“Great zoo (tips included)”
Review of Kansas City Zoo

Kansas City Zoo
Ranked #10 of 162 things to do in Kansas City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Explore the Kansas City Zoo, with more than 1,700 animals on 202 acres, it's the most affordable family fun for kids of all ages. For weekend activities and events, visit the Zoo website.
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I'm a zoo lover and have been to around 25 zoos around the country. Would rate this in the top 10 for sure. Big zoo too, the only one i can think that is bigger is San Diego's. Nice exhibits in that the animals here have a ton of space, you definitely don't feel sorry for them as being couped up....they have room to roam and run. Their australian part was interesting in that the kangaroos and some other small animals roam free and you can walk amongst them. They don't attack, but like to watch you as you watch them. Very unique. Loved the polar bear exhibit, top notch. Boat ride across a lake and skyride in some ski-style chair lifts as well as customary train rides can help take a break from all the walking. Big big park so plan on at least 4 hrs here. We tried to rush through it and it still took 2.5 hrs to do. Exciting new Penguin exhibit coming in 2013.

Tip: Don't wear new shoes as you'll be doing a lot of walking.

2  Thank bruce p
Write a ReviewReviews (1,285)

Reviewed October 5, 2012

The zoo is one of our family's favorite places to visit - especially the Polar Bear! My kids really have fun watching him swim and push off of the glass that shows him under the water.

1  Thank RBMomma
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Lots and lots of walking. The animals have larger enclosures than the ones at our zoo, which is good for them, not us. We barely saw the ones we wanted because they were far away and laying down. Luckily the weather was nice because we walked miles. Before we left I wanted to ride the Sky Safari. We waited in line for about 30 minutes and when we got to the front it broke. So we waited and hoped it would be fixed, but we ended up leaving. We were then glad we were not stuck on it, hanging over the animals. I would not go there again.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We were in town for a wedding and saw on the local news the Kansas City Zoo was having its free admission day. So we went for a few hours and were delighted! When I was little I lived in Kansas City and had fond memories of the zoo.

And decades later, I wasn't disappointed. We loved strolling into the Africa section of the park, seeing elephants, cheetahs and other interesting wildlife!

It was a great way to spend the day in a different city!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had free passes so I can't say if this zoo is expensive or not, but I can say that it was a day well spent. We took our 2 granddaughters & had a great time. The weather was cool & so all of the animals were out. It is a big zoo so you might want to consider taking the tram to or from the Africa part of the zoo. When taking the train be warned that there is a tunnel you go through that is very dark for a few seconds, and it did totally freak one of the girls out. They have a huge variety of animals & it's set up where you're never very far from seeing one. The polar bear was a big hit! We've been to a lot of zoos & this one was just as good as the rest. They also have a nice carousel the kids can ride, tho' I think it costs a couple of dollars to do so.

Been to Kansas City Zoo? Share your experiences!