“Nice stay in KC”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown
Ranked #18 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a business trip in Kansas City. Good hotel, in the center, well connected, nice rooms with good view

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
CPKCGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2011

Thank you for staying with us at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown, and for sharing your experience. We look forward to hosting you again next time you’re in Kansas City!

Reviewed December 28, 2010

Arrived late but room was reserved through Priceline.com. Lobby floor was dirty from winter muck and smell of insecticide was strong. Customer service was average. We were Immediately charged incidental fee of $25 before checked in or had room key!!! The room was dated. Carpet was old and needed replaced or deep cleaned. Bed was a sleep number bed and was good to sleep in. Water was hot, shower was nice! Tv was modern flat screen but channel slection was poor. We stayed on the 25th floor and the view was excellent! The next morning we were awakened by a large flock of pigeons on our window ledge cooing, then a man and woman were fighting in the hallway, cussing and yelling, however this only lasted a few minutes. Would I stay downtown again? probably north of the river next time.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
CPKCGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2011

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown. We welcome all feedback from our guests, as it is the first step towards the improvement of our services. We completed a multi-million dollar renovation in July 2009, and I do apologize that your visit fell short of your expectations. Thank you again for your comments; I have shared them with the appropriate departments in order to continually improve our services and facilities. We hope to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza again in the future.

Reviewed December 7, 2010

Arrived in KC Thanksgiving night to visit and friend and the hotel I thought I booked on-line did not have my reservation. I found the Crowne and they were able to hook-me-up with a great room and a better rate than the other place. The room was on point. And yes, I do carry a blue light stick with me. I bought a camera at airport and left it on the desk at the hotel check-in and went back for it the next day and it was there, still unopened. Imagine that. Coming from Los Angeles that camera would have been long gone.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
CPKCGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2010

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and were able to recover your camera. We take great pride in our staff and we are pleased we made your stay enjoyable.

Reviewed December 6, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Crown Plaza on December 4th for a quick getaway to Kansas City with our kids. We booked through Priceline, and really just needed a place to sleep as we had a full itinerary for the two days we were there. The room appeared a little dated, but was fine, and check in and parking were not a problem.

At check in we were told there were two wedding that weekend. We returned to the hotel around ten Saturday night, and although we noticed the walls were thin and easy to hear next door, we didn't think much of it. Around 1:30 a.m., we began to hear yelling, doors slamming, and banging on doors up and down our hallway. After about 45 minutes, we asked our neighbors to please quite down and not wake our kids, but it continued and got even worse. We called the front desk and asked them to send up security and we were assured that they would. This went on until after 4:00 a.m.. We called four different times to the front desk, and each time were assured it would be taken care of. Nobody ever came to the 21st floor to do anything about the noise.

The next morning, while looking for a sock in the bed, my husband noticed a very large brown stain on the comforter, which was near the bottom of the bed on the underneath side.....which we had covered up with all night!

At checkout, we let the front desk know of our concerns, and were given vouchers for free breakfast, which was a nice gesture. Unfortunately, we decided to have the buffet, and there was no breakfast meat, eggs, gravy, or yogurt for over 40 minutes.

We really didn't have high expectations, but we certainly expected to be able to sleep more than a couple of hours. The lack of response and then the poor experience at breakfast was truly unacceptable.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your feedback; we appreciate every guest comment. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay; poor service and lack of response truly is unacceptable. Please be assured we will take every measure to re-address issues of staff responsiveness and security. Our guests are our first priority, and I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Again, I apologize for your bad experience, and we hope for the chance to give you the type of service you expect from Crowne Plaza in the future.

Reviewed November 28, 2010

Hotel staff could not be more helpful or courteous. Room was spacious, accommodations very comfortable. Very convenient to Main Street bus. Shuttle driver was friendly and knowledgeable.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
CPKCGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City; we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to pass along your positive comments to our staff and shuttle drivers. Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed November 17, 2010

VERY nice staff, super clean , it was like I was staying with Family but downtown .

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
CPKCGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2010

Thank you for your comment. We are always happy to hear when our guests enjoy their stay in Kansas City. Thank you for staying with us, and we’d love to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed October 22, 2010

The customer service at this hotel was poor from beginning to end.. When I called on the day of arrival to ask about adjoining rooms for myself and colleagues who would be arriving much later that evening, it took 22 rings for the phone to be answered. It was 130 p.m. The agent told me it was impossible to set up adjoining rooms. When I arrived, I was surprised that there was no valet parking and not even a valet to help carry in luggage from my car. I had to go inside and wait in line to ask for a valet. This was about 4 p.m. Apparently there was only one valet, and they couldnt find him and one agent said she wasnt even sure if he was still there. After a phone call, the valet appeared from a back door , smelling of smoke, and assisted me. After that, I parked my car ($13 per day) and checked in. At that time, I got a very helpful agent who assisted in setting up my room near my other colleagues. When I got to the room, my luggage had arrived. However, there were wrappers on the floor, so apparently it hadn't been vacuumed. And when I went to put my clothes in the dresser, there were hairs in every drawer....some curly black and some long brown. the inside of the drawers also smelled very musty....or maybe it was B.O. Apparently the dresser hadnt been cleaned in some time. I did not ask for a change of rooms because I needed to be near my colleagues to work on projects. the bathroom was so tiny, you had to walk in and close the door before you could use the shower. I ate that evening in the City Grille at the hotel. At 7 p.m., my colleague and I were the only ones in the place. We immediately ordered an appetizer..artichoke dip and chips. It took 30 min. to get it. We had also ordered chicken sandwiches, and they took an hour to arrive. Remember, we were the only ones there! We never had our drinks re=filled, either. Once, during one of our business meetings, a panel fell off the wall,. maintenance did come to fix it when we called. There was a ballroom outside our meeting room and we had to pass through it to get to our meeting. For two days, the ballroom hadnt been cleaned from the night before,...we had to walk around broken glass and trash.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
CPKCGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2010

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown.

I do apologize for the experience you describe during your stay with us. You may rest assure that I have addressed the situation with the appropriate departments and will use your comments to redirect our service levels.

The Crowne Plaza Kansas City is committed to providing the highest quality of guest service. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance, and hope you will give us another opportunity in the future. Thank you for your feedback.