“great food, great cocktails, great music and great setting”
Review of R Bar - CLOSED

R Bar
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Kansas City, Missouri
“great food, great cocktails, great music and great setting”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I really enjoyed my visit to R Bar in the west bottoms. It's a hip spot - part old timey saloon, part fine dining establishment, part live music venue - all perfectly balanced into one. The food was really good and they were very gracious when dealing with my friend's gluten-free modification requests. We had a fantastic dinner, drank a nice bottle of wine and enjoyed a great bluegrass band. We will be returning.

Visited January 2012

Prairie Village, KS
“An isolated incident perhaps? We won't be going back to find out.”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

The R Bar has been on my radar ever since stumbling across their website a few months ago. It looked interesting and the West Bottoms seemed like a welcome change of pace from the other well-worn areas we frequent in Kansas City.

In an attempt to be objective, I'll try to ignore the fact that we went for their advertised costume party and hardly anyone else was dressed up for Halloween. Regardless, we had a reservation for six, and our intent was to eat, drink, and be merry. Unfortunately, our waitress was one of the worst ever in the history of mankind. It's hard to upset me with poor service, but wow, she was unbelievable! Not necessarily rude, but completely ignorant and devoid of any concern for our table whatsoever. Imagine 6 people, obviously ready and willing to ring up a hell of a tab for the evening, and she acts like we are a nuisance. Drink service was miserably slow, and twice the wrong drinks were brought to our table. We endured a lot of sitting, waiting, getting the wrong drink, more waiting, etc. I went to the bar (which wasn't that busy) and started ordering drinks directly. I still don't think she caught the hint. Our last round of drinks never even came, but secretly we were happy because we were very much ready to leave. The one bright spot and only redeeming component of the evening: the FOOD! It was excellent. I can only speak of the short ribs, but everyone else liked what they got too. Of course, going back to the crappy service issue, one friend ordered scallops only to be told 15 minutes later they were out. OK, how about the ravioli dish then? Again, believe it or not, they are all out! He passed on an entree completely since it was talking so long.

Good ambiance, good food, but a waitress who should be fired ruined the evening. Grrrr!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Gruntlumber
Kansas City, MO
“Amazing food in a unique atmosphere”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We had a groupon and needed to use it as it expired that day. I think it was a Tuesday and I thought it would be easy to get a table, not so! But we were able to sit at the bar and I'm actually glad we did. The bartender was great, the wine was excellent and the food was some of the best I've had in Kansas City. My husband had the Campo Lindo chicken and I had the sea scallops. They had one of our favorite Rieslings, the Leitz Dragon Stone, and the meal was cooked and seasoned perfectly. It really was divine. The place is full of atmosphere and energy and we were pleasantly surprised, will definitely go back with or without a groupon!

• Visited August 2011
Jefferson City, Missouri
“Nice presentation”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Food was interesting, maybe a little too interesting. It was just ok. There were many things on the menu that had unusual pairings or flavors. Very nice atmosphere but it was loud as a band was playing. The drink menu was great! The menu changes often so there is a good variety.

• Visited August 2011
Lansing, Kansas
“Just Awesome”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We have been to the R Bar twice now and have been very pleased. The old fashioned drinks are the best, as is the atmosphere. On both visits there were live musicians each of which was unique and fantastic. On another note, the food is amazing. The menu rotates with each season encouraging guests to try new items, which is perfect for those who get stuck in a food rut. I guarantee you will not be disappointed with anything you try. From start to finish, the food is well worth the trip to the West Bottoms. A great place to hang out with friends in the evening for a drink and appetizers or a full meal. The location may seem a bit strange, but you will not be disappointed.

• Visited July 2011