“Great little casino and food mall.”

Ameristar Casino Kansas City
Ranked #52 of 159 things to do in Kansas City
Reviewed May 10, 2013

All the usual attractions of a casino. Very clean and friendly. Inside the little mall surrounding it there are several nice restaurants a buffet and a pizza and sandwich shop as well as a movie theatre!!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have been going to Ameristar for several years now, ever since Sam's Town closed, which was my favorite. There is plenty to do and I believe I have probably broken even over the years. It all depends on your game and what you play. I see people complaining about being big losers here, but they need to know when to quit then. The odds are always in favor of the house and if you don't know that, then it's your own fault. I entertain a number of customers from out of town and have always heard positive comments about Ameristar. Last summer I had guests in from St. Louis. We went to Ameristar and they stated that they had nothing like it back home. I think it's the nicest casino in town and maybe all of Missouri.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I went there with the purpose of having lunch. I can't talk about the hotel or even the casino because we didn't have much free time to spend there. The restaurant is perfect! A huge variety of food, displayed in sections according to the kind of food. The desserts are the best! If you are on a diet, don't go there!
We could take great photos there with the scenery!

1  Thank marciafarias
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I’ve played the slot machines at this casino a couple times a week for 8 years. Of the nearly 900 trips to the casino, I’ve only won 5 times. That is less than 1 percent of the time or 0.45%. Or you can figure the 80,000 us dollars I’ve played and won back about 4000 and come up with a player’s hold of about 5 percent. That is what you can expect here. They advertise 91% payback but that’s not a valid number. I played 10 different 2 credit quarter machines, 10 dollars in each machine, 200 spins produced 0 credits. Not one single cherry landed on a pay line during a busy Friday night. That is 0% for me that night and it only took about 20 minutes. There is no entertainment value here. So if you play here you can figure losing about 100 bucks per half hour. Their machines never pay. They are allowed too much control of the machine payout, after all it is a corporate business and they are in it to make a profit. I just keep playing hoping one day they might give me 10% of my 80 grand back but it never happens, 95 percent of the time the machines won’t even let you play so it’s really hard to rack up any points which are of very little value. If you do come here, good luck.
If you drive here mind the speed limit in Randolph because you can bet they will be watching for you.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

My best friend and I stayed two nights in the hotel at this casino from March 22 to 24, 2013. I did a good hotel review but the casino was not good. We're not big gamblers but we do tend to find a penny machine and bet around $1.50 a turn and spend several hours playing and talking and having a few drinks.

We first joined the player's club. I have a player's card for the Ameristar in Black Hawk, CO but it doesn't transfer over to other Ameristars. With cards in hand we started looking for something to play. It was Friday night and everyone in Kansas City seemed to be there. We couldn't find a machine to play that we liked. There were WAY TOO MANY of those penny slots that have overflowing coins on the screen when you win 20 cents. We don't enjoy those games at all but it seemed half the casino was like that. We bounced around from machine to machine for a while always losing. We never settled into games that we really liked and by the end of the first night, we were disappointed.

The biggest disappointment is you have to pay for drinks! We ordered two rum and cokes with a lime and she comes back and says, $6.50. What? Seriously? She says it's state law. OK. So you have to charge for drinks...you can't charge a $1? You charge me full price like I'm not putting money into a slot machine that I'll eventually lose? Bad bad form. That alone will keep me from ever gambling in that casino again.

Second day same thing. Wandering around looking for a fun machine to play. The casino was less full because of a snow storm in the area. We played an Alice in Wonderland game that was fun then finally settled in on the Ghostbusters game for a few hours. That was at least fun even though we lost. And still we were paying for drinks. Then at 2:30 AM a cocktail waitress, the first we'd seen all night, comes by and says she has to take our glasses because they can't have glassware on the floor after last call. So not only did I have to go to the bar all night because a cocktail waitress NEVER came by but now I'm savoring my last drink but now you want to take it away because it's glass? Again, another reason I'll never gamble there again.

The casino is flanked by a movie theater, kids club, several restaurants, and a fountain. It's a nice place. The Burger King is the only 24 hour food place in the casino/hotel. They do have a kids's club that's got lots of activities if you wanted to come with the kids. Most of the casino is smoking. They have a very small non smoking section on the second floor. There are bathrooms close by just about everywhere. Self serve soda stations and coffee stations.

The hotel is very nice and we enjoyed staying there but I won't gamble in this casino again.

6  Thank MileHighGirl