“Never again!!!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City Airport
Ranked #40 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for about 5 nights after we tried to book the Embassy suites but it was totally booked for the nights we needed. I must say that I was not at all impressed, and this was the worst Homewood suites I have ever stayed at and I have been to a lot of them, as I travel all over often! The description said it was a luxury hotel, but I beg to differ, it is dated and isn't what I would call luxury at all!! The pro’s are the suite is equipped with a microwave, fridge, and 2 burner cook top, which all were in working order. The linens and towels were clean, the rooms are spacious, the TV is a newer flat screen, and the internet was reliable, that’s it! Here is the bad. The carpeting in both the elevators is terribly worn, and dingy, also the walls were in need of a good wipe down. The carpeting in the hall way is also dingy, and could use a hot steam cleaning. The room itself was ok cleanliness wise…there was a huge dead moth on the carpet in the kitchen area that looked as if he had been there a while, so I guess they only vacuum certain areas, and that’s it….no moving chairs or anything, cause if they did, they would have seen it was there. The décor in my opinion is horrible….everything is a dark hunter green…carpet…drapes...lamps and the couch is a hunter green with flowers, sort of like the couch you put in the basement for your kids to go play on, and the furniture is dated. The bathroom wall paper even has green stripes. The lighting in the suites is very dim, and yellow which makes everything look dirty, and gloomy. The brightest lighting is at the kitchen table. It looks as if they went with the cheapest everything! Our door was broken, so to close it from inside the room, you had to push all of your weight into it to close it, and closing it from outside the room, you had to really pull it, which made so much noise. The central air system, and bathroom fan is so loud that you have to constantly turn the television up, and down, which is a pain due to the fact that some channels are louder than others so you might turn to a channel that is way too loud. Your best bet is to either turn it off, or set it to auto, this way it only kicks on every so often. The TV channels are few, but if you love watching sport, and news all day long, this is for you. I was at a different Homewood just before coming to this one, and it was much nicer, well kept and home like. The WORST part of the stay was when maintenance knocked on the door at 9:15 Am saying they needed to come into my room to check the fire alarm system, and I had just gotten out of the shower, and was getting dressed. Got the notice on the Monday before saying that they were going to be checking the system, alarms might sound, and evacuation wasn't necessary but it said absolutely NOTHING at all about having to enter into rooms to do this….how inconvenient!!! They are in need of upgrades to the rooms…better lighting, and better decor with brighter colors. They also need a better way of checking their fire system without having to inconvenience the guests. One reviewer said that there was a renovation of the rooms, and I just don’t see it at all, it’s not up to Hilton standards. I will never ever stay here again!! I wish we had of known about the brand new HIE across the way!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HomewoodKCI, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thank you for sharing a review about your stay with us on Trip Advisor. I apologize that your guest room presentation was a concern, and we are working to correct the issue. At our extended stay property, we want our guest to feel at home and have a comfortable and pleasant stay. During the past year are guestrooms were updated, including new guestroom carpet, flat top stoves, and granite countertops in the kitchen and vanity areas. I do hope the next time your travels bring you to Kansas City, that you will stay with us again; we would love opportunity to have you back at the Homewood Suites.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I'd originally planned to stay at the Emabssy Suites next door, but I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of this hotel. It was located near many nearby restaurants and very close to the airport. The room was very spacious with it's own kitchen and separate living area. After work, there is a complimentary meal (a real meal) waiting every night that I was there. I found it to be very quiet and the beds were comforatble as well. Nice large flat screen TV's in both rooms. The only issue that I had was that the bathroom intake fan was very noisy, other than that, I'd highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
HomewoodKCI, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion and delighted that your stay was comfortable and pleasnt. From the large flat screen TV's in your guestroom to the full dinner each evening at our Welcome Home Reception. We will continue to check the fan system mentioned to avoid any inconveniences for future guests.
We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you to Kansas City.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

In general our stay was alright, but there were a couple issues. First, we requested a non-smoking room but our room smelled like smoke throughout the weekend. We tried opening the windows & balcony door but could never get rid of the smell. A guest must have smoked in the room before or smoke must have been coming through the ventilation system because the room really smelled like stale smoke - not very pleasant. Also, a light bulb in the bathroom alongside the mirror was burned out, one was missing in a lamp in the family room, and the batteries in the one of the remotes didn't work. Maintenance didn't respond to our call about the light bulbs which required a visit to the front desk the next day. The breakfast selection was okay although the milk was warm as we approached the end of breakfast hours. On a positive note, I really liked the fitness center. There 2 high-quality treadmills and an elliptical machine, free weights, towels, & everything needed to stay in shape while on the road.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
HomewoodKCI, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize for you receiving a room that smelled like smoke, the room you stayed in was indeed a non-smoking room. We will montior this room along with the vent system to avoid this happening in the future to another guest. The missing light bulbs and remote batteries that were missing have been corrected and I'm sorry for the delay in maintenance. Were delighted to learn that you enjoyed our Fitness Center and it was equiped for all your needs.

Good or bad we take each comment seriously and appreciate you sharing. We do hope that when your travels bring you back to Kansas City, that you will give us another chance.

Regards,

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed at the Hilton flying into KC on 16 August. Not impressed with quality or cleanliness of rooms. Folks at counter weren't that helpful either. On way out of KC 2 weeks later stayed at Best Western. Rooms much cleaner and nicer. Had a microwave and frig. Also, pull out couch and bed was excellent. Recommend Best Western across street. Was $10 cheaper also. Great breakfast and friendly clerks

Room Tip: Go to Best Western
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
HomewoodKCI, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

I would like to thank you for sharing your unfortunate experience during your recent stay at the Homewood Suites KCI. I understand that the cleanliness of your guestroom was not up to our normal standards, but can assure you that this is not the norm for our hotel. In regards to your experience with the front desk personnel, I do apologize for their less then helpful attitude. I can assure you that your concerns will be addresssed, as we do value your business. If and when your travels bring you back to Kansas City, we hope that you will reconsider and stay with us again.
Thank you for your time.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed there August 8 to pick up our grandaughter and her friend from the airport. Very convenient to the airport. We got the 2 bedroom suite so her friend would be comfortable. The service was excellent and the food was excellent. We were surprised in that they even served a dinner meal. Very happy and would stay again. We even changed our rservations in Arlington, Tx becuse we were so pleased. Sadly Arlington did not measure up.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
HomewoodKCI, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay at the Homewood Suites KCI. I'm delighted to hear that the 2-bedroom suite was comfortable and the food & beverage and service was all excellent. We look forward to seeing you again at the Homewood Suites KCI when your travels bring you to Kansas City.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stayed here one night as a stop over in Kansas. I normally would have stayed at Hilton Garden Inn but it was booked. This hotel is definitely not built with the business traveler in mind. No outlets for my phone or laptop. I had to end up plugging into the bathroom outlet. The builing is pretty noisy. I heard every door slam and hallway conversation. In the morning at 8:00am, someone starting playing basketball literally right outside my room window. I didn't notice the evening before because I arrived late, but discoverd the pool and activity area was right outside my room...literally. If you stay here, I would recommend requesting a room facing away from the pool area. The room set up has a crowded feeling. Not much space to set out your belongings. I'd rather have the entire night stand than a HUGE lamp that takes up all the space. The TV takes up the entire dresser top and it sits in front of the mirror. Really odd. Not to go on and on, but it's a pet peeve when hotels have unnecessary space fillers. There were 3 fake plants in the sitting area. Again, just taking up space. I rather have the table top space than dusty fake plants. Cleanliness was okay. I can't say it was "dirty", but the carpet was a bit stained and the bathroom could have used a dusting. Next time, if I have a stop over near KC airport, I would choose a different hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room facing AWAY from the pool area. Trust me on this one!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank withni7
EmbassyKCI, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Homewood Suites KCI. We understand that you do have a choice where you stay when traveling and appreciate your taking the time to share your experience via Trip Advisor. Good or bad, these surveys provide insight into the areas where improvements need to be made. I regret that your stay was not as enjoyable as you had hoped. You mentioned the noise from the pool and courtyard area, space availabilty in your guestroom, and the lack of outlets for your cell phone and laptop. Be assured, that I have noted these comments and when designing and updating our guestrooms, the items mentioned will be strongly considered.

Again, I apologize that your stay was not up to standards. Please let me know if you would like to discuss your stay further. We look forward to seeing you at the Homewood Suites again soon.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Breakfasts were good. Outdoor pool was always busy due to 100+ temps. Basketball court was well used by my kids.Located in nice newer area of the city ignore your gps and just turn left on polo ave instead of the 2nd roundabout.

• Stayed: July 2012