“Definitely worth a visit”
Review of Kansas City Zoo

Kansas City Zoo
Ranked #23 of 138 things to do in Kansas City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Explore the Kansas City Zoo, with more than 1,700 animals on 202 acres, it's the most affordable family fun for kids of all ages. For weekend activities and events, visit the Zoo website.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I visited the Kansas City Zoo during our trip in June. This is a fairly good zoo with a large variety of animals. This zoo is also enormous so plan to dedicate 5-6 hours if you want to see everything. There is also a train if you don't feel like making the walk all the way to Africa and back. The zoo also has easy access to food, drinks and bathrooms which is good since it is such a massive area. Highly recommend when visiting KC. It is also fairly cheap considering how long you will end up spending there.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,416)
All reviews
in 26 reviews
"habitat"
in 58 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I've visited the Zoo in 2012, and it was fabulous. I've never seen a Zoo that big in my life! Going there requires a full day if you really want to take your time. It's fun for kids as well, but you must know that they might get tired or bored after a while, so if you're going with kids I'd recommend 2 or 3 visits in different days. Nonetheless, I'd say is was money well spent. I've never seen something like that.

1  Thank AttilaBrv
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This zoo has really improved in the 10-years between my visits. Recent improvements to the zoo (since 2009) are everywhere with a new penguin exhibit slated for the fall of 2013.
A pair of polar bears did not fail to entertain. Our visit to the animal encounters provided an up-close experience with an American Alligator and a California King Snake. The kangaroos were a surprise free to roam throughout the exhibits. There was an opportunity to feed the Lorikees. The river otters provided their usual antics.
Using our membership to another zoo, we received a 50% discount making this an inexpensive excursion, so one can afford to skip the walk an purchase one of the transportation tickets...tram, skyride or boat to get to the African exhibits.

1  Thank MichelleinMA
Reviewed July 18, 2013

It was just an average zoo. Nothing spectacular about it. I think they need to clean things up a little more. It is in a horrible location. Driving to it scared me a little bit. I would go back but wouldn't plan a special trip there.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We visited the Kansas City Zoo the day after the Fourth of July. The zoo is now open at 8am in the summer so we were able to get out visit in before the heat of the day. Most of the animals were very active. We did not eat anything during our visit, but the train, tram and skytram were all running on time and had good customer service. The zoo was clean and the grounds were well-kept. The new polar bear was on display as well!