“Beautiful place”
Review of Union Station

Union Station
Ranked #6 of 163 things to do in Kansas City
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Nice building in the heart of the city, just a few steps from WWI National Museum. There are some restaurants and museums. In that time it was happening a Pirates exhibition.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,968)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We went to science city and there was so much to do. It is great for kids and adults! Gift shop is a little expensive but everything was really nice.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

A few restaurants on the first level, a large waiting hall too (it reminded someone of Grand Central? How?). And if they had any exhibits, you took your wallet out, again. Not worth it. You pay to park (no shock), but I blew the guy off thinking he was a beggar, no really. I had to make up my mind right then if I wanted to pay for less than an hour, 1-3 hrs, or day. I picked an hour and went in to see what I would miss if I didn't come back. I wouldn't have missed too much, I think. Science Center may be great for small kids though.
It's like a mall, but you pay to get into every store? Tiring

3  Thank mike h
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I hadn't been to US for probably 12 or more years. But I was sadly disappointed this visit. Firstly, the "guest" parking is a joke. There's more permit parking for area workers and the post office than spaces for visitors. And the front parking lot you have to pay at least $2 to park for short term (more if you're there more than an hour or so).

By one entrance is a plaque commemorating (?) the Kansas City Massacre but that's IT regarding this significant piece of FBI/Mob history. This should be expanded into a permanent display of period dress, papers etc that represent the participants (e.g., "Pretty Boy Floyd" the plaque says) and the victims (unarmed FBI agents. they weren't armed in those days) of the massacre

Any kind of real train equipment is clear down and out back along the tracks. 2 passenger cars and an engine all scattered round and locked up so you can only see the outside of them. Nothing of the interiors. And there's not even so much as a plaque on any of them giving their history, significance or why they're even on display back there.

Inside the Station is ok if you like old architecture (and I do) but once you've seen the great emptiness of the place that isn't worth $2 I paid to park. There's a model train or 2 on display and the science museum for kids and once in a while a traveling exhibit. But again, no real train history or anything other than old pics of Kansas City hanging in a few halls.

If you're already at Crown Center to eat/shop etc maybe wander over to the Station. But until they put more worthwhile stuff in there, I wouldn't make a special trip and pay to park just to see it.

1  Thank hatlad
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We only went for a quick walk around (it's close to the Feb museum, war memorial and the crown centre). It's a big beautiful building with a science centre and planetarium on the premise. Wish we had more time to explore.

Been to Union Station? Share your experiences!