“My favorite restaurant in KC!”
Review of Julian

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 62nd Terrace
Transit: MAX
Reviewed March 27, 2012

To get a real flavor for an authentic KC old/established and now new/hip/happening neighborhood - come to the Brookside area of KC. No box stores or chain restaurants. AND don't miss Julian's for lunch or dinner! Chef/Owner Celina Tio has competed on national food network shows e.g. The Next Iron Chef. But, what's most important is her great, low key neighborhood location and fabulous food. I call it chic comfort food -- my husband calls it fantastic! Great for dinner with friends, romance, business - all work well and this comfortable great place!

There are newer reviews for Julian

Reviewed January 20, 2012

Enjoyed a early dinner before a show at Kaufmann center.. Started with the mussels which my friend and I shared, She had the scallops which she said were very good. I had the sauteed beef, gorgonzola polenta, with agro dolce mushrooms, ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! Will definetly return, chef came by table to check on how dinner was. Server was attentive to all of our needs including our wine choices and dessert..

1  Thank maggie1919
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Loved it, had the short rib "pot roast" was for a lack of better words outstanding. Could of used a slight more gravy, was fighting the last couple pieces for gravy coverage. Never have to much gravy. Ended the night with the Apple panna cotta. Was a good night, serving size is perfect. Will return without a doubt.
Only draw back is the restaurant is small, so reservations are a must.

1  Thank wick1979
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I went here on a Saturday night with my sister. Make a reservation--its small and gets full!
The food was amazing--try the lamb ribs! They also serve food that isn't on the menu--you can get bread if you ask for it or any veggie side dish that you want. Chef Tio the owner is very personable and if you don't know what to order she can make a good recommendation. My only complaint is that the servers wear jeans, but that's just personal taste. I will definitely be back next time I'm in Kansas!

1  Thank ebone28
Reviewed November 6, 2011

This was our second time at Julian. We first visited in July while at a conference. Chef Tio called my husband to let us know that Sunday night was "Chef's Choice" and wanted us to know before we got to the restaurant. My husband told her that I was a big fan and she met us at the door when we got there and even knew my name! The food was amazing and even better than I hoped for!

Tonight we visited again, this time for our ninth anniversay. Once again on a Sunday night and Chef's Choice. This time Chef Tio was out of town, but my husband called ahead and they gave me a tour of the kitchen etc. Ok so not a really big deal, but since I am such a fan and an aspiring chef, it was a treat for me. Our sevice was impeccable. Our first course was a cauliflower and mushroo soup. If I could have licked the bowl, I would have done so. The second course was a mustard and radish green salad with a chipotle vinaigrette. It was a little dry and bitter, but we asked for some extra vinaigrette which they promptly brought out and it was a perfect blalnce to the bittere greens. The braised short ribs were awesome, not at all dry as mentioned in one of the other reviews. After braising them, they sear them before serving and the crust on the meat was very flavorful. The accompanying roasted,potatoes and braised cabbage were also great. The Syrah that was recommended was a peerfect pairing to the meal. The desert was a red bean brownie with a topping of creme fraiche. A very rich ending to a wonderful meal. Julian is one of my favorite places, though not a place I can visit very often sonce we live 4 hours away, but we will be back again!

1  Thank Martha G