“A definite mixed bag”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown
Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed August 25, 2009

First off, let me start with the positives. I booked this place through Hotwire, and I got a great deal for a last minute trip to stay 1 Friday night in KC. Upon my arrival, they sold out the King Non-smoking room that I had requested in advance, and they tried to put me in a double...but at my insistence, they put me up in a handicapped suite, that was very nicely appointed. It had nearly every amenity a person in a hotel could need, and then some. There was a bar there with a beautiful bartender, who got my order in so I could get a meal even though it was technically past closing time...it was much appreciated!

Now for the negatives. First of all, the overbooking thing pissed me off, as that seems to be getting more and more common these days, and I had to really insist on getting the room that I had reserved. Second, the handicapped room, while very roomy and full of room, had a shower curtain that was totally ineffective and the bathroom floor was flooded after a brief 10 minute shower in the morning. Also, in that light, the smoke detector went off about 5 minutes into my shower, which was lukewarm at best, by no means hot, and that is not a pleasant experience, trying to shut off one of those things when you're dripping wet! Finally, right as I was packing up, it was either a ground beetle or a cockroach scrambled out from under my suitcase when I moved it, I crunched it and left it for the housekeeping staff, with a sarcastic note thanking them for my friend. I also told management, who mumbled a half-hearted apology that was lacking in any sincerity.

All in all, this isn't a bad property, but had I paid full price for the room, I would have been demanding a refund for all of the disappointment. I guess I just expected better, truth be told. The place has great potential and the majority of the room accommodations were great, but a few bad touches can ruin a stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank JCS276

Reviewed August 24, 2009

My fiance and I went to Kansas City for a relaxing weekend away. This hotel was nothing but stressful on our relaxing weekend. Let me give a play-by-play of what all happened.

#1- their garage parking costs $13/day-- why would you charge your guests $13/day when the garage is located within the hotel??! That is just insane to me!

#2- We ordered room service for breakfast---what we ORDERED was blueberry pancakes and regular buttermilk pancakes and 1 apple juice and 2 orange juice. What we GOT was buttermilk pancakes and 2 apple juice. We explained what we wanted to the guy who brought the food up; he said he would have the blueberry pancakes up in 10-15 minutes. He came up 30 MINUTES later with some orange juice, no blueberry pancakes. I finally gave up and called down to say I didn't want them anymore. The pancakes we received were cold by that point.

#3- we left to go explore the city, when we returned-- our bed was made (our sheets had holes in them)--- our tray of food was still there from room service-- and they threw out our bag of chocolates and snack food which was not meant to be thrown out. It wasnt even by a trash can! It was sitting on a chair next to my clothes!

#4- the tray was still there on Saturday afternoon from room service---you would think they would have taken that out of the room by now!!!

#5- they overcharged us by $170! They claimed we are supposed to be getting that returned back to us by the end of business today.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ashleyj1030
Reviewed August 19, 2009

We made a last minute decision to take our "20-something" kids on a weekend getaway to KC. I used Priceline hoping we could get a good deal on two rroms, and we did. After reading the comments I was a little concerned but we were pleasantly surprised! The hotel recently changed chains and is being remodeled and updated with completion scheduled for late August. The young man behind the desk was very nice. We didn't eat at the hotel because we spent a good deal of time in the Power and Light District, only two blocks away! The pool was out of commission, but because they were painting it. The rooms were very nice and with the Rewards program we received an upgrade to a suite. We would go back!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2009

I booked this hotel through priceline so that i could take my grandchildren for a one day vacation. The hotel was disguesting. The room smelled awful, the carpet was filthy and the pool was so cloudy I was afraid to let the kids swim.. I tried to make the best of it and took the kids to Crown Center for the free Friday night movie. After the movie at 11:00 pm. I went to the hotel parking (which they charged me $13) and there was no parking anywhere. In fact I had to turn arond and busted a headlight out trying to turn arown.. Thinking that surely the hotel would valet park my car somewhere I drug my crying children in the lobby only to be told sorry,I could always park in another parking lot several blocks down the street. It was late, my kids were crying and it was not in the best part of town.

I ended up parking my car illegally, packing our bags and leaving the hotel. We had to pay to go somewhere else in order to get a night's sleep.

totally unacceptable. Do not waste one penny on this horrible smelly hotel

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank pzbear
Reviewed July 19, 2009

My neice got married in Kansas City in May. The bridal party and guests were staying at the Crowne Plaza across from the Convention Center. The on-line reviews were dreadful and I was planning to stay at the nearby Marriott with my teenagers and husband. The Crown Plaza assured my neice that renovations on the hotel would be completed by the weekend of her wedding. Trusting this would happen, we booked at the Plaza as well. It more than met my expectations, and I am a very fussy guest. We had a very large suite to accomodate my older children, and everything was in pristine condition. The bed linens were lovely and the king size bed itself very comfortable. As well, the pull-out sofa in the living area also had a very good mattress. The sink area is separate from the tub and toilet (which I actually am not fond of--I like a sink directly beside the toilet for handwashing so it is not necessary to touch the doorknob with unwashed hands) but this was helpful as it allowed us to maximize use of the bathroom when we were all getting ready for the wedding. The hotel is also in an amazing location--within a two second walk to the convention center and a two-minute walk to the spectacular Power and Lights district. Also of interest to us was the fact that we saw virtually no car traffic in this area--maybe because the temperature was very warm and everyone was on foot. The front desk was helpful and efficient, and the lobby boasts a Starbucks. I am sure I speak for many guests of the wedding party that this hotel was a perfect choice (and so cheap!!!! I believe we paid $149.00 for a very large suite with a separate bedroom). Do not hesitate to book this hotel. Times have changed at the Plaza!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2009

We just returned home from a wonderful trip to KC & stayed at Crowne Plaza on the 17th floor. Along with great service the lobby, rooms, baths, restaurant, etc... were exceptionally clean & beautifully decorated! They are also located in a great location near the Sprint Center and the Power & Light District is just 2 blks away and offers shopping, food, nightlife, etc.... Oh, if your looking for a nice grocery, Cosentino's Market is just 2 blocks away (P&L) & is a upscale grocery market with a huge deli that offers breakfast, lunch, & dinner plus lots more with reasonable prices! So, if your looking for a nice place to stay in downtown KC near the P&L District with Crowne Center & the Plaza being nearby, this is the place to stay!!! We will definitely be back to visit soon & will be staying at the Crowne Plaza!!
P.S. Did I forget to tell you about the Sleep Number beds??? A++++

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We spent 2 nights at The Crowne June 19-20, 2009. The rooms were very nice, had been recently refurbished. The room was great, about the normal size for KC. Had a sleep number bed, which was fine. Nice furnishings, plenty of space. Located near Power & Light district and convention center. The staff was friendly, and were very helpful getting my Mom into a handicapped room. Parking in the garage was $13 per night with in/out privilege. There is a pool and workout room, but I didn't use them. Free wireless internet, and you can print boarding passes in the business center. There is a Starbucks in the lobby. Breakfast was a little expensive, but not by most hotel standards - we had the buffet, which was good. I was a little worried reading the reviews, but we had an excellent stay, & I would not hesitate to stay there in the future, or recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple