“Wow! Love This Food.”
Review of Extra Virgin

Extra Virgin
Reserve with OpenTable
Extra Virgin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #109 of 1,424 Restaurants in Kansas City
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 19th & Main
Denver
“Wow! Love This Food.”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

On a recent trip to Kansas City, my husband and I stopped here for lunch. This wasn't the first time we ate here. The food is always good but this time was exceptional. Because we don't live in KC, I don't know whether the food is getting even better or if we chose well.

We started with a salad of mixed greens with fresh Missouri peaches and cherries. Very good.
Next, we ordered the grilled octopus. Yum! On the next round, we ordered housemade ricotta with grilled bread and chicken thighs stuffed with chorizo and figs. Excellent! I'm working to recreate the recipe for the chicken thighs so that I can make them at home.

The service is friendly and casual. If you'e a foodie, you won't be disappointed here.

• Visited September 2012

Kansas City, Missouri
“A Nice Twist”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Unusual, tasty food, good service and very good bartenders make Extra Virgin a great place for happy hour or afters.

Visited December 2011
“Small plates, Big favors”
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

It is casual dining with not-so-casual food! The plates are small and meant for sharing, so when they suggest multiple plates per person, it's a good steer. The grilled oyster mushrooms are divine as were the Heirloom tomato salad and the pork cheeks. Very non-traditional all the way around, but amazing none the less.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Worth the adventure”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This place was awesome. My boyfriend made reservations, although we showed up early and were seated right away. A few locals talked to us outside and gave us mixed reviews but we had a blast. Since it was served tapas style we ordered some chic pea fries and olives to start. Not spectacular but original. Tried the mojitos (classic) which were good and not stingy on the rum and had the real cuban flavor. Real mint and very refreshing. The startes came with the heirloom tomato salad.. Desicious!!!! A smidge heavy on the dressing but the flavors were all great. Then came the reknowned Duck Tounge Tacos.... not my favorite. They were good but I was left wishing I had just stuck with my favorite and ordered the tarar ones the couple next to us had. I am all about trying new things but just wasn't a fan! We also had the chicken thighs with chorrizo and fig which rated great on Yelp. They were good but only 2 of the 4 slices had much of the stuffing and without the stuffing they were great chicken thighs but nothing worth calling home about. Now, if you have read this far you HAVE to order the roasted bone marrow. And eat it while it is warm. And if I went again I would order an extra side of the pickled onions and greens on top and one extra slice of bread. Everything about this dish is superb. If you are a steak lover, this little bit of heaven tastes like the best of the best of the best bite of steak you could ever imagine with a slight crust of roasted bread and only enhanced by the pickled onion on top. If you have never had marrow and are in the least reluctant, do it here. This was spectacular! And it is a tie with the marrow and the baklava for desert. I love baklava and this is BY FAR the best I have ever had. PERFECT blend of nuts and honey and philo. So many are drownd in honey but this is luscious every bite you take and a very generous serving. I was just visiting the area but if I ever go back I would HAVE to order the marrow and baklava (and probably an extra baklava to go....it's that darn good)! Enjoy the adventure! (The ONLY negative was that the service was a little unattentive but not worth skipping the fabulous food for!!)

• Visited September 2012
Lee's Summit, Missouri
“Very uptown in downtown KC!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Local Restauranteur Michael Smith's Tapas bar is not one to miss in downtown Kansas CIty. Make a reservation because this place is POPULAR!!! It's the "pretty" urban crowd, but the service/atmosphere are very accessible to all walks of life. The food is phenomenal. We kept it basic, Salad, bread with ricotta, sea scallops and a dessert. All were off the charts tasty, well prepared, and served in a timely manner. They offer an adventureous section of tapas that includes snails and bone marrow... we weren;t that adventureous, but we saw several that were "going for it". They offer an extensive wine and cocktail menu and an outside patio. We saw people in both shorts and cocktail dresses - so your typical midwest casual attitude. Go hungry, and share a bunch of small plate items... you will not miss on any section of the menu!!!

• Visited August 2012