“Distracted service”

Drunken Fish - Power & Light District
Reserve with OpenTable
Drunken Fish - Power & Light District is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #141 of 1,438 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: More than just a restaurant, Drunken Fish has quickly become one of Kansas City's favorite places to see and be seen. Thoughtfully designed, Drunken Fish boasts a trendy and sophisticated decor, including a one-of-a-kind rooftop patio with a full bar, fire pits, and gorgeous lounge furniture. Where it was founded, Drunken Fish was voted Best Sushi in St. Louis. The selection of sensational sushi and Japanese cuisine will satisfy every appetite, while their drink menu boasts a list of unique cocktails. With incredible ambiance and exceptional service, Drunken Fish is the ultimate Kansas City hotspot. For groups from two to two hundred, Drunken Fish offers an experience you and your guests will not soon forget. In addition to table and booth seating, each location offers private dining areas ideal for after-work outings or an evening on the town.
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival we were greeted and sat immediately. We had to ask for the table to be wiped down, which had a sticky substance all over it from the previous people. We weren't asked how we were doing, no greeting with servers name and we had to ask for drink and food menus, which also had sticky crap all over them. What really irritated me was that the guy waiting on us actually watched me pour water from my glass into my napkin to wipe the menus off without offering to do it for me. We had to flag him down to order drinks then again to ask about menu items, all the while he was socializing with others at the bar and his co workers. He seemed put out by the fact that he had to actually serve someone. The drinks were good, food was good but the service was terrible. I will not be back and will take my business to Nara down the road. Should have went there in the first place. Thanks for nothing, Matt. Sorry we interrupted your socializing time.

1  Thank RachieD84

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I have been in the restaurant business for over 20 years doing every kind of job from dishwasher to GM. I know how things are supposed to work, and I know when there is a deficit between what should be happening and what IS happening in a restaurant. And what IS happening at Drunken Fish is that they seem to not be hiring skilled servers. I get that places want to employ attractive people. But at least hire some with brains!
Our entire experience with the front of the house staff was... pathetic. The hostess was clueless, the server was clueless and the manager was even clueless. The server forgot our appetizers, forgot my friends drink TWICE, then blamed the kitchen! Dude. I get that people get busy and sometimes forget, but don't. LIE to me about it! Maybe the fact that she was standing talking at another table for 15 minutes had something to do with it? I timed it! I assume it was a friend because our server stood and blabbed and ignored us forEVER! She neglected to bring side plates. Forgot drinks, brought apps after entrees... She did not know what Toro was.... Disaster.
Then the manager made a table visit and proceeded to be just as useless. Even after we let him know our server never brought our drinks, he said he would bring them, but never did! Really? Really?
The best FOH staff member was the busser who was on it!
The food at DF is very good. The prices are kind of high, but they gotta pay for that expensive building, so I get it.
We had a few different sushi rolls and (eventually) some appetizers. Everything was damn good!
I will go back because the food is good, but I will NOT be sitting at a table in the dining room. I will sit at the sushi bar where I know I will be taken care of.
If I can offer some advice to DF, it is to clean house. I know you all want cute girls and handsome guys representing your place, but come on. At least hire some who do not have a vacancy between their ears.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

So I went in and asked to order takeout sushi. I was directed to place my order at the bar. I sat, and waited and waited, answered emails, was ready to leave, and finally the MIA bartender showed up. I knew when he did not write my order that the odds of actually getting what I wanted were decreasing by the minute.
Stupid me, should have checked the bag, as I got back to my hotel and half my dinner order was missing. Wasn't even on the receipt. Dumb.
What I did get was fine. Not great, but not bad. But not good enough to make me want to walk back there in the cold to complain and order more.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

The quality of the sushi/options is what makes my review low. All the food was adequately prepared, but for the price you would think either you receive a large portion or the best sushi made in the midwest. Neither is the case. Small portions.. lack luster presentation... grocery store is the best way to describe what you get. The ambience is great for a late night drink on the rooftop... not worth the food especially with all the other excellent options.

Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

The Drunken fish had wonderful sushi. The seafood fried rice was the best I've ever had. Great service, waitress was very attentive and manager checked on us several times.