“Worth the adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Extra Virgin

Extra Virgin
Reserve with OpenTable
Extra Virgin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 1,411 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 19th & Main
Phoenix, Arizona
“Worth the adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

This place was awesome. My boyfriend made reservations, although we showed up early and were seated right away. A few locals talked to us outside and gave us mixed reviews but we had a blast. Since it was served tapas style we ordered some chic pea fries and olives to start. Not spectacular but original. Tried the mojitos (classic) which were good and not stingy on the rum and had the real cuban flavor. Real mint and very refreshing. The startes came with the heirloom tomato salad.. Desicious!!!! A smidge heavy on the dressing but the flavors were all great. Then came the reknowned Duck Tounge Tacos.... not my favorite. They were good but I was left wishing I had just stuck with my favorite and ordered the tarar ones the couple next to us had. I am all about trying new things but just wasn't a fan! We also had the chicken thighs with chorrizo and fig which rated great on Yelp. They were good but only 2 of the 4 slices had much of the stuffing and without the stuffing they were great chicken thighs but nothing worth calling home about. Now, if you have read this far you HAVE to order the roasted bone marrow. And eat it while it is warm. And if I went again I would order an extra side of the pickled onions and greens on top and one extra slice of bread. Everything about this dish is superb. If you are a steak lover, this little bit of heaven tastes like the best of the best of the best bite of steak you could ever imagine with a slight crust of roasted bread and only enhanced by the pickled onion on top. If you have never had marrow and are in the least reluctant, do it here. This was spectacular! And it is a tie with the marrow and the baklava for desert. I love baklava and this is BY FAR the best I have ever had. PERFECT blend of nuts and honey and philo. So many are drownd in honey but this is luscious every bite you take and a very generous serving. I was just visiting the area but if I ever go back I would HAVE to order the marrow and baklava (and probably an extra baklava to go....it's that darn good)! Enjoy the adventure! (The ONLY negative was that the service was a little unattentive but not worth skipping the fabulous food for!!)

• Visited September 2012

Lee's Summit, Missouri
“Very uptown in downtown KC!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Local Restauranteur Michael Smith's Tapas bar is not one to miss in downtown Kansas CIty. Make a reservation because this place is POPULAR!!! It's the "pretty" urban crowd, but the service/atmosphere are very accessible to all walks of life. The food is phenomenal. We kept it basic, Salad, bread with ricotta, sea scallops and a dessert. All were off the charts tasty, well prepared, and served in a timely manner. They offer an adventureous section of tapas that includes snails and bone marrow... we weren;t that adventureous, but we saw several that were "going for it". They offer an extensive wine and cocktail menu and an outside patio. We saw people in both shorts and cocktail dresses - so your typical midwest casual attitude. Go hungry, and share a bunch of small plate items... you will not miss on any section of the menu!!!

Kansas City, Missouri
“Do not miss this restaurant/experience!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Xtra Virgin is one of my favorite places to go while on a date or entertaining friends, or if I get there early enough, just for happy hour. The cocktails are delicious, several made with gourmet bitters made in house. The staff is knowledgeable and fun with great recommendations if you're on the fence about what to order from the amazing menu. The food is tasty and interesting. When is the last time you had "duck tongue tacos," chickpea fries, chicken thigh wrapped around fig and chorizo? I have many food issues, yeah, I'm that guy. I can't do dairy, legumes. I can still find several delicious items on their menu and the staff can either alter my order or steer me away from anything that might upset my delicate constitution :) This place is especially hopping on the first friday of each month when the crossroads district (where it is located) is bustling with people enjoying art shows at the surrounding galleries which are open later on First Fridays. The decor is extra cool too and there is an amazing deck, however, I prefer to sit at the bar so I can watch the bartenders do their magic and check out the open kitchen. Enjoy in good health, Dan

Fayetteville, Arkansas
“If you like Tapas this is the place for you.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Great Tapas bar close to the Power and Light District. They have a wide menu even catering to those with an adventuresome pallet. Can you say "Duck Tongue Tacos"?

Visited August 2012
Kansas
“Tons of Interesting Choices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

So glad I finally got around to trying Extra Virgin. But, since Kansas City has so many amazing options, sometimes I think it's going to take me two lifetimes to get everything in!! My friend and I dropped in during 'happy hour' after traipsing around the West Bottoms during first Friday. The menu is crazy! There were so many interesting choices but our server helped us make some great choices. We had a nice sampling of tapas to include the Ahi tacos, cold tomato-basil soup, stuffed chicken thighs, and Greek salads. We were even treated to the hummus gratis because it had been made by mistake. Everything was delicious. Our service was as fantastic as our food.