Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza
Ranked #80 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The price is one of the best at Country Club Plaza and it's located in a convenient area. However, the housekeeping staff needs a lesson in cleanliness. The first room we were assigned was filthy and although the front desk staff did move us, the second room still had issues with cleanliness and broken appliances. We didn't come to the area to stay in the room, so we just kept it and didn't fuss, but if I had been staying longer it would have been a major issue.

Room Tip: Get a room far away from the elevator to avoid noise. Also, inspect room for cleanliness BEFORE acc...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I was disheartened to read that you had experienced cleanliness issues during your stay. Please accept our apologies.

As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have shared your review with our staff and will be doing additional training to ensure your experience is not repeated. In addition, we will make sure that all rooms are fully inspected prior to a guest check in. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at plz@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed in room 314 for a week in May to attend a conference at Crown Center. The conference hotel was booked and here I paid about 65% of the conference hotel rate. It was easy to get to the Crown Center on the Main Street Max bus, which is just up the block and runs every 10 minutes. I would recommend staying here if you are prepared for an apartment experience as opposed to a hotel experience with maid service and toiletries etc.

I read the reviews and was expecting a dump. It wasn’t a dump, just not deep cleaned. The room was surface cleaned only: e.g. the stove top was clean, but the cupboards were greasy; the bathroom mirror and counter were clean, but the foot of the toilet had pee around it etc. I came prepared and with my scrubbing bubbles and cleaned the room for 15 minutes on arrival and I was fine for the week.

Pluses:
• Front desk staff was very nice.
• The Grab and Go breakfast of muffins, fruit (apple or orange), coffee, tea and oatmeal bars was fine.
• Lots of pillows of different type (feather and synthetic)
• Lots of space in the room.
• Lots of storage for clothes in closet and in dresser; no storage for toiletries in bathroom.
• Lots of outlets, good flat screen TV, Internet access
• Full-size fridge and stove top
• Really good location with access to public transport and Quickstop just up the road for groceries.

Minuses:
• Beds not the most comfortable, but I’ve slept on harder/louder. Sheets were stained but clean.
• Toiletries, except for a small amount of hand soap and dish soap, were not provided Bring your own everything (soap, shampoo, conditioner, dish soap, paper towels, Kleenex). They did provide toilet paper. Towels could be exchanged, though they’re thin. I brought my own. Minimum was provided in kitchen for two people. You might want to bring wine glasses, cork screw, extra knives, forks, big mug etc. etc.
• The front desk closes at 11:00 p.m. Only hotel I've stayed at that didn't have a 24-hour front desk. I got lost and didn’t make it until 10:45 p.m. which was way more stress than I needed. People at front are very nice. And they have rolling luggage racks you can borrow to move all your stuff.
• Most inexcusable thing was the curtains. They don’t have sheers, though the windows were right across the street from hospital or hotel rooms close enough to see in. The curtains also don’t wrap around the sides of the rod so the street lights shine in brightly at night. I had to hang towels on the sides so I could sleep in a darkened room.
• Yes, it was noisy in the halls if people talk or the doors slam, but it wasn’t a college dorm atmosphere. There was smoke in the halls on Fri. and Sat. nights when someone broke the rules, but otherwise not a problem.
• Maids were a little loud discussing their socio-political views, when maybe they should have been cleaning.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm glad that you enjoyed our location and some of our amenities that we provide. I would also like to thank you for recognizing the friendliness of our staff. While I certainly understand that staying with an Extended Stay property is a different experience from standard hotels, it is understandable about some of your observations. We are terribly sorry the our associates did not inform you off our office hours. I would also like to point out that we are undergoing a full renovation this fall which will address the curtains.

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

After reading all the negative reviews on here I decided to book anyway mostly because of price and location ... It's located like half a block away from the country club plaza wich means great food it's also located a short distance from the Westport district rooms were in functional order nothing overly special clean pretty modern had a flat screen tv and little kitchenette I've stayed in worse and paid more in kc .. good service

• Stayed: May 2013
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Hi there,

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! It sounds like you not only enjoyed our hotel and staff, but the location as well. Your kind words mean a lot to the staff and myself. We would love to provide you with another comfortable stay in the very near future.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I normally don't stay at extended stay hotels while traveling on business, but due to lack of availability of other hotels in the Plaza area, I chose this hotel for location and proximity to where I needed to be.
When I checked in, there was only one clerk who was on the phone when I entered. Although I wouldn't have expected her to hang up the phone with the person on the line, I would expect to be acknowledged as I waited for almost 5 minutes for her to finish the conversation. She was very nice when she finally got off the phone, and she was the only staff person I ever saw.
The hallway on the 3rd floor smelled very musty. Almost as if they were trying to cover up some heavy cigarette smoke although It was a non-smoking area.
The room itself was a decent size although, except for the flatscreen TV, the furnishings were pretty dated. I would have at least expected a loveseat or some other type of furniture besides the two uncomfortable chairs that were shoved into the corner. The kitchenette needed updating and one of the cabinet doors was off the hinges. The bathroom had mold around the tub, and some of the plaster on the wall around the tub needed fixing.
For the price per room, I would have expected much better quality.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This place is a pig sty. Halls, Common area's and rooms are filthy. No glasses in the room and hadn't been vacuumed maybe ever. Front desk area a mess which fit in nicely with the rest of the place. The location is the only thing going for this hotel. If I had not Pricelined it I would have left. They rated it a 2 star it is less than one and I stay in a lot of hotels.

Room Tip: Close to Downtown and Medical Center but pay more money and stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 97harley
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The issues you described are unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we are going to strive to be more vigilant about cleanliness to make sure your experience is not repeated.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at plz@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I would first like to state the staff were friendly. However, the hotel is not worth the price. You're only paying the extra due to the location. When we arrive we got our room, only to get to it and find out that it had never been cleaned "GROSS" so we go all the way back down to find out that another guest just walked into his room and it was already occupied. This is pittiful, I dont know what type of system they are running, but it needs to be better. Didn't like the room, carpet was stained, the bathroom had mold aroung the tub, the door look like it had dried-up throw-up and blood on it. Less than a 1/4 of a roll of tissue on the holder. The hotel needs a better cleaning staff or retrain the ones they have. Also they need to renovate the bathrooms. Im glad I brought my bottle of disinfectant. I will never stay at that one again. I've had no problems at the other Extended or Homstead Suites in Overland Pk, Ks. I just assumed this one would be even better because it's on the Plaza..

Room Tip: Don't choose one at this location
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize for the level cleanliness in your room. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have spoken to our housekeeping staff about the importance of following all of our cleaning procedures and inspection policies. We are now working to improve our offerings to ensure this type of experience is not repeated.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I am glad to hear that you felt the staff was friendly, I will also share these comments with them. Please contact me, at plz@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Understand you're saving money by going with Extended Stay and you don't get the same service as a regular hotel. But you do get what's promoted, it's nice having a kitchen, the room was fine, the location is great.
On other recent reviews... Yes, it's a bit rundown, I wouldn't say 'major disrepair'. Everything worked. I had no problem with the staff, they were on the job, friendly & helpful.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business