“Nothing Bad to Say”

Ranked #22 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Savannah, Georgia
“Nothing Bad to Say”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

The hotel is unexceptional but clean and well-organized. The bed was slightly uncomfortable...but of course one rarely sleeps as well away from home.
But...
All the staff were very friendly, and particularly the maid and dining room staff were extremely helpful and went out of their way to accommodate every single request. I'd like to give a special mention to Fabiola in the dining room, Alejandra for our maid service, and a young Vietnamese server in the restaurant whose name I unfortunately forget.
Oh, and by the way they made a fabulous, classic, dry martini!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Boedicea,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about the Crowne Plaza - Kansas City Downtown with the TripAdvisor Community. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, although, I am sorry you did not sleep as well in our beds as you would at home.

Thank you for mentioning our staff and how pleased you are with them. Our team takes great pride in providing exceptional service and the names you mentioned are just a few of the very talented people we have.

We look forward to you next visit!

Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Priscilla (I hope I spelled that correctly) went above and beyond and helped us have a great start to our day! Excellent location, walking distance from the power and light district. I will definitely be back. This is a very nice hotel with very friendly and helpful employees.

• Stayed July 2014
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Taylor W,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback on your stay at Crowne Plaza - Kansas City Downtown. I am truly delighted to hear what a great stay you had with us and that our staff went above and beyond to ensure you had everything you needed. We truly value your business and your warm comments mean a lot to our team. We look forward to serving you as our guest again in the future.

Regards,

Gilmanton IW, NH, USA
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was my third time staying here for a conference, and it seems better each time. Staff was courteous and efficient. The rooms were clean and functional, and the beds were comfortable. As this was a business trip, and I was room sharing with two friends, it was perfect for our needs. We are close to the conference center, other hotels where other friends were and the Power & Light District. At check-in, we were given free drink tickets for Howl at the Moon, and a discount ticket for another place (can't remember it, as I didn't use it) I do plan to stay there again next year.

Dear SilverSandy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Crowne Plaza - Kansas City Downtown with the TripAdvisor community. I am very pleased to hear your experience gets better and better each year and we look forward to your conference next year.

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was in Kansas City for a yearly Conference and have stayed elsewhere until this year. Overall, this hotel was super conveniently located across the street from the Conference Center and it was really nice having the Starbucks attached. The staff was nice, especially at the front desk. The pool was an added bonus for us to enjoy.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the 7th floor. I would probably recommend a higher floor because of street...
Green Features: Did not notice anything above ordinary in environmentally friendly practices. There were signs in the bathroom regarding towel usage.
Dear Michellehaider,

Thank you for staying with us at the Crowne Plaza - Kansas City Downtown during your recent conference. I am very pleased to hear you found our location convenient for your needs and were able to enjoy the pool during your stay. We look forward to your visit next year.

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My rating for the Crowne Plaza was fluctuating over the course of my stay at this hotel, and I thought it was going to land at 4 stars, but this took a nose dive on our second night there when we found a huge beetle in one of our beds that looked almost roach-like. I hoped it was a fluke, but then found a smaller one in the bathroom the next morning as we were getting ready to leave and check out. The only reason I think it's a beetle as opposed to a roach is I've tried comparing the picture I took of the smaller one I found and compared against pictures of bugs on the internet. If it does end up they were roaches, though, I'd be happy to forward the exterminator bill to the hotel for them to pay in case any got into our luggage and traveled back to our apartment with us.

I didn't mention the first beetle to the staff because it was fairly late at night when we discovered it, and I just wanted to sleep instead of getting hotel staff involved and potentially move us rooms. After finding the second one, I mentioned both of them to the woman at the desk as we were checking out, and she didn't offer any apology or possibility of some sort of compensation. She appeared to write down our room number after I told her I had trapped the second one under a glass that was in the room and left it for them to inspect. But after writing down the information, she seemed quick to get rid of us and told us nothing more than simply saying we were good to go.

Aside from that incident, everything else during our stay was decent. The lobby leaves a great first impression, and the rooms aren't too bad. I liked the decor in the room, but the closer I looked, the more it looked like it used to be a sub-par room that's been given a fresh coat of paint and some artwork to make it look better.

The air conditioner unit appeared to be from the '80s, and has certainly seen better days. There were actually exposed loose wires coming out of the floor near the base of the unit, which looked pretty shoddy and would be potentially dangerous for a child.

The carpet is in dire need of attention. There were some suspicious red stains near the bathroom, and more stains near the desk. It made me somewhat hesitant to even walk on it with bare feet.

In the bathroom, the tub looked a bit dirty and probably needs to be replaced or have a good scrubbing.

Otherwise, the room was equipped with everything we needed. Hopefully all the negative stuff I mentioned above isn't a factor in other guests' rooms.

My girlfriend checked out the pool and said that, while it was relaxing, it's a bit on the frigid side and not very large. It's at least good that they have one for families with children to keep them entertained, especially on a hot day.

I was a little frustrated one time when I parked my car and wasn't able to get the elevator to work from the parking garage to get up to my room. I took my baggage down the stairs and walked from the parking garage into the lobby to ask them about it. They said some sort of maintenance work was being done with them, but they thought they should've been up and running by then. They did apologize for the inconvenience, but it would've been nice to put out some signs so guests would know that they couldn't access their rooms from the parking garage.

The restaurant and Starbucks on the first floor make for great breakfast options in the morning if you want to grab a bite to eat or cup of coffee before setting off into the city to do whatever. I never ate there for lunch or dinner, nor did I ever hang out at the bar, so I can't speak to the quality of either of those.

The location of the Crowne Plaza is wonderful. It is near a lot of sources of art and entertainment. That might be its strongest point.

It's unfortunate that my experience at the Crowne Plaza was negative, as I was really excited about this hotel and wanted to enjoy it. I hope others have better experiences than I did, but as for me, I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side will tend to have a better view of the city.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ashley B, Guest Services at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear LemonyLlama,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown with the TripAdvisor community. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at our hotel. It is our mission to ensure that every guest who stays with us leaves with a positive opinion of our hotel and our City. I am disappointed that management was not made aware of your concerns prior to your departure so that we could have addressed them and done something to make it up to you.

I certainly hope that you will give us another try should your travels bring you back to the KC area. We are dedicated to guest service and guest satisfaction. On rare occasions, things do happen that are beyond our control, but we always go above and beyond in trying to rectify each and every situation. I can assure you that we utilize every bit of feedback to help improve our service, and we will use your feedback to make changes that will better serve our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to share.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We rented 2 rooms for a weekend stay a couple weeks ago. I am a Platinum elite member of the IHG club and so we were offered a complimentary breakfast in the concierge lounge, but the front desk had the actual times wrong. We woke up later on Sunday morning and got to the concierge lounge with maybe 10 minutes to spare before closing and most all the food was gone or being put away. I had my brother and his kids with me and my kids were with me. all of us were looking forward to breakfast! I began talking with Priscilla who was there in the CL and expressed to her my absolute frustration at being given the wrong times and that there was no food left. I asked her to please accommodate us someway and boy did she! I cannot say enough about her ability to problem solve my frustration at the situation. She took us downstairs and said we could eat from the buffet instead since they weren't putting food away there. It was such a wonderful gesture and a wonderful experience for my brother and his kids. They were so happy and then so was I. Our situation went from one of frustration about misinformation to a very happy ending! Thank you Crown Plaza for employing such a great girl, Priscilla. You have a great employee and you need to know it!
Kind Regards

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Julie,

We are so pleased we were able to assist you with the stressful situation! We certainly appreciate your kind review and comments regarding your experience with us. Thank you for being our guest, we hope to see you again soon!

Lindsborg, Kansas
Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is one of my more difficult reviews to write. Nothing was really awful nor outstanding about this hotel. We are a working class family and we work hard so that we can take little trips when we can. My usual hotel expenditure is never more than $100 a night and thanks to TripAdvisor and my Kansas Farm Bureau Discount or AAA Discount, I have been able to stick to that budget. We were lucky enough to get tickets to Paul McCartney at the Sprint Center. I thought that it would be a wonderful change to stay downtown and walk to and from the concert. I used AAA and got a King suite at this hotel for $218 plus lots of taxes. We arrived, parked in the garage and used parking elevator to get to lobby to check in. There was a convention of home jewelry selling ladies downtown as well as the Paul McCartney contingent, so there were about four people in line in front of me to check in. Check in was smooth. Young lady seemed nice but offered NO directions to room, NO local information, NO parking information, NO hotel amenity information. Just took my credit card and ID, gave me my room key and that was it. A slew of elevators made sure there was never a long wait to use them. Our room on the 12th floor was clean and very roomy. View was pretty cool until, as we were gawking at the tall buildings, we noticed suspicious activity in a car lot below our room. Man exits his car and relieves himself right in front of our eyes. Whee!
Bed was comfortable. Bedding was something you would expect for a hotel half the price of this one. We stayed at a new $79 a night Sleep Inn in Texas earlier in July and enjoyed soft duvets and premium bedding. This was just meh--kind of crochet style white cheap bedspread. We used the pull out couch and the bedding was crammed into a plastic sack in the closet. Bedspread had brown stains...
We returned late to the hotel after the concert. I will say right now that the lovely "official" photo of this hotel is like a glamour shot. Cut out a lot of the shine, lights and glitz to reveal the real deal. We cut through several courtyard type well lit areas coming back to hotel that night. As we came through the last courtyard, we could either turn left and go down a little alley then make a right @ 14th (I think) and then right onto Wyandotte and hotel would be on right. Or we could come up the well lit drive/alley right next to the hotel, directly below that lit up Crowne Plaza light on the building, pass the parking garage and hit the corner of the building, make a right and there would be the front door. Stupidly, even though I should know better because I'm originally from a large city, I chose the shorter option of cutting up the alley past the parking garage. Of course a very large, tall man approached us. "Folks, I have to ask you a question...Now I'm a good guy, I'm a good guy..." I looked him in the eye and said, "We're just going to keep on walking, thanks." Another ten feet or so and we were at the corner of the hotel, made that right turn and the front doors were right in front of us. I am not going to ding the hotel on this bad choice that I made, but I am going to say that I saw no security hanging around and this was pretty late at night after an event at the Sprint Center. The next morning we were out and about in the hotel common areas several times as we loaded our car, got breakfast at Starbucks and just explored a little. As we exited the elevator to the lobby, a staff member cheerfully said, "Good morning!" My husband replied, "Good morning, how are you?" to which there was no reply. Evidently only a good morning greeting is required, beyond that don't expect much. I saw staff in name badges each time we were milling around and never once did anyone really greet us or ask us about our stay. Comparing again to the $79 Sleep Inn where every time we came or went (a lot) we were smiled at, asked how we were, offered advice on tourist attractions... I felt like this was a very impersonal stay. Some people like impersonal and that's great--but when I spend over twice my nightly hotel budget--I would like to feel like I got a little bang for my buck. I read other reviews of this hotel and when people complained, the manager seems to have a habit of replying with "you should have let me know before you left." To this I say, "Let WHO know?" I have no idea what you looked like or who you were. Our exit papers shoved under our room door said we could just leave our keys in our room and we would be magically checked out. And really, what would I have said had I gone to the front desk to complain. "I feel neglected and like one of a great herd?" How silly would that have been? Although I absolutely should have come right to the front desk that night after the guy approached us in the alley. That was my bad, but I was pretty freaked out.
Sorry this has been so long winded. My bottom line: I would probably try one of the other downtown hotels if Paul McCartney came back to KC and I was lucky enough to get tickets, :).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank pixiekansas
Dear pixiekansas,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay, and I will be sharing your feedback with our team. I am disappointed that we were not made aware of your concerns prior to your departure so that we could have addressed them and done something to make it up to you.

Thank you again for taking the time to share.