“Eh...”

and up
Kansas City Hop on-Hop off Day Pass
Ranked #2 of 33 Shopping in Kansas City
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We came from out of town to celebrate a bachelorette party at P&L. Unfortunately, the experience as a whole was underwhelming. The people working the doors were rude. Just a heads up, bring a credit card with you after 11pm, because the entrance fee is $10/person and they don't accept cash in order to "keep the undesirable elements out". I completely forgot that KC has no smoking prohibition, so we were sickened by cigarette smoke. We were told that Mosaic was the place to go, but that line was at least 100 people long. After waiting, we headed to the Shark Bar. Another so-so establishment. Not to mention, people do not know the word "excuse me", we were constantly bumped into. The whole vibe was not very positive.

The redeeming aspect of the night was the amazing cover band. I can't remember their name, but they played the evening of July 20th. Seriously, I've never seen a cover band handle so many genres so effortlessly. We definitely should have been in front of their stage the whole night. Plus the people listening were way more awesome than the other rude folks milling about.

Overall, Power & Lights has potential to be awesome. But the current clientele and attitude is rude and off-putting. We did not feel welcome. I wouldn't go there again.

Oh, and demographically, for perspective, our group was a collection of African American, mid to late-20's, professional females.

2  Thank NE_IA_Roadwarrior
in 7 reviews
"midwest"
"game"

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Coming from Europe, you must understand that at the beginning I was rather surprised at how small the bars / nightclubs were, especially since KC is a lot bigger than my hometown. However, this was actually a good thing for them, because the service you received was sometimes more personal than you'd expect. The bartenders were actually really friendly and sometimes did more than they were supposed to. The music was great as well, offering a variety of genres. Overall, I'd say it was a nice experience. I'd gladly return. A must see for all European travelers!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This place is pretty small for a "district" (it seems to be made from an abandoned warehouse). It is a great place to go if you're looking for nightlife--during the day it seemed to be as dead as a doornail.

We were originally disappointed that all the bars and clubs in the spot charged a cover (this was after 10 on a Friday night--I'm not sure if the same is true on weekdays or if you arrive earlier). So we skipped those in favor of drinks from the open-air bars and the free entertainment on the outdoor stage.

There was a live band playing when we arrived, but they packed up shortly after and were replaced by a DJ. There wasn't too big of a crowd on the dance floor--just enough people to have some fun.

1  Thank Valerie H
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Ok, my first visit to Power and Light, thought it would be bigger. To me something called a district is bigger than half a block long, even if it does encompass 2 to 3 stories of height. We went there to eat around 6pm on a Saturday and it was dead, when we left about an hour and a half later there were a few people in the outside area but not many. I imagine that later in the night it was much more busy as I have heard that at least at times it is completely packed, but to me really that wouldn't take that many people.