Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City Sports Complex
Ranked #53 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Clinton, Iowa
“Family visit”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We recently visited my son and wife in the KC area and my son suggested this place because of the close proximity to his house. Check-in went smooth the front desk staff were very friendly accommodating. When looking for our room we found the room number missing but soon figured out which one it was. We were on the third floor and near the elevator, which was convenient. We also found the third floor to be very quiet. We had a king suite which had very comfortable furniture, and a super comfortable king bed, soft sheets and 4 pillows. The carpeting was dated and looked like it needed to be cleaned. The wet bar was a nice feature. The ice machine on the third floor was broken, but the other two worked, which was just a short elevator ride. We were spending three nights, so it was nice to have room to spread out and have visitors. Breakfast was better than most, there were two girls that did keep the food stocked even until the ending time, but they were both not friendly and were a bit rude at times. Housekeeping staff were all friendly. Overall we enjoyed our stay here and probably would come back again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City Sports Complex, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Pat B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment. Once again thank you for the wonderful and kind words of praise.

Krysllin G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed at this hotel August 09, 2013. Overall experience was ok I guess. The room was pretty clean which was nice. I will say that my biggest complaint was that the morning breakfast staff which could not possibly have been ruder. These two girls sense of urgency in keeping food out was nowhere to be found. Muffin tray empty the entire time I was in the dining area. And hot food was out the majority of the time as well. Unclear what needed to happen to get these two people to move with a little sense of urgency. It was interesting to hear how they would respond to morning diners when they were asked for something. They moved and treated people in the dining area with nothing but contempt. It’s pretty obvious that they really hate their job. I’d say that that experience alone would probably keep me from staying in this hotel all by itself. The only reason I picked this place was because it was close to the stadium.

Room Tip: If you want a decent breakfast then I would suggest going out or staying at another hotel. Breakfast...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City Sports Complex, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Garry A,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We are very sorry you were not so pleased with your recent stay at our hotel and offer our sincere apologies for the poor service you experienced in the breakfast area, which are certainly not up to our usual standards. Kindly be assured that your comments will be used to monitor and improve the quality of product and service we offer our guests.

Again, many thanks for the feedback and our apologies for the shortfalls.

Connie D

Travelers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Let me start with the fact the hotel was accommodating since our priority club reservation had the incorrect date. Priority club called the hotel confirmed reservations for the correct date. The front desk recognized us as pc members that had the reservations for the incorrect date. The hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly. Overall we enjoyed our stay based on the staff friendliness. That made all the difference. We recommend this hotel for its courteous staff and cleanliness.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Pamela H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City Sports Complex, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. And we highly appreciate the kind words that you have for our staffs. I’ll make sure to let them know your comment as we always strive for the best customer experience. Thank you for recommending out hotel. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Saint Robert, Missouri
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I was sorely disappointed with my stay at this hotel. I chose it for the location, being one of the closest to Kaufman Stadium. The front desk staff was friendly but did not explain any of the amenities (breakfast times, wifi, etc). When I asked about transport to the Stadium, I received a number for a shuttle service that was utterly useless. I saw a van and driver in the lobby area that I knew went to the Stadium, but that service was not offered to me. As far as I could tell, it was not offered to anyone, as the driver just sat there. The cost of a cab to the Stadium is approximately $15 one way, and the location of the hotel is such that you will need to call an hour in advance to get one.
The room was average. It showed a bit of wear that was surprising compared to the new looking facade on the building. The walls were pretty thin; by the sounds of it, the housekeeping crew was in full swing by 8 AM. The first day I went down to breakfast the workers closed it 30 minutes early, forgetting that the hours were different on the weekends. When the guests pointed it out to them, they were embarassed, but did nothing to correct the situation besides warm a couple bagels. The lack of effort and concern was appalling.
To me, there was very little that was redeeming about this hotel and I would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Blue Parkway side get a bit of road noise starting around 6:30 AM.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City Sports Complex, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Sapperlight,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are glad you liked the convenient location of our hotel from the Stadium. We would like to apologize for the service you received that did not live up to your expectations. We also apologize you were not satisfied with the room accommodations you had and our Shuttle services. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Booked last minute and able to get a room. 137 with aaa discount. Check in and check out staff were over the top helpful and nice. We had an issue where candy was found along the edge of thebed and my 10 mo old ate a piece. Staff discounted the room and promised to speak to housekeeping about the issue. If we had not hadthebaby who finds everything, we would not have noticed as the room looked very clean.

Knowing we were coming with a baby they upgraded our room so baby would have more space to crawl. Would give 5 starsif it werentfor the chocolate that the baby found and ate.

Breakfast was good with a large selection yogurt, eggs, ham, biscuits and gravy, cereal, and sweetbreads. Plus we had acoffee maker with coffee in the room.

Finally shower had bath and body works products.
Ps excuse typos, on a tablet.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. It is very important for us that our guests feel comfortable and home. We apologize about the incident about your baby. We are also delighted that you like the breakfast that we have for our guest. And we highly appreciate the kind words that you have for our staffs. I’ll make sure to let them know your comment as we always strive for the best customer experience. It was a pleasure to serve you.
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Moldy ceiling in basement hallway.
A/C not working in our room.
Tarp-like plastic mattress pad.
Bugs on bathroom floor.
Food stains on guest room walls.
Unsafe pool setup.
PM staff not very personable, although AM front-desk woman was VERY nice and apologetic, although each time I went to talk to her she was dealing with other complaints ...

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank abop24
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City Sports Complex, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear abop24,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We would like to apologize for the over-all experience you had that did not live up to your expectations. We want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. For that reason, we have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details regarding your stay. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Heatland
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Was with family at Children's Mercy Hospital and needed to find a place to stay for the night but did not start looking for a hotel until late in the evening. There was nothing available amongst the highly rated, reasonable priced hotels nearby. After a number of fruitless phone calls, I ended up with Holiday Inn reservations checking on another hotel with no success and, in frustration, I asked the agent to just find me something and this hotel was her suggestion, which I took.

In spite, of the less than stellar reviews, I found the hotel to be quite satisfactory. Nothing special but no real complaints. Keep in mind that I got there fairly late and left the next morning so did not spend a lot of time there. The room was fine and equipped with a microwave and refrigerator. If you looked really hard you could find a few things to be picky about (e.g. a bit of bath tub caulking with some mildew) but in general the room was clean and in good shape. The desk clerk at check in was not particularly friendly but got the job done efficiently and answered my questions. The clerk at checkout was very friendly. The included breakfast was pretty decent with enough options to make me happy, including several hot options. Exception: the scrambled eggs where horrible, some kind of reconstitute yuck.

I thought the hotel was a bit overpriced but not horribly so.

I am not so sure about the neighborhood. The hotel was obviously well equipped with security cameras with multiple monitors the front desk clerk could watch. Not sure if that is an indication of good security or a bad neighborhood (or both?).

The hotel sits right on E. Blue Parkway but it is a divided roadway at this location and you have to arrive and depart southbound. Not a big deal once you figure it out as there are intersections or turnarounds a short distance in either direction. I don't normally use a GPS but a family member had one along and it proved to be useful in getting in and out.

There are number of fast food restaurants along E. Blue Parkway within a mile or so to the south of the hotel. Probably some real restaurants as well be we were not looking for one at the time of night we go there.

In summary, this hotel is probably not one I would seek out but I would not shy away from it either.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize about the clerk not being too friendly. I’ll definitely address your concern with the cleck. Thank you very much for drawing your attention to these problems. We would be glad to get another chance to convince you entirely with our service quality.