Tripadvisor
Kansas City
Post
Inbox
Search

“Had a small birthday celebration”

La Bodega - Kansas City
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Had a small birthday celebration here.
The restaurant is unusually shaped a triangle due to the location. There is a side room for large groups over 15 people. Parking is across street under the highway overpass. Bathroom is single person and has beautiful mosaic tile design. It is more attractive than the art in the main room.

Unusual artwork on the walls. Did not resonate as Spanish to me. It is nude female bodies in fluid like motion. Not detailed life-like nudes just outlines of bodies w hips and breasts. If they were trying for “Dalí esque” images they failed. I found the art distracting ugly. Plain walls or a painted mosaic pattern would be better than the phantom-like floating nude female bodies.

Management was helpful with details of the party. They called to confirm the date and time. They totally understood when we had to reschedule due to snow and ice. They set out balloons on the table so guests arriving before the birthday girl would know they were at the right table. They offered to seat people 15 minutes early. They brought out the pre ordered appetizers as guests waited for the birthday girl to arrive. They allowed me to bring a birthday cake in. They brought it out w a candle at the right time then they sliced the cake and served the guests.

Moderate amount of noise - music playing and other noises- plates, glassware..etc. Definitely not a romantic quiet place.

Sangria - they have red and white. I tried the red. It was very good. I prefer a little fruitier but it was good.

Tapas were good- best were shrimp, beef tenderloin, croquetas, patatas bravas had an excellent garlic sauce. We preordered a variety of tapas and they brought out several different ones. Tortilla was not served so I cannot say if it was good.

Paella- when I was in Spain the paella was not made with sofrito, but here it is. I did not care for the paella it had a sweet taste that seemed wrong to me. I don’t know if that was the sofrito or something else.

One paella was labeled as saffron rice and may have been the paella I was remembering, but it had lobster which I don’t care for so I didn’t order that one.

Overall, I felt like the Spanish cuisine had American influence-too much for me.

My teenage sons were hungry after the dinner. Even after birthday cake!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (337)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We enjoyed a nice dinner with a friend visiting from out-of-town during restaurant week. The food was delicious and the service was friendly and attentive. The restaurant is a bit cramped and all the hard surfaces make it very loud, but I like that lively vibe. This is a great place to go for a group of friends sharing tapas and sangria and experiencing a little bit of Spain in KC.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My family made 11:00 AM reservations, our table was ready on time. The host and staff were on point, our food was excellent . I had orange honey/goat cheese pancakes and they were great, solid drink specials to get us ready for a Chiefs win today. You can’t go wrong at La Bodega.

Reviewed December 16, 2019

The food here was SO yummy.
My husband and I didn't know what to expect and were so pleasantly surprised. We ordered too much food but it was all completely stellar.
Service was amazing.
It was a loud and lively atmosphere.
Very cool place.
Don't miss a visit here when you're in KC!

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed December 15, 2019

My daughter and I had lunch here during our annual Christmas shopping day together. One of the best parts of this day we set aside each year to spend together (just us two), is picking a nice place to have a big leisurely lunch. This year we decided to try Le Bodega. We went in mid afternoon, about 15 minutes before happy hour began. We walked in and were immersed in a sea of colors, a giant wall mural and an non traditionally shaped dining room (triangle). My daughter (an art teacher) immediately recognized the two big artist influences in the mural and found it a very tasteful departure from traditional restaurant decor. They were just winding down from the lunch rush and we waited about 5 minutes for a table. I talked with the manager(?) at the front while we waited for the table. He explained a bit about the menu, what tapas were, and a little about the history of the restaurant. The server came to seat us and left us menus. I can't remember the server's name, but she was VERY good; down to earth and knew the menu well. At our query, she suggested most people that are hungry have a total of 4, maybe 5 menu items to between two people for a meal. She laughed when I asked the correct pronunciation of some of the dishes and said, I can't pronounce them all correctly, so sometimes I just make it up. She also had personal favorites among the dishes and favorites she had gleaned from many diners there over her time at the restaurant. We tried several she suggested and ALL were seriously good! We picked 5 and ordered the Tempranillo house wine. Everything was so good that we ordered two more menu items to share and took our time for a wonderful 2 hour lunch. I am a little picky (some say very) about what wines I will drink and do enjoy a good wine food pairing. I have to say, this was the best $5 glass of house wine I have had anywhere in years, and it paired very well with every dish but the last, which was this incredibly luscious baked date wrapped in something like prosciutto, topped with some special type of mustard (i believe), baked and covered in a fig sauce with goat cheese on the side to add on top. It was very rich and sweet, and although it wasn't bad pairing with the wine, it really called for an port or desert wine. We ordered a port to share (20 year old tawny) and it was a perfect pairing for our last dish.

I was very impressed that the server did not come to the table (thank God) and ask the horrible patronizing boiler plate question asked by so many young servers today at all levels of restaurants (which is one of my biggest turnoffs): "How's everything tastin'?" She was observant, well timed, and everything she said or asked was completely related to our individual dining experience and synced to where we were in the dining process. I hope the management realizes what an asset she is to their operation!

All considered, this really was a truly wonderful and relaxed dining experience that we will be back with many others to share!

Date of visit: December 2019