“Good to have a dragon in the hood!”

North Dragon Chinese
Ranked #614 of 1,417 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Chinese
Kansas City, Missouri
“Good to have a dragon in the hood!”
Reviewed June 22, 2010

When I walked into North Dragon it reminded me of the first Chinese restaurant I can remember going to. That was back in the 80's, but this place seems like it may not have been refinished since those days. But that didn't bother me when I dined there the other night.

The menu is mostly Chinese-American food (lo-mein, moo goo gai pan, sweet and sour pork, and about two dozen variations of the previous). For me, the best test of any fine Psuedo Chinese restaurant is their General Tso's Chicken ($7.99). So I ordered that, my fiance had beef lo-mein($6.95). We also had crab rangoon ($3.50). The crab rangoon were crispy and fresh, albeit no real crab, wasn't expecting any though. The lo-mein, also huge portion, was quite good, and real lo-mein noodles, not spaghetti noodles like some establishments use. My chicken came out and the portion was generous especially for $8, came with a side of steamed rice and a pretty carved turnip rose (try getting that at Panda Express). Like I mentioned the chicken pieces were huge and yes mostly dark meat as mentioned by a review on another site. But dark meat is better tasting anyway, it's just science. I won't get into it here but you can read up on it, here's one other person's opinion (http://www.illinoistim...). The sauce was a little more syrupy than I like but the chicken had a little bit of crunch and was otherwise really tasty. Anyway, yes this place appears to have been around a while but that doesn't mean it isn't any good. After our meal the waiter even brought out a little (one scoop) complimentary bowl of strawberry ice cream, it was a nice gesture.

I will definably go back to North Dragon, it was a nice little neighborhood spot and for the price it was definitely worth it. Note: As far as I could see there was no buffet, so if you need a buffet you might have to go down the street to China One, although it is not nearly as good, in my opinion.