“Room smelled like smoke” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City Airport

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City Airport
Ranked #29 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Ohio
“Room smelled like smoke”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

In general our stay was alright, but there were a couple issues. First, we requested a non-smoking room but our room smelled like smoke throughout the weekend. We tried opening the windows & balcony door but could never get rid of the smell. A guest must have smoked in the room before or smoke must have been coming through the ventilation system because the room really smelled like stale smoke - not very pleasant. Also, a light bulb in the bathroom alongside the mirror was burned out, one was missing in a lamp in the family room, and the batteries in the one of the remotes didn't work. Maintenance didn't respond to our call about the light bulbs which required a visit to the front desk the next day. The breakfast selection was okay although the milk was warm as we approached the end of breakfast hours. On a positive note, I really liked the fitness center. There 2 high-quality treadmills and an elliptical machine, free weights, towels, & everything needed to stay in shape while on the road.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HomewoodKCI, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City Airport, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize for you receiving a room that smelled like smoke, the room you stayed in was indeed a non-smoking room. We will montior this room along with the vent system to avoid this happening in the future to another guest. The missing light bulbs and remote batteries that were missing have been corrected and I'm sorry for the delay in maintenance. Were delighted to learn that you enjoyed our Fitness Center and it was equiped for all your needs.

Good or bad we take each comment seriously and appreciate you sharing. We do hope that when your travels bring you back to Kansas City, that you will give us another chance.

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Saint Robert, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed at the Hilton flying into KC on 16 August. Not impressed with quality or cleanliness of rooms. Folks at counter weren't that helpful either. On way out of KC 2 weeks later stayed at Best Western. Rooms much cleaner and nicer. Had a microwave and frig. Also, pull out couch and bed was excellent. Recommend Best Western across street. Was $10 cheaper also. Great breakfast and friendly clerks

Room Tip: Go to Best Western
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
HomewoodKCI, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City Airport, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
I would like to thank you for sharing your unfortunate experience during your recent stay at the Homewood Suites KCI. I understand that the cleanliness of your guestroom was not up to our normal standards, but can assure you that this is not the norm for our hotel. In regards to your experience with the front desk personnel, I do apologize for their less then helpful attitude. I can assure you that your concerns will be addresssed, as we do value your business. If and when your travels bring you back to Kansas City, we hope that you will reconsider and stay with us again.
Thank you for your time.
Fayetteville, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed there August 8 to pick up our grandaughter and her friend from the airport. Very convenient to the airport. We got the 2 bedroom suite so her friend would be comfortable. The service was excellent and the food was excellent. We were surprised in that they even served a dinner meal. Very happy and would stay again. We even changed our rservations in Arlington, Tx becuse we were so pleased. Sadly Arlington did not measure up.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HomewoodKCI, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City Airport, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay at the Homewood Suites KCI. I'm delighted to hear that the 2-bedroom suite was comfortable and the food & beverage and service was all excellent. We look forward to seeing you again at the Homewood Suites KCI when your travels bring you to Kansas City.
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stayed here one night as a stop over in Kansas. I normally would have stayed at Hilton Garden Inn but it was booked. This hotel is definitely not built with the business traveler in mind. No outlets for my phone or laptop. I had to end up plugging into the bathroom outlet. The builing is pretty noisy. I heard every door slam and hallway conversation. In the morning at 8:00am, someone starting playing basketball literally right outside my room window. I didn't notice the evening before because I arrived late, but discoverd the pool and activity area was right outside my room...literally. If you stay here, I would recommend requesting a room facing away from the pool area. The room set up has a crowded feeling. Not much space to set out your belongings. I'd rather have the entire night stand than a HUGE lamp that takes up all the space. The TV takes up the entire dresser top and it sits in front of the mirror. Really odd. Not to go on and on, but it's a pet peeve when hotels have unnecessary space fillers. There were 3 fake plants in the sitting area. Again, just taking up space. I rather have the table top space than dusty fake plants. Cleanliness was okay. I can't say it was "dirty", but the carpet was a bit stained and the bathroom could have used a dusting. Next time, if I have a stop over near KC airport, I would choose a different hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room facing AWAY from the pool area. Trust me on this one!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank withni7
EmbassyKCI, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City Airport, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Homewood Suites KCI. We understand that you do have a choice where you stay when traveling and appreciate your taking the time to share your experience via Trip Advisor. Good or bad, these surveys provide insight into the areas where improvements need to be made. I regret that your stay was not as enjoyable as you had hoped. You mentioned the noise from the pool and courtyard area, space availabilty in your guestroom, and the lack of outlets for your cell phone and laptop. Be assured, that I have noted these comments and when designing and updating our guestrooms, the items mentioned will be strongly considered.

Again, I apologize that your stay was not up to standards. Please let me know if you would like to discuss your stay further. We look forward to seeing you at the Homewood Suites again soon.
Watrous, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Breakfasts were good. Outdoor pool was always busy due to 100+ temps. Basketball court was well used by my kids.Located in nice newer area of the city ignore your gps and just turn left on polo ave instead of the 2nd roundabout.

• Stayed July 2012
Boonville, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

We had an early morning flight out of Kansas City Airport (about 2.5 hours from where I live), so I booked a two bedroom suite for a family of five at this property.

The property was warmly welcoming as I have come to expect Homewood Suites to be. The suite was spacious (although the refrigerator was the smallest refrigerator I've ever seen). The front desk staff were very friendly at check-in, and the thanks I got for choosing that hotel seemed more genuine and less scripted than usual.

The beds were comfortable, and though it was an airport hotel, we did not hear planes arriving or departing at all.

The next morning, the breakfast was great. My only suggestion is that airport hotels should ALWAYS have breakfast early (I get why most hotels have breakfast later on the weekends, but it should always be available early on weekends at airport hotels for guests who are leaving to catch a flight!), even on weekends.

The breakfast staff was incredibly friendly. I cannot remember the employee's name, but she did a wonderful job, and made enough conversation to seem genuinely interested in my family but not so much as to be annoying. She told my kids why there were ducks all over the Homewood Suites, and she helped my daughter make a waffle in the waffle iron.

We departed for Spring Break that morning, and the Homewood Suites started our Spring Break off right. I'll definitely book it again next time we're in a similar situation in KC.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Scott D
Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

The room design is lacking in that in the living room area, there is a partition that partially blocks the part of the TV is one was sitting on the table. One as to be sitting by the door, otherwise it would almost a blocked view if you were sitting by the refrigerator.
Bed room area, too bad the bathroom door was not closer to the bed. The sink are is in full view of the bed(s), and if you are an early riser and turn on the light you can wait up anybody still in bed.
The hotel is right off the freeway and is a couple of exit from an outside mall. You do not really know that you are not far from the airport, we did not see any planes during out time in the air.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family