“Nice location but felt rushed at times” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Omaha, Nebraska
“Nice location but felt rushed at times”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here because of the rate offered by AAA at the time of the Ice Breaker tournament, we had a nice stay in our room and enjoyed having a elevator that went from the parking garage to our floor. But the following morning we felt a bit rushed because when checking in we did not get the vouchers we were suppose to get for the breakfast that was included in our rate and not only did my boyfriend and I have to try and see the front desk clerk about it but even our waitress had to help us out...management I filled out one of your surveys that was sent to me via email with more on this trip back in october on the 16th or so...needless to say we might or might not use you next time when visiting family in the area.

Room Tip: get a higher floor so not so close to the garage and you might also get a great view of the power an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear whs2003,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad to hear you had a nice stay. I apologize for the mix up on the breakfast vouchers and I'm glad that we were able to get that worked out.

We look forward to having you back as our guest again, the next time you travel to Kansas City.

Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

somewhere in their descriptors it says "refurbished"...this may be true, but certainly not in the last several years. even the front door sticks, the interior is depressing, the breakfasts bland, and althugh the staff are pleasant they managed to get my simple invoice wrong, twice. very poor showing for a decent brand.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade to a suite....these are pleasantly spacious, if dull in style
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank doug s
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear doug s,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad to hear you found our associates pleasant and our suites spacious. I apologize about your bill being incorrect and I have shared your other comments with our team.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for just over a week, and we were very impressed with the level of customer service that we received during the entirety of our stay from all of the staff that we met. We were even upgraded to get the 25% discount for all meals within the hotel. We were checked-in by Gwen who went out of her way to assist us, even when we we had left a very precious item of luggage in the taxi that had transferred us from the airport, and thanks to her help, was thankfully retrieved! Gwen was amazing with impeccable customer service standards and she was only to happy to look opening times up for us, and do anything that would make our stay more comfortable. Our room was very clean, comfortable and very quiet, with the most enormous bed, and the bathroom was immaculate with complimentary toiletries replaced daily (if required) Our room was cleaned by Brenda most days who returned the room to its 'check-in' standard of cleanliness which I was very impressed with. Faviola, and Liz were bright and cheerful when serving us in the restaurant. We had a great couple of evenings in the bar, where the staff make excellent drinks..in particular a strong G&T. The meals were of a very high standard. I cannot commend this hotel enough.The hotel is in a great location within easy walking distance of the convention center, Sprint Center, a couple theaters, and a good selection of eateries/bars in the Power & Light district. If you want to go further afield my only criticism would be the need for better public transport, but this is not the fault of the Hotel, as cab fares could get a bit pricey.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KWMc01
Dear KWMc01,

Thank you for taking a moment to write such a fabulous review of our hotel. I appreciate you recognizing our associates in all departments and I'm glad you enjoyed our restaurant, bar and the cleanliness of your room as well as our great beds.

We look forward to having you back the next time you travel to Kansas City.

Peachtree City, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Over the past 16 months, I have stayed at this hotel more than 250 nights. I always find the front desk staff pleasant and helpful, and the rooms clean. It is a great location within easy walking distance of the convention center, Sprint Center, a couple theaters, and a good selection of eateries/bars in the Power & Light district. I can’t critique the food or bar as I never eat there – I always walk down the hill for the exercise and the aforementioned variety of restaurants. All in all a good business hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MidLifeCrisisGreg
Dear MidLifeCrisisGreg,

Wow 250 nights!!! Thank you for staying with us and thank you for recognizing our front desk associates and our housekeeping staff. Need to give our restaurant a try sometime.

We appreciate the opportunity to have you as our guest and, as always, appreciate your continued business. If there's anything you need, let us know.

Benton, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Ashley Blair worked at the front desk and did an excellant job of checking us in. She anwered all our questions about where to go and how to get there. Went above and beyond. Over hotel was great deal and good locstion. I will go back. Thanks.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank phowell_10
Dear phowell_10,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Kansas City Crowne Plaza Downtown and for recognizing one of our associates at the front desk. We are glad you got a great deal and enjoyed our location.

We are looking forward seeing you again on your next visit.

New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for only one night, but was impressed by the front counter staff. Check-in and check-out was a pleasure. The breakfast buffet, while not included in my room rate, provided a wide range of quality options. While the room was ok, i don't know if I have ever stayed in such a dark room - the walls, carpet and (very small) bathroom were all done in a very dark tone (the great black and white images of trains and rail yards around the building were great, though). Overall, no real problems, apart from the relatively loud a.c./heating system.

Room Tip: upper floors offer good views of downtown
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear DLNOLA,

Thank you for your review of your past stay here at the Kansas City Crowne Plaza Downtown. I appreciate you recognizing our front desk associates and I'm glad you enjoyed our breakfast buffet.

We hope to have you back as our guest again the next time you visit Kansas City.

Edwardsville, Il.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I spent three nights in this hotel during the NCAA basketball tournament. My overall impression was that I would have no problem staying here on a return visit to KC. The hotel is located a couple of blocks from the Power & Light entertainment district/Sprint Center. Registration was pleasant and fast. The king room was in good condition and adequately sized for two people. Room storage is good, including a closet and two very deep drawers. They do make you work for the in-room coffee. The TV, light and coffee maker all compete for two outlets. The coffee make loses this battle. So...if you want coffee you have to crawl under the desk to plug it in (and unplug it later.) My wife really like the back-lit magnifying mirror in the bath room. There is no in-room refrigerator. Room WiFi is average. There is a Starbucks in the lobby. The prices are better than you can find in most DT locations. The three elevators are very fast. We ate breakfast in the hotel dining room one AM and found our dishes well prepared. Expect to pay hotel restaurant prices. There is local Max bus that runs in front of the hotel. You can take this bus from the River North area to the Country club Plaza area. $3 all day fare.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JRTheChief
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear JRTheChief,

Thank you for your review of your past stay at the Kansas City Crowne Plaza Downtown. I'm glad you enjoyed our location and the king room. I have shared your comments about the power outlet with our Chief Engineer so he can find a solution and I appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time your visit Kansas City.