“Great Stay w/One Exception”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown
Ranked #23 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Fully enjoyed our stay. All of the employees save one were great. The parking lot elevators were not working Sunday morning. When I told the manager, who was busy chatting with a bellman, of the problem, he blew it off with, "they are always slow at check out time." On our ride down in a different bank of elevators a man and his little boy told of one the the parking lot elevators being stuck on their floor. Had the manager seemed at all interested, I would have shared that. As it was, we had to drag our luggage up four flights of stairs. With this type of leadership, it is amazing that the rest of the employees are so good.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shep8
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown

Reviewed August 22, 2011

Stayed one night (Friday) in August to attend a Royals game with family. I confess I normally would have picked a more budget-oriented place (HI, HI Express) on outskirts but wanted to see what downtown had to offer.

This hotel is nicely finished and in a prime location. Rooms we were assigned were very large, clean, two flat screen TVs, etc and the service was also very well done. We did have access to the concierge suite with a great continental breakfast and a very gregarious and friendly host on a Saturday morning. Tremendous views out over the Kansas River area and with an air show on great views of airplanes doing acrobats.

My only caution would be that on a weekend with proximity to the Power and Light district the hotel seems to attract its share of drunken frat boys to the lobby, elevator areas and it isn't quite the mix one seeks when traveling with elderly parents. But, the rooms and floor I stayed on were very quiet (24th Floor).

Room Tip: Room 2424 is fantastic!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Great hotel at a great price. My husband and I live about an hour an a half from Kansas City, but decided to stay in KC for our anniversary. We wanted to be close to power and light, the Plaza and crown center. We chose Crowne Plaza because it had good reviews and was not ridiculous on price, plus it was close to every thing. The only negative I can say was the parking sucked. When we arrived we got a spot easily (around 5:00 p.m.), but upon returning from dinner on the plaza there were no spots left. We had to stalk people to snatch their spot. Other than the over crowded parking garage, we had a great stay. The room was very clean, and the sleep number bed was comfortable and in good working condition. The bar staff was excellent, she stayed open to take care of her guests, even though her shift should have ended at 11pm. She was very helpful in suggesting great places to visit within walking distance. I left my phone in the room after checkout, but when I returned the cleaning staff had already reported it and it was waiting for me when I returned to retrieve it. Great place to stay if your looking to have a fun evening in Kansas City.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Recently attended a concert at the Sprint Center. This hotel is within walking distance to the Sprint Center and the Convention Center as well as Power and Light area with restaurants. The room was very nice and comfortable. Hotel has Starbucks in the lobby and a bar and restaurant. The restaurant does not offer quick service. The atmosphere is very business like.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I have stayed twice at this hotel by myself for a weekend visit to a local yoga studio. The hotel is very affordable given it's downtown location. I stay in the executive suite, it was located on the 26th floor with access to the executive lounge offering complementary continental breakfast. The suites are nice offering refridgerator and living room space, although this is only in the suites. Parking is a bit pricey at around $12 or $13 per day. During busy times it can be a long wait for an elevator. The staff were helpful. There is a Starbuck's coffee in the lobby. The Starbucks does not post their hours and if you go by the hours listed on the Starbuck's website you may miss them. I didn't use the pool or gift shop. I did order some sweet potato fries from the restaurant one evening and they were delicious. I have more weekend visits planned in the future and I will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
CPKCGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2011

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed the suite. You can't beat the views from the 26th floor. I appreciate your comments about our staff and our Executive Club Lounge. I will pass along your compliments on our sweet potato fries to the Chef. Our Starbucks is open everyday from 6am until 8pm, with the exception of Sundays, when it is opened 7am until 6pm. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Jim Wynn, General Manager

Reviewed July 22, 2011

Downtown location is ideal for the Convention Center. Rooms were top knotch with "sleep number" beds, quality linens and towels. The elevators were fast and staff was courteous and helpful. Maid service was first rate. WIFI internet was included for NO additional charge - getting to be a rarity these days!
The hotel restaurant served very good food, however, the service could be better. We had to flag down the waiter for drink refills and even the check. There are several fine restaurants within a short walking distance.
Their "gift shop" is poor and only open until 6 pm. Pool is outside which is nice if you like to swim under the sun.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank zerofog

Thank you for the great comments about our hotel. I am glad you felt our houskeeping staff was first rate. We think they are first rate too. Thank you for dining in our restaurant, we get a lot of compliments on our food, but I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations. We hope to have to back as our guest the next time you visit Kansas City.

Jim Wynn, General Manager

Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed here for a convention and had two double beds in the room, both sleep number beds. Neither worked (arrived late the first night). Requested them to be fixed the next morning, but had to ask again in the afternoon because nothing had happened. Asked a third time after two nights of uncomfortable sleep, and finally a maintenance person came to check them. Also FINALLY at the third request, the front desk person apologized for the beds not working. What can a hotel really offer other than a good night's sleep? We did better in the motels we stayed at on the way here at a fraction of the price. Note: They hold $25 / day on your credit card for incidentals. There's no refrigerator in the room. There's no safe either. In summary, poor, lackadaisical service at the hotel which spills right over to the Starbucks located in the lobby. Not one of them is making an effort to create a good impression of Kansas CIty !

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank pan2011
CPKCGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2011

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown. I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced with the Sleep Number beds, and that they were not fixed in a timely manner. I will be sure to address this issue with the maintenance and front office staff. Once again, I apologize that your stay did not measure up to our high service and quality standards, and we hope for the opportunity to welcome you back and provide the level of service you expect from Crowne Plaza Hotels.

Robert Avila, Director of Operations