New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown

Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown
Ranked #19 of 112 Hotels in Kansas City
Warrensburg, Missouri
“Probably Not Going Back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I booked this hotel due to the location for the restaurant we were going to. It was $175 for a suite. Parking, check-in, finding our room all went smoothly. When we arrived in our room my daughter went to sit on the sleeper sofa and noticed something "crusty" under her foot. It was dried vomit. Then my husband seen bllod on the bathroom wall. Needless to say we were disgusted. Call the front desk and they moved us immediately and offered us concierge service which included happy drinks and apps and continental breakfast the nest morning. That was nice but being Priority Club members shouldn't that be offered anyway? Our new room was throughly checked by us and was fine. However first impressions are a big deal and I would choose the Hotel Phillips or the Alladin over the Crowne Plaza in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear McGee4fam,

Thank you for your review of your past stay at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown. Hearing from our guests helps us provide the best experience possible. I apologize for the housekeeping issues you experienced when you first arrived. I am glad we got you moved to another suite and you found no issues with your new suite. I have shared your comments with our team so they can do a better job with the housekeeping issues. We hope to have you back as our guest again, the next time you visit Kansas City.

Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
dodge city, ks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

The hotel is nice, centrally located, and within walking distance of the power light district.
Everything was going fine, and then I hit my ankle with a stick that comes out of the bed support. I didn't see it as it was cover by the sheets.
I called the front desk and they came up and took pictures. I asked to be transferred to a different room and they did. They gave us a bigger room and a complementary thing, that I did not use.
Overall the experience was the same as I have stayed here before. I recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear travler105,

I am very sorry you hit your ankle on the bed frame, I hope your ankle is feeling better. Thank you for being a repeat guest and recommending our hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit Kansas City.

Prairie Village, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Libby,
I would like to thank you and the entire staff at the Crowne Plaza for making my meeting an incredible success. The meeting room, suite accommodations for my guests, service at the restaurant and by the catering staff made for an extremely comfortable and productive meeting for my sales team. Your kitchen deserves accolades as well because the food was amazing! I am so happy we were able to order off of the menus and dine at the restaurant on day one and have a working lunch day two. My team raved about the fare and everyone was so happy that they were able to enjoy a custom, plated meal.

The recent remodel of the property has created an extremely comfortable and luxurious feel at the hotel. From the contemporary style to the supple beds, we enjoyed every facet of the property that has been upgraded. I will add that several of us greatly enjoyed the Priority Club Concierge Suite as well!

Finally, the accessibility to the Power and Light District by foot was very convenient. We sampled several of the bars and restaurants in the area and felt safe the entire time. As a manager, it is comforting to entertain my sales team and guest in an area where there is no need to drive. It set my mind at ease that everyone would get home safely and we spare a lot of cab expense as well.

Thank you again for all that the Crowne Plaza invested in making my meeting memorable. Please be assured that you and your team will be at the top of my list the next time we meeting in Kansas City!

Room Tip: Get a high floor. The views are amazing!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank aswitzer44
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear aswitzer44,

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown. We appreciate the opportunity to host your group and, as always, appreciate your business. I am so glad to hear your group had a fantastic meeting and you all were able to enjoy all the things we have to offer.

We look forward to hosting your next memorable meeting.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Older hotel.Very small rooms.Mold in bathrooms,very uncomfortable beds and noisy toilets.Asked for another room.....same.....not cool.Lazy valet parkers you have to hunt down.Very loud neighbors.One a good note,quaint littl grocery store down the street.Wonderful food and pastries.Great breakfast,too.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Cupcakesbyliz,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am very sorry you were dissatisfied with your room. I would have hoped you would have let us know about the housekeeping and maintenance issues so we could have taken care of that immediately for you. I have passed along your comments about the Valet to the company that manages our parking garage and I apologize if that caused you any inconvenience.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Me and my family stayed at the hotel for a weekend. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. We had a club level suite, and it was very spacious. The bathroom could of been a little cleaner, but it was bearable. One morning there was no hot water for us to take a shower, so if you're there on a busy weekend expect the same. Upon returning to our room one evening no one had been in our suite to clean it. Upon check out I voiced my complaints, and the manager was eager to make it right and knocked $100 off the bill. It was enough to deal with the shortcomings. On a plus note, if you ask for more blankets or a roll up bed- they are at your room within minutes, so the service upon demand is excellent...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Jim W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Rob R,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay at the Kansas City Crowne Plaza Downtown. Hearing from our guests helps us provide the best experience possible. I'm glad you enjoyed one of our spacious suites. I apologize for the housekeeping issue and the lack of hot water for your shower one morning. We have made repairs to our hot water system that created a temporary shortage during your stay. I hope to have you back again as our guest on your next visit to Kansas City.

Wonder Lake Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for the week and I could not say more about the staff. Always courteous and helpful. I would like to make a special mention however about Jeremy (valet) and Mine (restaurant). They were amazing. Their attention to detail and the abitlity to remember our names was OUTSTANDING!! I would recommed this hotel with every confidence that a guest would be treated with wonderful service and respect.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Candy_G494
Dear Candy_G494,

Thank you for the great comments and recognizing our associates. I am glad you found our service to be courteous and helpful and appreciate the recommendation.

We look forward to seeing you again the next to travel to Kansas City!
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Convienant to convention center and power district. Quiet, great rate and nice size suite. A little dark. All of the staff were helpful except one desk clerk that had no idea how to treat a guest. Later found out James was newly transferred from houskeeping to the front desk. More training should cure the insecurity. Hotel shuttle will give you a lift within 3 miles.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear John K,

Thank you for being our guest. I am glad you found our location to be convenient to the Convention Center and the Power and Light District, you can't get much closer. I apologize if one of our associates did not treat you properly and I appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

We look forward to having you back as our guest again the next time you visit Kansas City.