, not the hospitality business. NOT a three star hotel, not worth the money.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Mark W
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 2, 2012

My brother and I chose this hotel for an overnight stay after late flights into Kansas City to shop the Plaza the next day. After a flight delay, we called to confirm we had double beds since we were arriving even later than originally anticipated and it took an inordinate amount of time to confirm this. Upon arrival, it was obvious that this hotel was not as close to the Plaza shopping as we had hoped-actually the Courtyard Marriott is closer. We were told the main hotel restaurant was closed, but this had never been mentioned in our confirmations. Our check-in process was fine, but took a long time for a one-night pre-booked stay. The room was adequate, but the hotel generally felt tired. The bathroom was small and quite dated. Housekeeping had apparently missed candy left on the floor by prior guests. Beds were fine and apppeared clean. We had breakfast in the one available restaurant and it was adequate, but service again was oddly slow given that there were about 6 tables occupied at the time. Overall, this hotel was OK, but if I had to choose over again, I would spend a little more and stay closer to the Plaza in a more updated hotel. Also, the parking garage at this hotel is not really made for the large SUVs and trucks many have today so navigating it was a bit challenging.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
izabellatoma, Owner at Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Marriott Country Club Plaza and offering your feedback!

We are sorry to hear that you were not entirely happy with your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to point out the things that made your experience less than perfect. Your feedback helps us improve.

We hope you will return to our hotel in the future and give us the opportunity to make a better impression on you.

Sales and Marketing Office
Omaha
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Spent new years eve at this location. The good was the staff. Very attentive and helpful. They even had a free shuttle to the plaza. The room was very clean and nice. King bed with lots of pillows. The only bad part is the $14 they charge to park and probably because of it being new years eve, it was hard to find a parking spot.

Room Tip: It is a long walk back to the Marriott after walking around the plaza.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sirk14
Thank you for your feedback!

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate the positive comments.

We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future!

Sales and Marketing Office