“Just Plain Gross”

Ranked #93 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Wichita, Kansas, United States
“Just Plain Gross”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is the first time I have posted a response to anything in my life. And YES I AM TELLING THE TRUTH. We had to stay at this hotel for a wrestling tournament due to the Nascar race and the size of the tournament. To start my dad is an exterminator so any hotel I go to I always check for bed bugs. Don't worry there are not any. However, there was two large yellow stains on the mattress protector. nice right. I then noticed the electrical outlet did not have a plate on it. After that we discovered the shower would not drain unless you held up on the drain. In the other room, the major complaint was it was full of stink bugs. I complained to the clerk the next morning and I get a "I'm so sorry for your inconvenience, we will make sure those are fixed for the next person who stays." What about me having to sleep on a urine stained mattress? I called corporate office and they filed a complaint. Guess what I get? A free night at the Red Roof Inn. Nice, right? Hopefully the next time is better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
i0143, General Manager at Motel 6 Kansas City, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for not making your stay comfortable and a good value. We look forward to making your next stay memorable for all the right reasons.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I actually stayed here longer ago that this, but I remember it wasn't all that great. We came to stay there because it was cheap and the reviews for it on hotels.com were okay. It was fine, just not what I would consider a real "vacation" place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Hopefully you found us to be a very good value in the area.
Powderly, Kentucky
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here 1 night on a cross country trip, and found this Red Roof to be far inferior to most others I have stayed in. Large rips in the wall paper, stains on the carpet, mold in the shower--uggghh!

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am sorry your stay was not accomodating.

Travelers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Plano, Illinois
Reviewed August 23, 2012

1 Bed ticks.
2 Commode flushes poorly, after 5 tries, it might work. Same experience with others on my crew in their respective rooms.
3 Flies.
4 Cleaning staff may not always clean your room and deliver clean towels.
5 Cleaning staff is curious about your belongings, ie: prescriptions and electronics
6 The 3:30am random wake up calls by prostitutes are always appreciated! Not after 15 hours on a job site...
7 Foul odor in non-smoking rooms.

I travel for my profession and I've seen dives before. This one ranks with the best(dives). If the rooms where clean and some tender love and care was spent, this could possibly be a three star location.

But when I wake up to ticks in my trousers, a toilet that doesn't flush, then have to worry about whom ever cleans the room to not touch my blood pressure meds or my laptop(nice try by the way). Then to chase away random hookers or scammers at all hours of the night after a long day on a hard job. We spent a week there and I would rather sleep in a rental car vs staying here again if I had a choice. I've honestly spent time in better one star accommodations in third world countries than this place. Is my review harsh, yes, but the truth always hurts. There are better places down the road.

Room Tip: If you stay here, they sell beer and whiskey at the gas station next door. Stock up for your stay. Y...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
i0143, General Manager at Motel 6 Kansas City, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. I apologize for the myriad of problems that ocurred during your stay.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I wish there was a rating somewhere between Poor and Average. The Red Roof Inn is an old hotel in need of some "sprucing up". The Red Roof sign desperately needs repainting as well as the entire building needs repairs. However, with all that said, we were going to be in town for only 1-night and didn't have much $$ to spend on a room. We have stayed at the Red Roof Inn a couple other times a few years back so we kind of knew what to expect. If you're on a really tight budget it's okay. We had a Standard Non-Smoking King room - no small fridge or microwave - and it cost us $57 + taxes. The linens were crisp and white and that was one of my biggest concerns. I actually had packed our own sheets and pillows to use but chose to use what was there. The room overall was pretty clean. One thing I did appreciate was a call from the front desk making sure everything was okay with our room. Again it's an old hotel. As far as location, if Worlds of Fun, Ameristar Casino, or Harrah's Casino are on your itinerary then it's an option. Would I stay here if money weren't a concern - probably not. However, would I stay here again if on a really tight budget and just needing a 1-night stay - possibly. Make note that they do not have hairdryers nor do they have any kind of breakfast. There is a gas station / convenience store / Baskin Robbins / Subway all-in-one store right next to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CruiseSki
Kettering, Ohio
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The room was upgraded, clean, and quiet. The coffee good. But the location is a bit off. Wedged between a gas station and a truck lot, off the freeway, among some trees. It seemed a bit unsafe although nothing went wrong during my visit. The help looked a bit down and out and the desk clerks seemed bored and angry to have customers. Ok for a one noghter, but I don't know about the guests. Parking lot was a bit dirty.

Room Tip: Upper floor back building
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SenseIntoDollars
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I have stayed here almost every time I travel to Kansas City---at leat 10 times/year. When traveling on business, it is convenient to much of the KC metro area. Both clients and I appreciate the value. The staff is always courteous and helpful, the rooms are clean, and with a little bit of effort you can find some interesting places to eat and explore in the North Kansas City area. No---it is not a 5 star hotel with lots of amenities. I have stayed in my share of those hotels and yes, it is sometimes nice to have the conveniences that come with the price. But when you don't need room service and the expense that comes with it, I have found this Red Roof Inn to be a clean, comfortable and convenient place to stay at a great value.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Econo Lodge
#2 of 4 in North Kansas City
Comfort Inn & Suites near Worlds of Fun
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kansas City North Near Worlds of Fun

Been to Motel 6 Kansas City? Share your experiences!