“Great food, Great wine list” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen

Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #101 of 1,400 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 16th & Walnut
Description: Tannin Wine Bar & Kitchen is your local, urban destination located in the Crossroads Art District. Enjoy a glass of wine from the eclectic wine list. Whether a novice wanting to explore or an avid wine drinker, we offer wines by the taste, glass or bottle, to satisfy everyone’s palate. Don’t forget to savor the seasonal, contemporary American cuisine prepared by Executive Chef, Brian Aaron. We look forward to seeing you soon. Cheers!
Kansas
“Great food, Great wine list”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is one of our favorite restaurants to visit before a concert at Sprint Center. The food is always delicious and the presentation makes it even more appetizing. We love the wine list and the red wines are always served at the perfect temperature which is not common at many restaurants. We were there one night when the special was buy one bottle of wine, get one free. They let us take the 2nd bottle with us as there was no way we could finish 2 bottles.
The service has always been top notch.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank ksav8r

London, United Kingdom
“Great Food - away from P&L chaos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Needed to eat before a show and found all the restaurants around the Sprint uninspiring and full.! Walked a couple of blocks and found this gem. Great burgers.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank TravellingJourno
“Happy Hour is a must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Good wine selection at reasonable prices. The starter menu is varied and unique. Try the pig cheeks in blueberry sauce. Great place to sit and relax and catch up with friends.

1 Thank larskee
Kansas City, Missouri
“Another great KCMO restaurant surprise!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Warmly greeted. Atmosphere is friendly, informal, and with a variety of seating options from multiple comfy seats around a table to a bar to booths to high top table with bar stools and standard tables/chairs as well. There is also a nice room in the rear for private parties that can service up to 18 (so we are told).

Service was outstanding! Our server was very friendly, professional, and along with his colleagues provided a great service experience. My wife had chicken livers (she loved them) and I had Chili Glazed Thai shrimp which was excellent. Duck confit was my wife's main and it was scrumptious. My main was sesame uncrusted Ahi tuna. The quality of the tuna was very high and the dish was prepared exceptionally well. The tempura asparagus was excellent as well. The Wasabi mashed potatoes were good (not a big starch fan however). Desert was a peanut butter stuffed cookie which smelled wonderful and tasted awesome (especially with a cup of freshly brewed coffee).

While we did not order wine for this meal the wine list is quite complete and the restaurant hosts several levels of 'wine clubs'. All in all this was great experience. Highly recommended.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank WillMyWifeGetSick
Kansas City
“Perfect Portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We went here during K C Restaurant Week before attending a mid-week event at the Kauffman Center for Performing Arts. We did not make a reservation since we were having an early (5:45) dinner, and we were greeted and seated immediately. The service was attentive without being cloying. Decor is warm and the high-backed booths offer privacy if desired. Though we personally prefer quieter dining, it was not overly loud probably because it was a Tuesday night and the place was not packed.

For those unfamiliar, during Restaurant Week, local participating establishments provide a set meat for a set price. Our meal consisted of an appetizer, entree and dessert for $30/person.

I had a luscious appetizer of goat cheese, mushroom and brisket ravioli in a green peppercorn sauce. The meat was melt in your mouth tender, and the two ravioli was the perfect portion size. I would have preferred just a tiny bit less salt in the dish. My husband had blini,a smoked salmon and caviar dish which he enjoyed.

My husband chose a duck confit for his main course and asked for wine recommendation from our server. The excellent wine started with just a hint of sweetness that dissipated into a clean, smooth finish. The duck was served over white beans which my husband liked. I did not taste his dish, but he picked up the duck to get all the meat from the bones, so that's a good indication of its tastiness.

They have an extensive list of wines available by the glass. One tiny flaw, the wine pour was just a bit short, not quite half-filling the glass, so I was happy to get a taste of it, not having ordered a glass for myself.

My main course was an exquisitely tender waygu beef brisket with button mushrooms served over fingerling potatoes with baby carrots and green beans. One less sprinkle of salt would have made it absolutely divine, but it was satisfying and definitely a fine example of upscale comfort food!

My husband opted for a Grand Marnier infused slice of pound cake for dessert and I opted for a molten chocolate cake. Both offerings were just right, not too much, but satisfying. My cake for example was mini-muffin sized, had all the hallmarks of a great cake...crisp outside, increasingly tender inside ending with a gooey, deeply chocolate center. It was served with a few lovely berries and a drizzle of caramel. We did not like the large round soup spoon which came for the dessert course. Just silly and off-putting.

Neither one of us liked the regular coffee we ordered to go with our dessert. Served in an over-sized cup, it was perfectly fresh and hot, and brewed just the right strength. However we both found it too acidic and with a rough and too bitter finish. My husband drinks his black, but I added an entire large shot of cream and two packets of raw sugar to mine. It was still bitter so I added a third packet of sugar, which didn't help at all. We drink the Roasterie's 40 Sardines coffee at home. This is a local coffee roaster who does custom blends for local restaurants as well as sell to the consumer via mail order and in our local grocery stores. 40 Sardines is a now-defunct local restaurant, but the name lives on in the popular blend created for them. Because we hadn't allowed ourselves quite enough time for dinner, we didn't have time to ask about the source of their coffee, but after such a fabulous meal it was unfortunate that it ended with what was to my taste, undrinkable coffee. If it is Roasterie coffee I'd be surprised.

We applaud the portion sizes here. Perfect. If the coffee had been as good as the rest of the meal, this would have been a 5 star experience.

• Visited January 2013